Oil Filter for 1kz-te (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I have a quick question. There are two oil filter numbers that i'm getting from a cross reference search for my oil filter on my 95 kzj78 prado. 90915-30002 and 90915-30001. the 30002 is 71 dollars from the dealer and the 30001 is 37 dollars. I have been using the 30002 and they are quite large. I'm assuming the cheaper one is smaller. Any pros/cons for either and is there a better filter I should be using. I know oil filters have been beat to death on here but not a lot of info regarding the 1kzte so I apologise in advance if i'm missing something.

Cheers

Marc

I haven't looked up the difference between those two (as I use a Baldwin from Lordco or Wix from Napa), but what I can tell you, is the same filter the 1KZTE uses is also used for the 1HDT, 1HZ, 1PZ and 2LTE. So if you do oil filter searches for those motors, the same information will apply to your motor....

I haven't looked up the difference between those two (as I use a Baldwin from Lordco or Wix from Napa), but what I can tell you, is the same filter the 1KZTE uses is also used for the 1HDT, 1HZ, 1PZ and 2LTE. So if you do oil filter searches for those motors, the same information will apply to your motor....
Thanks Nick,
I had read that the Wix filters were causing some issues. Have you heard that as well? There was quite a few different brands in the cross reference website I found. Would be great to not use Toyota ones as they cost a fortune!

Marc

So I did a bit more research. The 30001 is a much shorter filter than the 30002. From what I can tell the bottom measurements/gasket are the same but it's about half the size. I'm assuming that the larger one is a better choice?

I have been using the 30002 and they are quite large.

Its also the same filter used on the 1HZ 1HDT ect. So its obviously there to cope with more oil. The 1KZ is a close relation to the 6 cyl engines and uses many of the design features.

You could buy a good aftermarket filter in the larger size for less than the small filter. No one buys Toyota filters in Australia

Its also the same filter used on the 1HZ 1HDT ect. So its obviously there to cope with more oil. The 1KZ is a close relation to the 6 cyl engines and uses many of the design features.

You could buy a good aftermarket filter in the larger size for less than the small filter. No one buys Toyota filters in Australia

What filters do you use, and do you have a part number for it. I'm mainly looking for the large size.

Thanks!

Thanks Nick,
I had read that the Wix filters were causing some issues. Have you heard that as well? There was quite a few different brands in the cross reference website I found. Would be great to not use Toyota ones as they cost a fortune!

Marc

Yeah, I don't think the Wix quality is the best. I like the ones I've been getting from Lordco though. They seem to be good quality, are always in stock and price is reasonable. I can find the part number for you if you want. It is the larger size.

Yeah, I don't think the Wix quality is the best. I like the ones I've been getting from Lordco though. They seem to be good quality, are always in stock and price is reasonable. I can find the part number for you if you want. It is the larger size.

Thanks Nick,
That would be great if you have the part number for the Lordco ones, I don't know if the large or small makes a difference, but in my head I like the idea of the large size, maybe more filter area?

Cheers

Marc

Thanks Nick,
That would be great if you have the part number for the Lordco ones, I don't know if the large or small makes a difference, but in my head I like the idea of the large size, maybe more filter area?

Cheers

Marc

OK, will do (tonight when I get home). Yeah, I've always used the larger ones too. There are some small Toyota diesel engines (3CTE) that use the same filter series, and I think the small filters are meant for them.

I use Donaldson's or Ryco. Just google them or look on eBay for 1HZ oil filter. There are deals where you can get a complete oil, air and fuel filter kit.

I use Donaldson's or Ryco. Just google them or look on eBay for 1HZ oil filter. There are deals where you can get a complete oil, air and fuel filter kit.

Both of those seem quite hard to find in Canada unfortunately. Shipping from Aus costs more money than the filters from what I've seen. Seems people have good results with the Ryco's though.

Cheers,

Marc

Hey Marc,

I've been buying the Baldwin BD7029. I get it for about $40 with a mild discount at Lordco. (Not sure if you have a Lordco where you are?).

I've got a used one waiting to go to recycle. I should cut it apart to see what's inside. I did this with a Wix one a while back.

Hey Marc,

I've been buying the Baldwin BD7029. I get it for about $40 with a mild discount at Lordco. (Not sure if you have a Lordco where you are?).

I've got a used one waiting to go to recycle. I should cut it apart to see what's inside. I did this with a Wix one a while back.

Thanks Nick,

We don't have Lordco here. I think it's a BC company actually, but I can cross reference and see what else comes up. I'm reticent to use the Wix after reading horror stories on here about catastrophic engine failures. I guess Fram is Wix as well. If you ever cut one up I'd be keen to know how they are made. I'm not far from BC and can probably do a road trip for a case if they are well made. I have just been using mother Toyota's OEM ones but 80 a filter is a bit of money, substantially less than an engine I guess.

Thanks for getting back to me!

You're welcome. The Wix one I was buying was actually a NAPA part number. Not sure if they improve their manufacturing quality for Napa or not. It was a dual element inside, but not the toilet paper roll style like Toyota.

OK, dug up the picture of the Wix I cut open: 80 Series Toyota Oil Filter Options

People in that thread mention the Baldwin is a better filter and also a dual element.

Thanks for the link. Seems like it might be worth it for the OEM Toyota ones for the tp roll. I'm not super experienced with filter elements but it seems to me that it must do a better job of filtering particles. I'm running 0-40 t6 Rotella oil and want to go at least 8k km per oil change. Maybe the extra dollars are worth it in the long run, when I had my head off the motor looked like it was in pretty good shape.

I've been buying them on Amazon, moderately worried they are knock offs. Any thoughts on that?

Marc

Not sure what to tell you about how to tell which are knock-offs, however if you are doing longer oil changes, then a top quality filter is definitely worth it. You should be able to get a better price than what you are currently paying? Try buying bulk filters to reduce your cost? Should be able to get them for around $50 shipped CAD from what I see....

I do 2-3 oil changes a year and I only put on 5000km. A bit much, but I'm really really hard on my motor while towing, so I figure better safe than sorry.

Not sure what to tell you about how to tell which are knock-offs, however if you are doing longer oil changes, then a top quality filter is definitely worth it. You should be able to get a better price than what you are currently paying? Try buying bulk filters to reduce your cost? Should be able to get them for around $50 shipped CAD from what I see....

I do 2-3 oil changes a year and I only put on 5000km. A bit much, but I'm really really hard on my motor while towing, so I figure better safe than sorry.

When I am using the synthetic 0-40 T6 Rotella in the winter I don't go over 8k and in the summer I run 15-40 T5 semi synthetic Rotella I go no more than 5k.

Where did you see the bulk filters for 50 each?

I am not towing anything, honestly don't think my truck could handle it currently, egt pre turbo easily gets to 1200f when I'm running my 31s in the winter and I can barely make it up a hill without having to slow to a crawl with my 33s to stay below 1300.

Thanks for the info!

When I am using the synthetic 0-40 T6 Rotella in the winter I don't go over 8k and in the summer I run 15-40 T5 semi synthetic Rotella I go no more than 5k.

Where did you see the bulk filters for 50 each?

I am not towing anything, honestly don't think my truck could handle it currently, egt pre turbo easily gets to 1200f when I'm running my 31s in the winter and I can barely make it up a hill without having to slow to a crawl with my 33s to stay below 1300.

Thanks for the info!

I priced them quickly on Partsouq/Amayama/Megazip. You should contact Yan at cruiseraddiction and see how much he can get them for. He's a great guy and I've bought quite a bit from him. CRUISER ADDICTION - TOYOTA OEM LANDCRUISER PARTS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom