SD-40 Possible Production pt.2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I plan on producing the blue plate too. One thing at a time. I am in need of both and the glass window is more important to me atm. Once I get to the point, I would need a volunteer to let me borrow a plate. I do not believe @Trollhole has a plate that I can borrow. (he let me borrow a glass window). I have access to a press and laser so producing that plate shouldn't be too difficult... I hope...
I have blue carb plates and gray plates if it helps the your cause. Let me know

I am slowly making progress. I switched from borosilicate glass to regular plate glass. Borosilicate has a much higher melting temperature and it cools more rapidly. This made the slumping process harder.

So I purchased 10 glass blanks to try out.
upload_2018-8-28_11-52-32.png

Kiln test 2:
upload_2018-8-28_11-52-48.png

Looking good.
upload_2018-8-28_11-53-2.png

upload_2018-8-28_11-54-11.png

The top and bottom caved in a little so I will need to purchase slightly larger glass plates. The white powder is a mold release Boron nitride.

While attempting to get it out of the mold, it cracked...
upload_2018-8-28_11-55-10.png

upload_2018-8-28_11-55-21.png

But the definition is there.

upload_2018-8-28_11-55-37.png

Until I tried to flame burnish the surface to make it clear...
upload_2018-8-28_11-56-10.png

I still need to figure out the tempering and annealing process. It shattered into 1000 pieces when I tried to heat it up. too much stress in the glass.

Whatever cheerleading you need, you got it! This is so frigging cool, it's kind of like our version of the discovery channel!

The lengths we go to for originality... I agree with Mark, this whole process has been just too cool!

I watched a "How it's Made" episode recently about sheet glass manufacturing. One of the first things mentioned was how proprietary some of the steps were in making glass that was optically clear and fracture resistant. You may have to bribe someone who works at a glass shop to share their secrets!

Young Krondor,

For your amusement, here are a couple bloopers from my first attempts at making the early tail light cones. The heat necessary to soften this Kydex was way more than I could handle.
20181205_090635.jpg
20181205_090914.jpg

just thought i would add that i recently got a DW35 2 barrel big window carby, from a Toyota Stout and or Crown and it has a Plastic window not glass. It is somewhat stained from years of use but it seems like it will clean up pretty well. I was not aware that plastic windows existed or that they would work. the fuel level line is a groove on
dw35.JPG
the inside rather than raised on the outside otherwise exactly the same.

So the project has been on hold for a while. I have been busy with life and the rest of the Land cruiser project. I will hopefully get back to glass slumping after the holidays.

@HelloKitty65 It is reassuring to see your failed attempts in producing the reproduction tail light cones. For I have failed multiple times so far. But you managed to succeed so it gives me hope.

@FJ45VTOZ That is interesting that you have a plastic window. I have never heard of that either. I may go back and look into different plastics if the glass continues to not work out.

just thought i would add that i recently got a DW35 2 barrel big window carby, from a Toyota Stout and or Crown and it has a Plastic window not glass. It is somewhat stained from years of use but it seems like it will clean up pretty well. I was not aware that plastic windows existed or that they would work. the fuel level line is a groove on View attachment 1847698 the inside rather than raised on the outside otherwise exactly the same.

I'll double check my stout carb, almost positive mine is glass and that back plate says Nikkei?

I'll double check my stout carb, almost positive mine is glass and that back plate says Nikkei?
i think they were the later ones, this one would be 64-67 i think in production at the same time as the fJ40/5 ones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom