part time vs full time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
robbie A. mentioned a long while ago that he didnt like the handling characterisitics when he pulled his front driveshaft for long trips in 2wd. And im curious what people who have done the part time tcase kits think of the differences in handling? Does the front feel too light/ twitchy/ darty ? Or understeer/ oversteer etc?

I haven’t done the part time conversion but have my front shaft out and have driven it that way for probably 2,000 miles. I hate it. It handles much less concisely, the wheel doesn’t seem to like to return by itself as well. Highway sucks. It’s wanders back and forth and the effect the road crown, or even slight ruts on black top, has is much more pronounced. The wandering and all that could be the symptom of loose bushings, but it was definitely not there when in AWD. Mpg difference is not noticeable, and handling on slick ground is awful. 10/10 would not do.

I'm running at PT kit and rather like the way it handles in 2WD. I've replaced all bushings on the truck with OEM rubber and don't get any darting or wandering. There's a noticeable lightness in how the front steers in 2WD. You can tell the truck isn't pulling with the front axle but after a week or so, I barely notice the difference. When I was in 4-High a couple of weeks ago on a trail run, I recall the feeling of FT but don't miss it at all.

Results may vary but here is my setup:

- Front 3 link + coilovers
- Rear triangulated wishbone 3/4 link + coilovers
- 3 piece rear sway bar similar to Antirock (RuffStuff)
- Part time 4x4 + manual hubs
- Hellfire knuckles, Y-link steering, hydro assist
- 37s, approx 5" lift

My opinion - I do not like how the truck handles in 2WD with the hubs unlocked. The steering feels too twitchy for my tastes which cause a lot of over-correction and body roll as a result. I know some of this may be due to my steering & suspension setup. I find that leaving the hubs locked while in 2WD makes a big difference in the handling/steering feel so this is how I drive the truck all the time now. I don't have a DC shaft in the front so I need to disengage 4WD because I get a lot of Grrrss at anything faster than 10mph.

I've driven an 80 Series in front wheel drive and in rear wheel drive, both for extended periods while waiting for parts or driveline shops, etc.
Front wheel drive yields heavy steering, but predictable handling.
Rear wheel drive is horrible IMO. Very light steering, and the rear wants to push the front through turns (understeer). I hated it. If the weather was bad, I would have taken another vehicle.

I converted to part time about 3 years ago, and I really like how the truck handles. I have a SLEE 4” running 315s, dual swing outs, ARB front bumper with winch, roof rack and rock sliders. The truck always had a vibration after the lift that made me crazy. The only reason I did the conversation was to eliminate the vibes. Which it did. The steering is lighter than it was, but it still drives great (better) tracks true, and is very stable on the trail, and at highway speeds empty and fully loaded with all our camping gear. If you think it will improve MPG, it doesn’t. I wouldn’t go part time unless you have a good reason. But it was definitely worth it for me.

I'm not, just stock adjustments beyond the castor correction plates.

I have hubs on my 92 and LOVE the way it handles compared to AWD. Feels way "lighter" for lack of a better term, has ever so slight oversteer if I'm tearing ass through windy dirt roads. After driving mine a bunch I drove an AWD 80 on one of my familiar dirt roads and had some serious understeer that I was not expecting at all. I will not own an 80 without hubs again.

Are you guys adding toe to compensate for the lack of thrust vectoring?
You say that like it really means something to the rest of us........:rofl:

Are you guys adding toe to compensate for the lack of thrust vectoring?

Yeah, if you look at factory spec they don't have a lot of toe in on a factory 80, compare to a straight axle mini truck I guess or a 60 series and I think the 80 is more parallel.

(edit got that backwards apparently)

I want my 80 to be AWD again someday...

Last edited:
I like mine. I reckon after 7 years I don't really know any better though. My issue is blowing the tires off when pulling into traffic or leaving stop lights on an incline when the road is damp.

I've driven an 80 Series in front wheel drive and in rear wheel drive, both for extended periods while waiting for parts or driveline shops, etc.
Front wheel drive yields heavy steering, but predictable handling.
Rear wheel drive is horrible IMO. Very light steering, and the rear wants to push the front through turns (understeer). I hated it. If the weather was bad, I would have taken another vehicle.

Snap!
Have done the same in my HDJ81 and HZJ105 at different times, and agree with the comments above.

I typically run more toe in the most, and the above was experienced with bushes in good condition.

In AWD you can feel the front pulling into a turn, learn how to use it to your advantage and you can push these things through turns at a fairly fast pace.

I am used to driving rear wheel drive vehicles (muscle cars, sedans, or utes - not big pick ups), an 80 in RWD feels completely different, and just feels insecure, not sure footed.

I had an incident driving in wet conditions where another driver pulled blindly across traffic, then stopped in my lane. After locking then releasing brakes, I was able to stomp the gas, get some power to the ground and steer around her in really sketchy conditions, put myself into a gap in oncoming traffic and avoid what should have been a fatal accident with just a tiny touch of her front bumper.
I have no doubt, without AWD in that scenario, the driver who made the mistake would have been dead. The look on her face, realising she was about to eat 80 series at 50mph haunted me for weeks

Don't own a 80, yet, maybe in a week or so. But I have owned a 60 series and it felt better in 2wd than 4wd, at speed. As someone mentioned, I wonder if it is because of the factory alignment for AWD vs PT 4WD? Were there PT 80's offered in other markets? If so what are the alignment specs for those trucks vs the AWD?

I know my AWD 4Runner handles very well, but it has the XREAS suspension.

Part time and the DeltaV rear panhard correction bracket are probably the best mods I've done. I personally prefer the way it steers and picked up a bit of mileage on long trips. I am going to be biased as this was the first AWD I've owned. I don't have to contend with poor road conditions just horrible drivers. If I lived somewhere with ice and snow, it would be different.

Scott

Were there PT 80's offered in other markets? If so what are the alignment specs for those trucks vs the AWD?

Yes the were part time "Standard" model versions released in Australia.
They were part time with free wheel hubs, had vinyl floor, vinyl or cloth seats, manual window wonders, no 3rd row seats, barn door rear end, split steel rims, drum brake rear end, and probably more cheap s***.

The FSM for the Aus market shows no difference in steering geometry for the various models.

I have driven mine with just front and just a rear drive line, and i hated it once I had it AWD, I drive lot's of mountain roads, with mosss and other garbage, I would never do a part time, I hated the way it handles and there is zero proven gas mileage increase there are to many variables :flipoff2: Oh and @thatcabledude you have a 3fe and hitting 65 is a mile stone, and you live in a flat state :flipoff2::flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom