1HD odd noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
These could be the worst kind of problems to diagnose especially over the internet, but here goes. My 1HDFT began making an odd noise, best way to describe is an electric motor kind of whine, not a knock. It would get louder with RPMs to where it felt something was about to blow up. Truck ran normal, no power loss, or smoke. At idle its barely noticeable. In the driveway using a rudimentary stethoscope with a heater hose I was able to narrow it down to the injector pump area, which is the only thing that hasn't been rebuilt on the motor. Took it out and had a reputable shop look it over, and determined there was nothing wrong with it, shaft is solid, seal is tight, etc.

Continued to take the timing cover off hoping it was the injection gear bearing, upon initial inspection it feels tight and spins freely, no noticeable wear marks anywhere on the cover or the other gears. The bearing does have some slight noticeable run out when spun by hand, can someone comment if that is normal.

To note, I did check for the noise at other parts of the motor, nothing on the exhaust side, took the valve cover off, that was normal, for sure would hear it then if it was from the bottom end or valve train.

At a loss, hate to put it all back together with no resolution

Thanks

Just a shot in the dark, but the starter solenoid is not getting stuck is it?

The bearing does have some slight noticeable run out when spun by hand

How many klms on the injection pump? I haven't checked but I would have thought the shaft should not move because at the other end is some fairly high precision parts like the plunger

My original modded ve pump before it crapped the bed made a motor whine sound before it grenaded.

Easy test, between your injection lines on the head of the pump there is a 12mm bolt. Unscrew that (fuel will come pouring out) check to see if metal filings are on that. I forget where there is also a screen I checked on my pump to diagnose it was actually the pump. Someone I’m sure can chime in.

Also in terms of turning the pump over there is a bit of resistance as there is a cam in there. Thats normal from what I’ve seen taking an injection pump on and off 3 times.

@ForealBoreal are you referring to the bolt that you would take off to time it?

Yes exactly. It’s a quick and easy
Vac pump maybe?
It sounds like something that’s moving at all times. PS pump? Does it get louder when you turn?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom