Look into bar/bash work for 07 FJC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know the common starting point on any build is wheels/tires and suspension. However I'm taking a different approach. Starting with the bumpers and skid plates. That way I can figure out what the loaded weight of the FJC is and plan the suspension around the projected weight. So what are y'all experiences with single hoop steel bumpers, steel bumpers/swingout tire carriers, and steel skid plates. Pictures are always welcome!!!

Cheers!!!

I know the common starting point on any build is wheels/tires and suspension. However I'm taking a different approach. Starting with the bumpers and skid plates. That way I can figure out what the loaded weight of the FJC is and plan the suspension around the projected weight. So what are y'all experiences with single hoop steel bumpers, steel bumpers/swingout tire carriers, and steel skid plates. Pictures are always welcome!!!

Cheers!!!

I have installed many aftermarket steel bumpers on FJC's. In my opinion, the most well-thought-out and designed plate bumper is the Expedition One, hands down. I have Demello bumpers front and rear on mine; they have served me well but if I was doing it again now I would go with Expedition One. To be fair to Demello, they were the very first to ever offer an FJC bumper, and I'm sure they've learned a thing or two since then.

My steel skid plates are a mixture of Demello and homemade. I used the Demello front skid plate because it connects seamlessly to their bumper. It is heavy duty steel; heavy but you're not likely to bash it in much. I had to go with homemade behind that, as I did a "tummy tuck" mod after installing my Inchworm Lefty transfer case.

Let me see what I can dig up for photos.

Demello Front bumper:

Demello rear bumper (sorry not the greatest view):

I don't have a photo handy of the Demello front skid plate, but here is my homemade rear skid plate over the tummy tuck that ties into the Demello front plate:

I'm 99% going with an Expedition One ..... It was between that and a Demello... the classic ARB look is good too. A lot of folks seem to like metal tech and shrockworx too. Over on the other FJ forum site there is a good write-up on front bumper comparisons....

I'm 99% going with an Expedition One ..... It was between that and a Demello... the classic ARB look is good too. A lot of folks seem to like metal tech and shrockworx too. Over on the other FJ forum site there is a good write-up on front bumper comparisons....
I'll have to find that write up. Sounds like a good read. Right now I'm leaning more toward the Expedition One for the bumpers. I really like the rear tire swing out on the Expedition One rear bumper.

I have installed many aftermarket steel bumpers on FJC's. In my opinion, the most well-thought-out and designed plate bumper is the Expedition One, hands down. I have Demello bumpers front and rear on mine; they have served me well but if I was doing it again now I would go with Expedition One. To be fair to Demello, they were the very first to ever offer an FJC bumper, and I'm sure they've learned a thing or two since then.

My steel skid plates are a mixture of Demello and homemade. I used the Demello front skid plate because it connects seamlessly to their bumper. It is heavy duty steel; heavy but you're not likely to bash it in much. I had to go with homemade behind that, as I did a "tummy tuck" mod after installing my Inchworm Lefty transfer case.

Let me see what I can dig up for photos.

Demello Front bumper:

Demello rear bumper (sorry not the greatest view):

I don't have a photo handy of the Demello front skid plate, but here is my homemade rear skid plate over the tummy tuck that ties into the Demello front plate:

Thank you for all the info and photos. One of the managers at my job has an FJC with the Demello front bumper. It's a good looking piece of kit! Any recommendations on sliders?

Thank you for all the info and photos. One of the managers at my job has an FJC with the Demello front bumper. It's a good looking piece of kit! Any recommendations on sliders?

Well, I hate to sound like a walking Demello advertisement, but that's what I have for sliders too. They have held up to abuse really well. They are heavy, and do not bend or flex when you use them. You can jack up the whole side of the truck with them, and they still don't bend or flex. Again, when I built my FJC 10-11 years ago, there weren't that many people making stuff for them then.

The thing on sliders is (besides being sturdy enough support the weight of the truck) is how far you want them to stick out. They have to stick out far enough to protect your rocker panels, but not too far or they can get in your way. I like mine to stick out far enough that you can easily stand on them to access the roof rack. Some brands have an extra kick-out just in front of the rear wheel wells for more protection for the rear quarters. Beyond that, it's just a matter of style and looks, whether you want round or square tubing, etc. I think Demello calls the style I have "hybrid" now, because they are made of both square and round tubing.

I have the ARB bumpers in the front and like them.

Warn in the rear but they have rust issues, so I do not recommend them.

BudBuilt skid plates and they have held up to much abuse, these I recommend.

untitled-0562.jpg

I have the ARB bumpers in the front and like them.

Warn in the rear but they have rust issues, so I do not recommend them.

BudBuilt skid plates and they have held up to much abuse, these I recommend.

View attachment 1851000
I hadn't heard of Bud Built, will definitely look into them.

Bud Built is a fan favorite for many things.... their sliders are popular too. I’m making my own, but if not I’d get bud built kickouts.
Don’t forget the pink powder coat!

I have high praise for ARB and Old Man Emu. My parents have ran them for years on our FJ and HJ. Absolutely love their products

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom