8x Series V8 Swaps (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's the consensus on the Marks engine mount brackets? I've seen some saying they were a perfect fit, some saying they had to clearance the firewall.

Are there any vibrations in drive while stopped?

I used Marks adapter, and the T-case ended at the stock location. Then welded in dirty dingo universal engine mounts as the spacing dictated from the T-case + AT + Vortec. Firewall spacing is tight on the PS.

Personally I prefer the cast iron block in off-road situations. Not sure if I’d ever hurt an aluminum block, just like cast iron if I wanted to add power adders later on. Probably sales hype from a guy selling aftermarket performance blocks who asks if you want your crank to walk like spaghetti. Vortec from early 2010 up until the point they go to direct injection. Gotta have the 6L80 or 90 for the lower ratio. If I have to lift the body 2 inches then that works too.
I have no clearance issues with the 5.3/6L80E in my '96

From what I could find, you can only do that to certain ecus. Mines one that can’t run a cable throttle, so I’d need a new ecu and re pin the ecu plugs. Or rip it all out and go aftermarket.

I converted mine from DBW to DBC. Not really that difficult in the grand scheme of the swap. Fitech is good stuff but not compared to all the adjustability of the GM PCM if you learn to tune it yourself with HP tuners or EFI live.

What would be cool to try is a Holly full stand alone.

Are you using the Fitech to control the a/c ?

I’m in Prescott valley. Anytime you’re up here hit me up!
Personally I prefer the cast iron block in off-road situations. Not sure if I’d ever hurt an aluminum block, just like cast iron if I wanted to add power adders later on. Probably sales hype from a guy selling aftermarket performance blocks who asks if you want your crank to walk like spaghetti. Vortec from early 2010 up until the point they go to direct injection. Gotta have the 6L80 or 90 for the lower ratio. If I have to lift the body 2 inches then that works too.
There are guys pushing 1500 hp on aluminum factory blocks, albeit with girdles but plenty of 1200hp cars without. Even 700 is nothing on an ls.

I converted mine from DBW to DBC. Not really that difficult in the grand scheme of the swap. Fitech is good stuff but not compared to all the adjustability of the GM PCM if you learn to tune it yourself with HP tuners or EFI live.

What would be cool to try is a Holly full stand alone.

Are you using the Fitech to control the a/c ?
Fitech has the capability to bump up the idle when the compressor kicks on. Once I build ac lines and charge the system I’ll see how well it works.

I took out my stock 80 series air box yesterday and replaced it with a 4" intake tube and K&N filter. What a difference in mid range, and I assume, full throttle power. I run a 2013 Aluminum 5.3L and for the past 2 years had it connected to the factory filter housing with a reducer coupling and aluminum tube. Anybody need a factory air box assembly ? Haha

I’ve got my intake routed to a snorkel, but I might have some clerance issues with the hood, MAF sensor & the OEM airbox

Last edited:
D1E67DE3-0617-492A-BDEE-27392631E4D0.jpeg
Here is my new air intake
Wow what a performance difference ove stock airbox
I don’t know how i survived as long as i did with the cool factor pem filter canister

Let us know what the intake temps are this summer. What I like about stock system with snorkel is intake temp is pretty much always ambient +10°

Let us know what the intake temps are this summer. What I like about stock system with snorkel is intake temp is pretty much always ambient +10°
will do. It's winter and temps in the 30's here now, but what I can tell you is seat of the pants feel is way better in mid range

How is the Coooling system performing?
Mine is always running a little hot.
I am running the stock rad with dual fans.
Temp runs around 210, which is totally acceptable and normal for this engine. I am a little curious how and aftermarket aluminum rad would do

for those that put in a 6.0l, i'm doing a lq9, did you have to relocate the ac compressor? just wondering because spear tech specifically asked and i don't have the engine yet to determine it and if it doesn't then i can get them to start the wire harness right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom