Builds THE LESS MAD - MAD MAX BUILD (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not sure what happened to the "Prime Directive" but I like where this is going. Jealous of the shop setup. I wish I had a bunch of cool tools and a real welding table. Awesome work, keep it up.

holy crap those sliders look heavy! Really digging the rear bumper and cat skidplate design :cool:

So what are your thoughts on paint scheme? I was thinking faux rust, more skulls , and spikes. Like that old post apocalyptic movie starring Mel Gibson?

Great read and great work/build!

I started my "side" business back in 1997 and named it "The Prime Directive" Only a handful of folks get what the name is about.

I always said my "Prime Directive" is to do the right thing. To take the path less taken. Clearly from this build you are taking that same path.

Great thread. Keep em' coming...

Thanks everyone for reading and nice feedback. I will be posting some more updates very soon!

Are you using u bolts to attach the sliders to the frame?

I actually just welded everything to frame. I know that is not the most popular option, as not a lot people do it, but its less work in my mind, not sure why more people don't go this route

holy crap those sliders look heavy! Really digging the rear bumper and cat skidplate design :cool:

They are heavy, but the weight is low, I am sure I have some other justification, but this truth is I have built a lot of sliders and just wanted to go a different way on this one

Some cool ideas and execution here. Nice job.

Thanks!!

So what are your thoughts on paint scheme? I was thinking faux rust, more skulls , and spikes. Like that old post apocalyptic movie starring Mel Gibson?

This is one of the things I wanted to tackle this winter was the paint. I will probably go with a monstaliner or similar. Originally I was going to go with a dessert sand type color, but not I am thinking I might go a different way.

GOT SUM DRAWERS!!!!

So about a month ago I finished up the drawers for the back of the truck. I couldn’t stomach the price of drawer slides, so I decided to improvise a bit.
I started with building the fame using 1” sq 16 gauge square tubing and 16 gauge sheet metal. Got helpers in the way of pics. Sorry.

I used some inexpensive rollerblade sealed bearing that you can buy in bulk off amazon. With some metric screws and lock washers I attached these to the frame. I also dropped in some straps that are attached the front of the frame and the drawers to act as stops.

From there the drawers are built out of multi-ply birch. This stuff is super strong and stable once its all put together, but is sucks to work with. The latches are standard truck tool boxes latches, which are cheap, but take up a lot of depth so the faces of the drawers are pretty thick to accommodate them. The top is a sheet of 3/4" ply, with Mac’s Tie downs dato’ed into the top. Some marine carpet and aluminum threshold and it all came together pretty well. I used riv-nuts in the top of the frame then ran machine screw down through the track and into the frame. All of this helps keep everything rigid.

For the drawer on the right I went the Inception-esqu drawer within a drawer. There is a Partner Steel 2 burner stove under a piece of cutting board. So you can do meal prep and then pull the stove out and set it on top.

Reactions: RFB
CONTINUEING

For the drawer slides I ended up using 1” sq alum tubing. This stuff is 1/8” wall so plenty of thickness. On the side that attached to the drawer box I driller 1/4” holes for the machine screws, then on the outside I drilled 3/4” holes so I cold access the the nuts to tighten everything down. I Dato’ed all the joints, glued and stapled it all. Then water sealed and added some grey stain. All in all I think it came out pretty well. Even with piles of the tools in the left drawer, everything still rolls smoothly. And a water jug fits to the right of everything which I am super happy about. Side compartments for the jack etc are still accessible as well.

@Rainen Looking good!!! Like the fab and design work!

I cant believe you built same drawer set up Im doing, Im rolling west right now didnt finish but same same nice job

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom