Slee 2nd Battery Tray Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y'all, been looking through the threads about what batteries people are running and such and it's a big commitment, I've got kinda a unique issue...

Looks like there is an ARB compressor under the tree, I currently power a 50qt fridge and a small invertor for charging needs. My current batter is an isolated Duracell 100ah AGM (way too big for the slee tray) powered by a 100w Renongy with their 20A mppt charge controller all in the back of the cab.

Moving to the Slee tray it doesn't seem like a great idea to run my current battery in parallel and I'd like to have some sort of controller/isolator to connect with my main battery so I can charge while driving. Is there an issue doing this while also having the solar panel charging the battery/ies?

I'm just a bit confused on the next step, ditch my huge 100ah battery and buy 2 matching AGM's that fit in the front? When it's really hot or I'm not directly in the sun all day I have had issues keeping my current battery charged enough. Realistically I'd like to be able to ad a winch at some point, but for now I just need the compressor(obviously not a ton of use), fridge, and inverter.

Thanks for taking the time, I'll keep reading what already out there..

IMG_7538.jpeg

IMG_7539.jpeg

i’d add the Slee tray and isolator for the main battery and then run your solar setup into an isolator for it and a feed off of the aux battery or just use a disconnect. You might be able to run the solar setup with the alternator but I think that your MPPT charge controller won’t play nice so if recommend isolation. Check the Powerpole connector website for an isolator. I’m typing this on a phone so I don’t have a link. I’ll try to find one and post it

I found this thread on ExPo to be very helpful in clarifying dual battery configurations, and I'll be following a lot of the advice in it when I install a system in my truck in the coming weeks. The biggest issue I'M having is trying to figure out a clean, safe way to fit a second batter in the engine compartment; the Slee tray won't work with an AHC vehicle. I'll probably end up having to move the power steering reservoir and one or two electrical modules currently bolted to the right side inner fender. Someone else on this forum did it, so I know it's possible.

Here's the thread. It's REALLY long.... but you can glean all you need in the first two or three pages. He describes adding solar charging to the house battery a few posts in.

How to make a cheap isolated dual-battery setup for $50

my PO put in a slee tray and very large battery in it, but i think had to cut off the compressor mount and the battery is laid on its side with the posts pointing toward the engine. there is a tmax charging system in there now but it seems really cheese ball. i dont think it was wired exactly as designed. when my main battery died a couple weeks ago i was unable to link the two batteries and had to use jumper cables to link the batteries to start the car.

i have a very strong background in heavy AC and DC power systems and am a bit OCD so it will be getting a thorough redo soon. i am going to use the blue sea auto charging relay system and all of their fuses. my truck also came with a 600w inverter and an ARB fridge. blue sea has some excellent diagrams on thier site. its worth spending some time there.

Last edited:
I found this thread on ExPo to be very helpful in clarifying dual battery configurations, and I'll be following a lot of the advice in it when I install a system in my truck in the coming weeks. The biggest issue I'M having is trying to figure out a clean, safe way to fit a second batter in the engine compartment; the Slee tray won't work with an AHC vehicle. I'll probably end up having to move the power steering reservoir and one or two electrical modules currently bolted to the right side inner fender. Someone else on this forum did it, so I know it's possible.

Here's the thread. It's REALLY long.... but you can glean all you need in the first two or three pages. He describes adding solar charging to the house battery a few posts in.

How to make a cheap isolated dual-battery setup for $50
Right on! I'll start checking that out, thanks!

my PO put in a slee tray and very large battery in it, but i think had to cut off the compressor mount and the battery is laid on its side with the posts pointing toward the engine. there is a tmax charging system in there now but it seems really cheese ball. i dont think it was wired exactly as designed. when my main battery died a couple weeks ago i was unable to link the two batteries and had to use jumper cables to link the batteries to start the car.

i have a very strong background in heavy AC and DC power systems and am a bit OCD so it will be getting a thorough redo soon. i am going to use the blue sea auto charging relay system and all of there fuses. my truck also came with a 600w inverter and an ARB fridge. blue sea has some excellent diagrams on thier site. its worth spending some time there.

My old battery def won't fit and that doesn't sound like something I can live with either, gonna miss that 100ah battery, as it appears the group 27's are around 55ah.

I have my renology 100w panel and matching controller connected directly to my main battery through a fuse. It's been working great for 6+ months now. With a single battery (batteries plus 27f agm), I can go 4+ days without starting the truck and having the fridge running constant, charging electronics, and all the lighting for camp.

I carry a lithium jumper pack just in case. Much cheaper than the second battery.

I went with the two AGM's up front along with the Blue Sea ACR and fuses and have been really happy with this setup. So far it has worked perfectly every time. I too have the 50qt fridge along with 4 USB ports in the rear for charging...phones, Go Pro, portable speaker, etc. I also have the Renogy 100w panels and will occasionally hook it up to the aux battery if it's been a day or two since charging while I'm using the fridge, etc.

I have my renology 100w panel and matching controller connected directly to my main battery through a fuse. It's been working great for 6+ months now. With a single battery (batteries plus 27f agm), I can go 4+ days without starting the truck and having the fridge running constant, charging electronics, and all the lighting for camp.

I carry a lithium jumper pack just in case. Much cheaper than the second battery.
Well I've already got the tray, but that's some good piece of mind that using off the main has been working for you.

I went with the two AGM's up front along with the Blue Sea ACR and fuses and have been really happy with this setup. So far it has worked perfectly every time. I too have the 50qt fridge along with 4 USB ports in the rear for charging...phones, Go Pro, portable speaker, etc. I also have the Renogy 100w panels and will occasionally hook it up to the aux battery if it's been a day or two since charging while I'm using the fridge, etc.
Did you go with the same batteries? My panel is already on the roof and would probably like to just leave it connected charging the house battery all the time. I've accepted this is gonna go from something that works to a whole new project, so I'm gonna take my time and really figure out what I want, electrical is confusing for me.

Don't mean to highjack this thread and hope I am not too off topic but when do you guys start worrying about adding a second battery?

I am planning on doing a 40" roof rack lightbar and four additional lights on my front bumper (two LED foglights and two slightly larger LED driving lights). Would I need a second battery to be safe?

Don't mean to highjack this thread and hope I am not too off topic but when do you guys start worrying about adding a second battery?

I am planning on doing a 40" roof rack lightbar and four additional lights on my front bumper (two LED foglights and two slightly larger LED driving lights). Would I need a second battery to be safe?
Originally, I wanted to be able to run a fridge and not have to worry about it. That's a lot of lights but I wouldn't think you'd have any issue running that through your main battery as long as you don't leave it on for hours when the truck is off.

How many total watts for those 5 lights? Same as above though if you only use them while engine running probably not an issue. You might have a couple hours use before draining the battery if not running. 2nd batteries i feel come in to play when you add large draw items like fridge, winch, compressor, etc that you want to be able to run for extended lengths when the truck is not running.

This is my setup and I've had no issues.

Stock battery/tray + Slee second tray and yellow top optima + 100w Renogy + Controller.

Its wired like this:

Alternator to the Stock battery to Blue Sea ACR to the Second battery (Slee tray & Yellow top) to Charge Controller to Renogy 100w Panel.

With several circuit breakers and fuse box in between those of course.

So, this is how I think my set up is working or seems to work, I have a monitor where I can see when the AUX battery is charging.

When the truck is running and the stock battery reaches 12.4 volts ACR opens and starts charging the AUX battery. Vise versa when the truck is not running and the solar panel is charging the auxiliary and it reaches over 12.4 volts the ACR opens and starts charging the main battery. Since I've had this setup both batteries start at 12.9 volts.

Well I've already got the tray, but that's some good piece of mind that using off the main has been working for you.

Did you go with the same batteries? My panel is already on the roof and would probably like to just leave it connected charging the house battery all the time. I've accepted this is gonna go from something that works to a whole new project, so I'm gonna take my time and really figure out what I want, electrical is confusing for me.
I went with two Interstate batteries, both AGM. The aux battery is the Interstate MT7-75DT AGM...it's the one that the battery tray was designed around. This was my first electrical project of any kind and the planning was the most challenging part. Once I started the actual build it came together easily and nicely. I've got a few pics that I can message you if it would be helpful.

Homing in on a final plan, centered around a Cole-Hersee 200A solenoid, 2ga main wiring, and 200A fuses at each battery. Have yet to decide on second battery; that will depend on how much space I can make in the engine bay. The second battery will be tasked with running a 50L fridge and not much else.. maybe some light charging of phones/tablet, small 12v RTT fan, and a small LED light or two. No winch, no compressor. Is there any need to upgrade the OEM alternator if it's now tasked with charging two batteries? I've got a 50w12v solar panel and cheapo charger that could pressed into service, too.

Not
Homing in on a final plan, centered around a Cole-Hersee 200A solenoid, 2ga main wiring, and 200A fuses at each battery. Have yet to decide on second battery; that will depend on how much space I can make in the engine bay. The second battery will be tasked with running a 50L fridge and not much else.. maybe some light charging of phones/tablet, small 12v RTT fan, and a small LED light or two. No winch, no compressor. Is there any need to upgrade the OEM alternator if it's now tasked with charging two batteries? I've got a 50w12v solar panel and cheapo charger that could pressed into service, too.
One note - 200A fuses and relay might be kind of light for anyone running a winch, depending on the pulls you are going to try. My winch is run off the second battery side of my 500A ML-ACR, with a 300A buss fuse and a Blue Seas disconnect to keep it depowered when I am not on the trail

I had a bunch of the same questions when I did my dual battery on my 07'. Some of my takeaways...

1) Circuit breakers over fuses, CB's can quickly be disconnected if need be
2) Consider incorporating an aux. fuse box into the dual install, keep all your new accessories fused and protected
3) I like the simplicity of a fully manual, user controlled switch, to connect/disconnect the two batts. Much cheaper than all these auto solenoids that sense voltage etc.
4) I wrapped my 2 gauge wire in a yellow sheath, I get compliments on the overall appearance
5) The alternator charges both batteries fine, but I still throw the aux. batt. on a trickle charger about once a month

I have more details in my build thread and I also did a write up on OB...
Dueling Batteries: A dual setup on my 07 LX...

I had a bunch of the same questions when I did my dual battery on my 07'. Some of my takeaways...

1) Circuit breakers over fuses, CB's can quickly be disconnected if need be
2) Consider incorporating an aux. fuse box into the dual install, keep all your new accessories fused and protected
3) I like the simplicity of a fully manual, user controlled switch, to connect/disconnect the two batts. Much cheaper than all these auto solenoids that sense voltage etc.
4) I wrapped my 2 gauge wire in a yellow sheath, I get compliments on the overall appearance
5) The alternator charges both batteries fine, but I still throw the aux. batt. on a trickle charger about once a month
I have more details in my build thread and I also did a write up on OB...
Dueling Batteries: A dual setup on my 07 LX...

Nice work.. checked out the thread you linked to. I love the AHC on my truck, but the reservoir takes up a bunch of space where you mounted your aux battery and I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out just how to wedge another battery in there. Couldn't you have the best of both worlds (automatic connecting of the two batteries with ignition on/isolated when ignition off plus the ability to connect them as desired/necessary w/ ignition off) by connecting the switching terminal of the solenoid to the middle terminal of a SPDT switch, then an ignition-on-only source to terminal 3, and an always-on source to terminal 1, per attached pic. Switch in up position - automatic isolation/combining with ignition on/off. Switch in middle position - isolation no matter what. Switch in down position - batteries combined regardless of ignition state. Only "gotcha" would be having to remember to NOT leave the switch in down position. That was my plan, anyway. Anyone see any issues with this?
SPDT.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom