Snatch blocks (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for recommendations on a solid performing, reasonably priced snatch block, preferably made in the USA, to use with my Warn 12k.
I'm looking for a balance: a solid safe snatch block that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I realize this is a balancing act. Safety is most important in recovery gear of course.

I like that WARN a bit better, the plates of the two halves come together solidly. I've got and used two of them.
I've had smaller versions of the Tuff style twist a bit under load, I can't tell if the two plate halves
come together flush or not. To me, keeping that center pulley rotating smoothly is
critical. I might just have a bad impression of the picture on that site, my comment is
based on that observation. I think any block built by any of the major companies will
work as required.

I saw some numbers advertised for snatch blocks that made me wonder if the vendor had a clue about the difference between working and ultimate loads. Caveat emptor!

I have not bought a snatch block in years, so not familiar with newer offerings.

That said, I own, like, and have used the basic ARB model. I would not hesitate to recommend this model.

Honestly, a snatch block should be included in every winch recovery kit, with instruction on how to use it properly.

Alan

I have had arb's snatch bock in service for almost 7 years with both cable and synthetic without issue. I got it on closeout when a company was going under at a good price. I have no experience with other brands.
ARB Snatch Block (ARB209A)

Just remember that whatever the pulling capacity is on your winch is you need to have more than double that rating on your snatch block. You don't increase the strain on the cable by using a snatch block but you do on your snatch block and anchor point. I know that the whole subject can get really confusing but a snatch block is definitely not an item to cheap out on. It pays to get more than you need because you never know when you may have to lend a hand helping someone else out.

My snatch block is rated to 19k. It has multiple forged lines / marks across the face in a row.

If you exceed the working load limit the lines will deform. I like this designed in feature since it’s a good visual indicator of it even gets abused.

Hey, Jon - 1st, no disrespect intended, but neither one of your links has snatch blocks rated for the OP's inquiry for a snatch block rated for a 12K winch. The ARB is rated at 19.8K & the TuffStuff is rated at 20K. Both fall short of the highly suggested minimum of double the winch rating or 24K. It appears that the Warn's Epic Snatch Blocks, are one of the few reliable brands and models that are rated high enough to recommend for a 12K. Funny how on Warn's website they just say: "Rated to 18,000 lbs. (8165 kg) winch capacity and under" for the model 93195 or "Rated to 12,000 lbs. (5443 kg) winch capacity and under" for the model 92188. They don't tell you maximum weight rating - just winch capacity - and obviously automatically factor in the safety margin for you.

Edit: If "ARB209A" is Googled, Amazon shows a couple of seemingly identical ARB snatch blocks ARB209A - you can't get the details and the other - no model, just says for winches up to 15K. ARB's website is not user friendly for a search with model number. So, I guess with some searching on Amazon, one might find an ARB snatch block that would support a 12K winch.

Last edited:
It appears that the Warn's Epic Snatch Blocks, are one of the few reliable brands and models that are rated high enough to recommend for a 12K.
And on Amazon Prime for $110 delivered.
I might have to order one.

So my 19k snatch block is inappropriate for winching with a M12000? Hmm. This assumes all layers of the rope are out and I'm at full max pull which would be a rare incident.

@80t0ylc and others,
Are there any known snatch block failures in the 4x4 world?

I can see a dynamic loading incident being an issue but what about static pulls? My guess is my arb bumper and the winch itself would get pretty pissed if I got close to pulling the full max 12,000lbs and I would back off seeing things start to bind/tighten up with the potential energy.

The one good thing is the synthetic rope I am running is rated to 44,000 lbs.

289382A0-CCDD-4197-B068-6E46748796FE.jpeg
69182CEF-8181-4C94-AD74-E2F17F951CB2.jpeg
8E38D765-1022-4FD0-BD84-ED7BA4379C11.jpeg
I dabble in splicing. Made some soft shackles as well.

So my 19k snatch block is inappropriate for winching with a M12000? Hmm. This assumes all layers of the rope are out and I'm at full max pull which would be a rare incident.

@80t0ylc and others,
Are there any known snatch block failures in the 4x4 world?

I can see a dynamic loading incident being an issue but what about static pulls? My guess is my arb bumper and the winch itself would get pretty pissed if I got close to pulling the full max 12,000lbs and I would back off seeing things start to bind/tighten up with the potential energy.

The one good thing is the synthetic rope I am running is rated to 44,000 lbs.
I have not not heard or seen a snatch block fail and I hope I never do!

Thinking about a scenerio where something in your winch system would fail - that would be an extreme pull, obviously - but maybe not. If all your components are up to snuff (within proper specs) and in good shape, you would normally be alert when your winch is under load and you hear it approaching a stall. Depending on how many wraps are on the spool, you could be near it's limit. And if you're rigged with a snatch block, we're talking something more complex than - "Run this line up to that tree so we can get going again...". IMHO & speaking from my experience, there's probably a few under rated snatch blocks being used. About 15 yrs ago, after I got my ARB bumper for my '94 Land Cruiser, I installed the winch I had - a Ramsey 8K that I kept from my mini truck. I have since replaced it with a Badlands 12K, but have not replaced my Warn 16K rated snatch block yet. But threads like this on mud help to remind me to get with it and it's damn lucky I haven't needed a 12K winch rated snatch block.

Agreed, this thread has made me rethink my main snatch block. I may have to pick up a beefier one for future use. The problem I see in my local club is most aren't nearly prepared as myself and that scares me. We've had two winch education days teaching people the basics then I jump on the keyboard here only to find myself rethinking my systems.

The most I've had to winch was getting 7 trucks up a slick snow hill and that wasn't too bad on the M12. I broke a birfield in Pismo 2 yrs ago and my friend in his newer landcruiser with a M10 was barely making any headway getting me out. It was very slow and from this thread I am realizing he was all rope out and a strap in between to lenthen to get me out so he was pulling full amps and force on his truck to get my broke down 2WD to the beach.

may be worth checking the stamping on the blocks independent of advertisement, as well. There is this premier winch company out there that is advertising 24,000 lbs max capacity heavy duty snatch blocks. The ultimate capacity of the blocks seems confirmed by looking at the size of the thing. Fine so far. They also advertise them specifically as suitable for winches up to 12,000lbs. OK, a safety factor of 2 you think, maybe low for some rigging, but not ridiculously so for recovery. So far so good, more or less. But then you look at the thing itself and it has a 9000lbs WLL capacity stamped on it. Uh? They are advertising a 9000lbs WLL-stamped block for up to 12,000lbs winches? What's with that? I suppose there may be some comfort in assuming that they know that the stamped WLL is underestimated, since this is a big and solid company. But that might be delusional. Interestingly, other companies I've seen selling what appears to be the same block only advertise the 24,000lbs capacity without reference to the WLL at all.
Can't quite make sense out of all this, since it seems that the big company mentioned above is opening itself up for lawsuits in case of accidents. (I will say that it would be refreshing if they are bucking the CYA-at-all-cost current practices, but it does not help with clarity for customers.)

may be worth checking the stamping on the blocks independent of advertisement, as well. There is this premier winch company out there that is advertising 24,000 lbs max capacity heavy duty snatch blocks. The ultimate capacity of the blocks seems confirmed by looking at the size of the thing. Fine so far. They also advertise them specifically as suitable for winches up to 12,000lbs. OK, a safety factor of 2 you think, maybe low for some rigging, but not ridiculously so for recovery. So far so good, more or less. But then you look at the thing itself and it has a 9000lbs WLL capacity stamped on it. Uh? They are advertising a 9000lbs WLL-stamped block for up to 12,000lbs winches? What's with that? I suppose there may be some comfort in assuming that they know that the stamped WLL is underestimated, since this is a big and solid company. But that might be delusional. Interestingly, other companies I've seen selling what appears to be the same block only advertise the 24,000lbs capacity without reference to the WLL at all.
Can't quite make sense out of all this, since it seems that the big company mentioned above is opening itself up for lawsuits in case of accidents. (I will say that it would be refreshing if they are bucking the CYA-at-all-cost current practices, but it does not help with clarity for customers.)
After googling WLL just to be sure I understand what it meant, I agree. This 3K safety cushion that only exists stamped on the block and hidden in the specs, if it shows up anywhere else, is damn confusing! You can read the definition and explanation of WLL, SWL, NWL, MBS, MBL, etc.... until you're blue in the face and it still doesn't explain why manufacturers can rate their product any other way! They do the same thing with wire & synthetic rope. Why the deception? Are they trying to be vague on purpose? I understand there are infinite varibles possible in winching situations. But clear limits might make choices simpler in a given situation. With the way it's setup now, one might chance their luck to exceed the lower rating because the advertisement or box that the product came in had a higher rating stamped on it.

Unfortunately, it may well be that some advertisers are intentionally capitalizing on the customers being confused between WLL and MBL, and playing on words to make them believe that their hardware can be used for much higher loads than can be done safely in reality.
Not to mention that the WLL should likely best be taken as an upper limit of the safety range anyway and may well need to be derated further still for various circumstances.
Pretty bad if done intentionally, I think.
And worse, some folks seem to be also unaware that forces generated on the block can be double those of the winch pull, so there goes another 50% of your safety margin so to speak, but that one is not the advertisers' fault, admittedly.

I have the epic 12K Warn snatch block, its 24K rated...used it as a redirect for skidding some oak logs..worked great and well made

013.JPG

015.JPG

I have the epic 12K Warn snatch block, its 24K rated...used it as a redirect for skidding some oak logs..worked great and well made.....
Thanks for posting and also the pics! Didn't see a WLL stamped rating. Is there any other rating stamped on the other side of the snatch block that's not shown in your pics? Just curious because there's a interesting statement on the specs tag in the pics: "If choker hole elongates, the maximum capacity has been exceeded and the snatch block should be replaced." Funny they say should be replaced and not must be replaced. Also interesting is this link that discusses SWL, WLL & MRC.

Been thinking about this for a while and concluding that, although they don't come out and say it, a snatch block's capacity (MRC), which is commonly shown in advertisements and on the packaging, is what it will stand up to for short durations. And that's the duty cycle that most snatch blocks would see. I'm thinking that the WLL is the rating that should be used if were in continous or frequent use. So if I were running a guide business, for example, with a 12K winch on my rig, I'd be looking for a snatch block that has a WLL of at least 24K. If you'll notice, even these H.D. snatch blocks made by Warn, shown on Amazon - 33K & 36K have WLL stamps less than 24K. (24K = 12 tons) And this Warn Epic snatch block is stamped 18 tons - which is 36K, with no WLL stamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom