FJ40 For Sale Ads - Observations & Translations! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

True Survivor.

"Be the first on your block"

"Men with low T need not apply"

"Runs like a sewing machine"

"All reasonable offers will be entertained"

" no tire kickers"

"Reply to ad with CLEAVAGE in the header so i know you are real/not scam"

"Need space in garage for new project"

"Wife needs her side of garage back"

Chris

I’ve noticed that the French Landcruiser ads have similar characteristics to our American ads:

• “Roule tous les jours“ — rolls all day long
  • “Bon etat” — good shape
  • “Vends à regrets” — regretful sale
  • “ tourne comme une horloge“ — turns (runs) like a clock

"Engine ran when I parked it." (And just when was that? When you were 27?)

44498953_10217578427918479_7092711591069614080_n.jpg
44515376_10217578419038257_6081821721478823936_n.jpg
44626071_10217578418718249_3120889031601160192_n.jpg

I like the CL ad that says $12,000 firm. Then, it’s still for sale a month later except now it’s $10,000 firm. Later still, $9,000 firm.

Reluctantly selling.... which means I think I can find somebody with more in their wallet than between their ears.

Expertly restored in Columbia prior to importing... 100 lbs of bondo and a really bad respray.

No expense spared.

Translation: no rust hole not filled with bondo.

I know what I have. No low ballers.

one of my favorite lines : "Don't bother me with low ball offers. I know what these are worth." Usually found on an add for a $500 rat pile with a $10,000 asking price.

French version: "pas de temps à perdre" - i.e., no time wasters

Also, so many trucks seem to have had their "engines rebuilt less than 5K miles ago."

The line I get a charge out of "really don't need to sell it, so the price is firm"

Why the **** you advertising it for sale then?

“ nut and bolt restoration” the ebay version of this is....everything gets a new coat of paint, I mean everything!

This kind if applies to this thread and This will piss you off... I was driving last year to A location for work and happened to see a clean 77 FJ40 sitting out in front of a new car dealer. I stopped by to just have a quick look. It was very clean and all original, and looked like a “true survivor” haha. I was promptly greeted by a salesman who informed me that it was a single owner with 33,000 original miles, which I actually believed due to its condition.

There was one problem. When I looked underneath to look at the frame and rear sill, I discovered they had done the old undercoat trick to the entire frame, floor, suspension etc.....AND....over all of the dirt and mud that gets trapped in the rear sill area! They had not cleaned it and undercoated over years of dirt! I mean a big wod of black dirt. You could have knocked it off in huge chunks. What a shame, why would someone undercoat a vehicle that is 1 owner original! Now you have no idea of the condition of these components because of the black tarry mess!! Shame on you, idiots!!! I know somebody probably bought it without even noticing or caring.....but come on!!!

“ nut and bolt restoration” the ebay version of this is....everything gets a new coat of paint, I mean everything!

This kind if applies to this thread and This will piss you off... I was driving last year to A location for work and happened to see a clean 77 FJ40 sitting out in front of a new car dealer. I stopped by to just have a quick look. It was very clean and all original, and looked like a “true survivor” haha. I was promptly greeted by a salesman who informed me that it was a single owner with 33,000 original miles, which I actually believed due to its condition.

There was one problem. When I looked underneath to look at the frame and rear sill, I discovered they had done the old undercoat trick to the entire frame, floor, suspension etc.....AND....over all of the dirt and mud that gets trapped in the rear sill area! They had not cleaned it and undercoated over years of dirt! I mean a big wod of black dirt. You could have knocked it off in huge chunks. What a shame, why would someone undercoat a vehicle that is 1 owner original! Now you have no idea of the condition of these components because of the black tarry mess!! Shame on you, idiots!!! I know somebody probably bought it without even noticing or caring.....but come on!!!

Sam

The worst one that ever rolled into my shop was a 20 footer in bright, appliance white. The customer returned a few weeks after his first visit to ask about some curious lines that showed up in the body. I crawled under the truck and made the horrific discovery that over a half dozen very large rust holes had been covered over on the outside with sheetmetal RIVETED into place, rivets flattened, skim coated with bondo and painted.:eek::eek::eek:

Believe it or not, there is a hierarchy of wrongness. When you don't do anything in a situation where a normal person would do something, that is called nonfeasance. When you do do something, but you don't do it good enough, that is called misfeasance. But when you do something wrong and you know it's wrong, that is called malfeasance. I will go on record as saying I am not opposed to the judicious use of bondo to enhance the finish on solid metal parts. But to me, pop riveting sheetmetal on the outside of a vehicle has a degree of purposeful wrongness that is very, very wrong. Undercoating dirt doesn't rise to the same level of deliberate-ness in my book, but YMMV.

I think when I finish getting my shortbed 45 ready for sale, I will have the MUD crew pre-screen my ad for me!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom