Skid Plate Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,

I bought my 100 used and it did not come with the front skid plate. I've been searching and it seems the choices are Slee, Bump It Off-Road, and maybe Dissent. Am I missing any viable options...and what would you put on your 100 if you were you? I'm looking at adding an ARB bull bumper in the future, too. Thanks in advance for any advice you could throw my way.

Whichever are most affordable.

Guys,

I bought my 100 used and it did not come with the front skid plate. I've been searching and it seems the choices are Slee, Bump It Off-Road, and maybe Dissent. Am I missing any viable options...and what would you put on your 100 if you were you? I'm looking at adding an ARB bull bumper in the future, too. Thanks in advance for any advice you could throw my way.

@cpainter You've covered all the bases. Really it depends on your use and your budget. We can have the aluminum vs steel debate all day, but really it depends on your line on the trail. I am choosing @benc Dissent OR in Aluminum for weight savings. There are a couple of folks with them and have gone up or down trails such as Black Bear Pass and a couple in MOAB. Some skids have been hit hard, but I think its free R&D for Dissent OR. Good Luck!

@cpainter You've covered all the bases. Really it depends on your use and your budget. We can have the aluminum vs steel debate all day, but really it depends on your line on the trail. I am choosing @benc Dissent OR in Aluminum for weight savings. There are a couple of folks with them and have gone up or down trails such as Black Bear Pass and a couple in MOAB. Some skids have been hit hard, but I think its free R&D for Dissent OR. Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply. Black Bear will be one of the trails I drive it on. We go to Ouray every summer to do the Alpine Loop area trails. We're planning on going to the 100's in the Hills event this year in Silverton instead of going to Ouray. For the most part, the stock skids would probably do fine for us if I could find the front plate, but it looks like aftermarket plates might be easier to find and definitely stronger. I'll try to get in touch with Dissent and ask them about theirs.

So just to be clear, those stock "skids" aren't skid plates at all, but rather thin sheet metal and fiberglass splash pans. You def don't want to attempt to use one of those as protection or you'll be dragging all your important bits on the sharp stuff.

I've driven some pretty stupid trails with no skids (Radical Hill up near Breckenridge comes to mind lol), so it really all depends on your confidence level in terms of finding the right line.

That said, really all depends on what you're going to use these for. I'd prob go with Ben's aluminum plates for weight savings since my 100 is already a slow pig (don't tell her I said that!).

If you contact Ben at Dissent he will give you a candid assessment of how he thinks his product will perform considering your wheeling plans. I had already decided to go with Dissent for my skids, and a phone consult with Ben yesterday just served to reinforce that decision. It's a nice perk to be able to talk to the guy that designs and fabricates the product.

My 100 was also missing it's skids or "engine covers" as Toyota calls them. The plastic skid I could care less about. I wouldn't mind having a front skid, however. I plan to go with a new or used factory skid. The wheeling I do is logging/ gas well roads and forest service roads. I see far more mud than rocks. I can't justify dropping $500 on heavy duty after market skids for my needs.

Went through this just recently - for the price of a stock option [~$325], I'll be doing something from the folks you mentioned. My front plate was completely rusted out.

Weighed out going with aluminum option over the weight of steel as I don't drag over hardcore trails and the saved weight is a good upside for gas.

That said, I did go with TJM aluminum underplates [middle, rear] and will probably go with Slee's aluminum option [on the front] for simple reasons of proximity and not paying shipping. If things change in what I tackle in the future, I can always upgrade where needed.

Cost = $255 for bottom plates and $425 for front. Price was a consideration as well. HTH

I'm sure BIO, Dissent, ect are amazing. I went with the Slee aluminum front since I had a Slee diff drop and didn't know how that would have affected the others. Eventually I got the steel intermediate and belly pans and I couldn't be happier with it. Have definitely gouged out and bent some of the front aluminum but I needed the weight savings there and it's still there protecting everything. Perfectly engineered for bolt on. You won't go wrong with any options but the factory "skid". Pay 100 more and get something that actually helps you

I'm convinced I need more protection than factory plates provide. Now I just gotta gather some intel and make an informed decision. Thank you guys very much for the feedback. I'll post what I settle on when I decide.

Guys,

If you are planning a front bumper, buy a skid that integrates well with front bumper. Some vendors overlooked providing a solution to filling the big gap between the bumper and front skid leaving the lower part of the rad/condensor exposed to road trail debris. Two vendors offer an intermediate cover as a part of their skid kit that spans this gap: Dissent or ARB.

I am partial to Dissent because his bumpers and skids are really well designed, hand crafted in his shop, exceptional material and finished quality and friendly service. Nothing against arb but its a mass produced product of a different calibur.

If you are planning a front bumper, buy a skid that integrates well with front bumper. Some vendors overlooked providing a solution to filling the big gap between the bumper and front skid leaving the lower part of the rad/condensor exposed to road trail debris. Two vendors offer an intermediate cover as a part of their skid kit that spans this gap: Dissent or ARB.

I am partial to Dissent because his bumpers and skids are really well designed, hand crafted in his shop, exceptional material and finished quality and friendly service. Nothing against arb but its a mass produced product of a different calibur.

Slee leaves no gap between the front skid plate (mine's steel) and an ARB bumper. I can't speak to any other combination though.

Slee leaves no gap between the front skid plate (mine's steel) and an ARB bumper. I can't speak to any other combination though.

Sorry let me clarify, The ARB front bumper comes with the intermediate filler piece. The slee skid doesn't. The Dissent front skid comes with the intermedediate filler piece.

Full Slee steel. Work well and have been beat on.

ASFIR 4x4 Skid Plates

I bookmarked this thread awhile ago, may still be an option?

I looked into this and like the looks of their products, but it looks like they only offer skids for the diesel LC 100 unless I'm missing something. So far, my favorite is Dissent's creations. Dang, that stuff is a work of art and Ben seems to be a great guy. Ben's stuff is very reasonably priced for the quality and design too. I'm going to have to do some serious thinking about what I need and can justify.

I looked into this and like the looks of their products, but it looks like they only offer skids for the diesel LC 100 unless I'm missing something. So far, my favorite is Dissent's creations. Dang, that stuff is a work of art and Ben seems to be a great guy. Ben's stuff is very reasonably priced for the quality and design too. I'm going to have to do some serious thinking about what I need and can justify.

One unseen rock, log or even large stick could cause tons of damage to the unprotected front. Possibly leaving you stranded.. that's enough for me to have some insurance up front. Very happy with my Slee, although I decided on dissent for the rear bumper. Honestly, anything is better than stock (which isn't horrible for a single hit

I came away with the same determination but they appear to work with some modification. Pretty sure mods we're described in that thread, I did not go back and read the whole thing recently so do not know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom