Importing from Nephew stationed in Japan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Daddy Rabbit

Sold 1999 LC 2005 LC Bone stock
Threads
Hi.. My nephew is stationed in Japan and would like to bring something home with him on Uncle Sams dime. What do you guys suggest that he should be looking for? I think it has to be 20 years old if i'm not mistaken ..I am talking about a vehicle here:rofl:

25 years old.. everyone in japan has caught on the the 25 year rule now, so prices have sky rocketed on vehicles that are eligible for export. Its amazing what people will pay for rusted out high mileage vehicles.

But as long as his orders authorize a POV shipment why not take advantage of it.

Japanese used cars and Japanese imports | Goo-net Exchange Find Japanese used vehicles
Price are higher on here then what he could pay at a dealer.

He also needs to own the vehicle for a certain period of time before exporting via POV Shipment. Tell him to get with TMO before buying anything.
What is TMO?

They're the ones that deal with shipping stuff for him. Household goods, unaccompanied baggage, vehicles, ect... He should know who they are. Might be called something different depending on what branch he's in though.
Thank you. Do you know how long he has to own it before he can import it?

I'm not totally sure. It was a couple months from what I remember. It was to prevent people buying and flipping cars stateside. But that was four years ago when I was stationed in Okinawa. It may have changed.
just recently (JAN/2019) the USAF stopped shipping of JDM vehicles. Sad day for the airmen.

I have a friend in Guam in the Navy. I am going to ask him about this.

just recently (JAN/2019) the USAF stopped shipping of JDM vehicles. Sad day for the airmen.

Truth. Im in the Marines but I saw the announcement come out not too long ago. I can't say for sure if it applies to the other branches of service out here, but luckily I got my cruiser shipment scheduled back in February before all of this happened. I hope it doesn't apply to all branches, so many folks have JDM vehicles bought specifically to bring back to the states.

BTW, pretty sure we work on the same base. I've seen your truck around plenty of times!

That really sucks if true.. i was wondering how long it would last for. I shipped mine 3 years ago and there was rumors about it then. 94 models can come back now right? That's when a lot of the sports car started getting really good. Hell i had to get an EPA exception for my dirt bike to bring it back..

Well guess people can put thier cola to good use and save for shipping on their own dime.

UPDATE: APRIL, 2019: Apparently the USAF has reconsidered this and is shipping vehicles again for those that did NOT choose to store a vehicle.

UPDATE: APRIL, 2019: Apparently the USAF has reconsidered this and is shipping vehicles again for those that did NOT choose to store a vehicle.

Thats good to hear. Your first post about this has had me curious the whole time. Hopefully no one missed out on the opportunity to import a JDM vehicle back to the states. Not to mention a financial hardship if they bought a nice car expecting to bring it back and had to sell because of that policy.

Hi. New forum member, but I have experience with this.

I'm active-duty Navy, and stationed in Okinawa until earlier this month. I have sent back a 1989 Land Cruiser and it's on a boat somewhere in the Pacific right now (see avatar), coming to San Diego sometime in August/September.

To get to this point took a tremendous amount of Japanese and US government paperwork and effort, so much so that by the end, it left me questioning the value of doing this.

1) You need to have owned the car for 90 days prior to trying to move it. I can't cite an actual instruction; this is what was told to me by the guy who did my paperwork to move the car.
2) Your orders from Japan back to America need to have a specific TAC code that basically says that there's money to move your car at the government's expense. Your local Transportation Management Office (TMO) or DMO (Distribution Management Office) should know where to find this code.

This is how the USAF stopped moving cars - they stopped the money flow. They took out this TAC code from the military orders stating that the government would pay to move a car. The Navy, Army, and Marine Corps have left this code in their orders.

3) When you PCS from CONUS to Japan, the government lets you store a car on Uncle Sam's dime for the duration of your tour. If you have a car in official government storage, you CAN NOT ship a car back on the government's dime.
4) The car has to be older than 25 years old from build date (mm/yy) to be imported and exempt from CBP and EPA rules.
5) The car has to be clean (washed and vacuumed), and in safe/operarable condition (no cracked glass, no leaks, working brakes and lights). Also, no active recalls on the car, and LESS than 1/4 tank of fuel.
6) Call the title division of whatever US state you plan to register your car in, to find out their title requirements for titling and registering an imported car. Ohio requires a "professionally translated" title, because my Cruiser's title was entirely in Japanese.

Assuming your car qualifies, you go to your TMO/DMO office, fill out a "POV PCS" paperwork packet, and they send it to the Vehicle Processing Center (VPC), and you call the VPC to schedule a vehicle drop-off appointment.

At your drop-off appointment, the inspector inspects the car, confirms all of the above qualifications are met, has you fill out an USDOT NHTSA form HS7 saying it's older than 25 years, and the EPA form 3520 saying it's older than 21 years old and thus exempt. The inspector takes your keys (be sure you have a second set, for when you pick up your car) and you CAN NOT drive that car any more.

This is where it gets fun. Now, you take your OTHER CAR (you have two, right?) and go to the Japanese Land Tax Office to de-register your car from the Japanese vehicle registration system. You sit in some lines, get some money back that you paid for Japanese annual road tax, and they issue you an "Export Certificate" that allows you to export the car. You take the Export Certificate BACK to the VPC and then they put your car on a boat.

Then, you drive to base Vehicle Registration to de-register your car from the US system, and then they'll stamp your check out sheet so you can actually leave the island. If you don't have another car, you're going to drop literally hundreds of dollars and hours of your life on taxi rides taking you from place to place.

Right now, I'm waiting for a call from the San Diego VPC to tell me my truck is ready for pickup. Or that it fell off the boat and is at the bottom of the Pacific. Who knows?

Attachments

• dtr_part_iv_app_k_3.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 171
SBH,

I’ll bet our Cruisers are on the same boat! Mine has an RDD of 22 Aug to the VPC in San Diego. Maybe we’ll see each other there, haha.

Or it falls off the boat and into the ocean ....

Mine just arrived this week! Now I’m trying to find insurance for it. Kind of a pain since the VIN is 12 digits, instead of the standard 17, so the insurance companies I’m talking to are having a hard time comprehending that. More to follow.

Mine just arrived this week! Now I’m trying to find insurance for it. Kind of a pain since the VIN is 12 digits, instead of the standard 17, so the insurance companies I’m talking to are having a hard time comprehending that. More to follow.

Usaa gave me no problems. They added zeros to make it a full vin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom