Opinions on bumper/winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is you all’s opinion on the demello 3 hoop for the FJ? I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on this and a smittybuilt X2O winch with synthetic line. I’ve got a pretty good deal lined up. What say you? I think Rex needs a solid 1st upgrade! I would be purchasing aluminum model. 50 pounds-ish, 67 for winch.
DEMELLO OFF-ROAD FJC FRONT ALUMINUM 3 HOOP

upload_2018-12-5_8-55-54.jpeg

Of cours that adds a touch of weight up front so I’ll have to figure something out up there to keep the camber from going to extreme.

Aluminum WILL bend... That bumper looks pretty cool. My only dig is that the hoops do not extend to the edges of the body and do nothing to protect the turn signals.
Looking at it more actually makes me wonder about the purpose of the hoops, other than aesthetics.

As far as utility and looks, I thing this is the best compromise I've found so far: Warrior Products 3530 Front Winch Bumper https://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Products-3530-Front-Bumper/dp/B009FPDGNY

Yea. If it wasn’t my daily I’d put steel on it for sure. Demello offers some without hoops as well, and in steel. By the time I size up to 33s, add this and that my GM will be bad enough.... there is no doubt if I hit something at speed it will be done. The Demellos seem to be the most revered in the FJ community from my searching so far in both their aluminum and steel bumpers. Largely due to the approach angle, strength, and customer service.
There is a hybrid from C4 which is steel but uses the stock bumper flanks. It’s basically just a winch holder. I dunno.

The curb weight of the FJC is just over 4k; do you really think you'll see an appreciable difference in mileage with an additional 50 or 60 pounds?

... there is no doubt if I hit something at speed it will be done.
And what do you think will happen to the sheet metal behind it? Last weekend I saw a nice steel bumper take a hit on the trail that just barely pushed it into the rear quarter panel. That’s easily a $500+ repair.

For MPG, you’re seriously not gonna notice a bumper at the pump unless you augment it with another bumper, winch, springs, roof rack, fridge, drawers, etc.

Ok, I think I have my problem (budget) situated. I can stay in budget if I get a STEEL!!!! Expedition One Bumper, which is my favorite now that we are talking steel, A Warn M8000 with synthetic line (should be fine for the FJ), and an OME setup from ToyTec. They gave me a good quote on a kit that uses the proper springs up front and upgraded to their super flex ToyTec springs in the back which they have engineered for the kit. It offers more articulation and better road manners according to them. I can get all that in my budget. The only sacrifice is the ICON stage 1 I was planning on, but I have had OME before, and like it, so I think that is a good compromise.

Then phase 2 will be upgraded skids, 285's and an air compressor, oh, and homemade sliders to replace the TT rock rails. Here is a picture of the bumper... it is another fan favorite over in the FJ forums...

rs=w:600,h:600

rs=w:600,h:600

Don’t let these old dudes talk you out of anything !! I like aluminum , to keep weight down on a built truck you need to plan for it. Every little bit helps. Start with the front bumper and stay on track with whatever the next purchase is. By the time you are done with the build you will have saved enough weight to make it worth while. Plus how often do you plan on bashing rocks with your front bumper. Once or twice a year if your lucky. Same with the winch purchase , most likely don’t need the biggest baddest winch out there. You will probably not use it more than once or twice a year.

For recovery gear, I feel like when you need it you need it. I'm a long time Warn fan. I've only had one winch and it was a warn. Every winch I've used on heavy rescues in the department were Warns... I think I'm the type that is loyal to something that does me well. There are some decent deals on the 8000 now, so I think its worth it. I think I changed my mind on aluminum. I even pm'd some guys with their aluminum bumpers on their FJs and they kinda regretted it. Saw a few low speed post accident pictures that made me concerned. I hit a deer in my neighborhood with my friends truck earlier in the year... well "we" did, but I was driving. I think the extra 50 pounds is worth the overall increase in protection. I definitely hear you, but I checked my MPG today at fill-up... I can spare a bit... at the end of the day is 50 pound worth over 500 bucks and less protection and limited options... for me I think its no. I have also heard of ICONs and other adjustable not liking Virginia salt, but thats just rationalizing : ) They for sure would be nice, but like I said, OME was good on my '85 and my 80......

I bought some bolt-on slider brackets for my wife's FJC a decade ago and I never used them. If I find them in my piles of junk I'll send them your way. The key words here are "if" and "find".

You’ve clearly thought about it, just pull the trigger. It’s not like we’re talkin cutting the roof off, go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom