Builds Back in a GX470 (Ferg's vehicle ADD continues) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

theferg

SILVER Star
Threads
Well I'm back in a GX470. :)

Loooooooong story short, I have vehicle ADD :p ...I had owned a 2005 GX for around 1.5 years a couple years ago and i stupidly sold it, but after trying a couple other rigs, I'm back in another 05 GX.

When I started looking, I had decided I wanted newer than my former one and perhaps a different color than my former one...but after looking at a handful of them, it seemed I had found a good deal on a silver 05 GX with 136k miles for $8k. There was nothing else near that for leas than $12k that I could find. Of course it needed all new suspension, but I would be doing that regardless on any GX I'd be getting. It was 4 hours away so I had a buddy check it out. He gave it the once over and a thumbs up, so I jumped on it. Drove the 4 hours up, spent the night, bought it the next day and towed it home on a car hauler using my moms Tundra. That wasnt really my favorite haul...the GX is a pretty heavy truck and it kept wanting to bounce around a bit. But i made it home without any real issue.

Once it was home, I gave it a real good once over seeing what it needed and started making a list of what I wanted to do. One thing I decided was that I was going to go a bit different build than my old one. Maybe a little more reserved of a build. We'll see how that really goes but here's my plans:

-mild/moderate wheeler
-same OME suspension as my old one (I loved how it rode) - DONE 11/7/2018
-285 A/Ts (already had a set of BFGs sitting around) - DONE 11/7/2018
-sliders (undecided)
-hidden winch (WGW or Buds)
-snorkel
-sleeping platform
-FJC 8.2 e-locker rear (3.90s for that tiny little extra gearing :p )
-low pro roof rack (Bowfin/prinsu/SSO)
-aux fuel tank (OEM Prado or LRA)
-prado taller center console - DONE 5/21/2019
-non-nav conversion - DONE 2/10/2019

20181012_115331.jpg
20181012_115318.jpg

For fun, here's my former GX:

tapatalk_1515344555613.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome back lol

-FJC 8.2 e-locker rear (3.90s for that tiny little extra gearing :p )
-aux fuel tank (OEM Prado or LRA)
-prado taller center console

If you come across an 8.2 with out an elocker let me know. Im interested in those last two items as well. Have you seen the taller prado console done?

If you come across an 8.2 with out an elocker let me know. Im interested in those last two items as well. Have you seen the taller prado console done?

I have not seen the taller console done yet on a GX. But I'm 100% confident it can be done and I'm going to do it. The rear radio controls may have to go, but I don't care for those anyway. Otherwise, just a matter of gathering parts (which is a bit of a hurdle in the US, of course...)

I have not seen the taller console done yet on a GX. But I'm 100% confident it can be done and I'm going to do it. The rear radio controls may have to go, but I don't care for those anyway. Otherwise, just a matter of gathering parts (which is a bit of a hurdle in the US, of course...)

Are you gonna go for the cooler box while you are at it?

Keep us posted I'd love one for myself

So, was over talking in another thread about the Field Monitors that came in some Prado 120 models around the world and I had tracked down all the required part numbers for the swap and determined it to be super costly to buy OEM new parts for the swap ($1100-1200 USD) but then plugged the computer part number into ebay and got a hit on it for a decent price. I couldn't resist and bought it straight-away. :D :p Now just hoping the thing still works... LOL

Looks like I'm going to need the top finish cover and the front finish panel, and then maybe new glass depending how it looks when it arrives. (EDIT: new glass was only $13 bucks so went ahead and ordered those 3 parts for a total of another $66 USD for all 3 parts needed)

ebay-prado120-fieldmonitor-png.1841854

Looks like this installed:

img_2367-jpg.1378079

Last edited:
Really excited to see how this turns out.
You motivated me to start searching.
I'm kind of obsessed with OEM parts that aren't on us spec models...

Just got this bad boy in the mail. Glass actually looks better than I was thinking and I would've just ran with it, but oh well, the new glass was only $13 more bucks to my order.

Still got a few weeks before the other parts will arrive, but im hoping to pull the dash apart in the next few days and try connecting it up to verify it works. :)

20181206_185944.jpg

Just got this bad boy in the mail. Glass actually looks better than I was thinking and I would've just ran with it, but oh well, the new glass was only $13 more bucks to my order.

Still got a few weeks before the other parts will arrive, but im hoping to pull the dash apart in the next few days and try connecting it up to verify it works. :)

View attachment 1848430

So yes! Im interested to see this happen.

Well i started taking the dash apart this morning to plug this thing in to see if it works and also get an idea of what cuts the dash is going to need, but when I got to taking the wood side trim off with the vents, they wouldnt budge. I've taken the dash apart in my old GX several times so i know they can stick a little sometimes, but this is totally different. They appear to be double sticky taped and who knows what else and after giving them a decent tug, they were cracking and I could tell I was just going to break them in half getting them off. Somebody has done a number on this dash getting it back together. Bummer.

So, since i was already set to order new silver side trim panels anyway, Im just going to go ahead and put that order together now and get it coming and wait to pull it off until i have all the stuff.

Sucks cause i can hardly stand the wait! I want to connect it up right now so badly! LOL

Genuine-OEM-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-Prado-120-RIGHT.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom