anyone out there had a diesel swap done in their 200? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
That’s just a silly amount of money. $40,000 buys a whole bunch of gas.

$40,000 for 120 less HP and no dealer in the country that knows how to work on it?

thanks-nothanks-300x262.jpg

and no dealer in the country that knows how to work on it?
That was the big problem a guy at Overland Expo east 2017 had. His turbo failed him at 60,000 miles in Mongolia, but he was able to get a new one. Then it failed again, but he was in the States and has having a hell of a time getting the part. His story, not mine.

Two failed turbos? That's not the kind of reliability that I would want from an engine.

I am neither trolling or pissing in the punch bowl but as I understand the regs, the motor is not legal to import.

Can anyone enlighten me on the subject?

Ya because we all know that "lackluster performance" of the 5.7. What a bunch of hooey. :rolleyes:

Agreed with the above. The swap would be interesting from a novelty standpoint. But not much more.

- The 3UR is more powerful...way more 381hp vs ~250hp
- Want more torque (at the wheels), there's gearing upgrades
- Want more range, add a subtank, up to 40gallons - giving ~1000mile range (unless you're really built and getting 10mpg, or 650 mile range in that case)
- Want even more power, add supercharger

Here's an interesting thing that been generally true for many vehicles that have a diesel option:
- Add diesel motor, get less payload capacity

You can import the engine and have it in installed. I have been over to Diesel Toys a couple of times and they do a great job, but the 200 series is a MESS. Virtually every computer is different (transmission, ECU, etc) so you have to swap all of those out as part of the conversion. The wiring harness is also completely different. What I have heard is that even after you replace as much of the wiring harness and as many computers as you can it will still throw a "check engine". DT has come up with a "hack" to flash the ECU with to ignore the CLE so you can pass a typical inspection, but just the idea of hacking the ECU to ignore the CLE is a bad idea IMO. That said - there is NO WAY I would even consider a diesel swap in a US 200 series. Diesel engines today as NOT the old simple tractor engines many are familiar with. They have highly complex BOSCH injection systems, EGR, DPF, etc. These are all synchronized via the ECU and other supporting computers. It is not a matter of being a "diesel tech" to handle the swap - nobody is well suited to pull every wire and computer out of a 200 and replace it with parts likely pulled from a wrecked vehicle somewhere around the globe.

Keep in mind the diesel engine is also heavier so you also need to look at front springs and shocks.

For $40k you'd be better off looking for a used diesel overseas and shipping it to the US under the "show or display" law, especially since this wont be road-legal anyway

Aussie weighing in here. Owner of a petrol and diesel 200.

We got the final variant 2UZ-FE 4.7 Petrol V8 in the Cruisers and the 5.7 in the LX570.

The petrol has been superior to own in every regard. It is quieter on the highway, better around town and the maintenance costs are far less. Additionally if you are looking at super long term ownership the petrols are well documented as capable reaching 1 million miles.

The early 07-10 turbos had Oil burning issues, turbo issues, injector issues and now the update is having DPF-EGR issues. I do love the torque and fuel economy benefits of the diesel but It's not as superior as the petrol in any other regard. Most of my countrymen would disagree but not sure they own both.

Here in the Philippines where diesel is cheaper than unleaded, it's a no-brainer. That's why 200 series here are everywhere, but you will hardly see a Patrol despite it being US$10k cheaper - because it only comes with a gasoline V8. My VDJ has the same fuel consumption as my manual 3 series, so it actually costs me less to drive the 200 :)

I don't think you'll find anybody with a diesel 200 who wishes they had the 3UR instead, but you'll find someone with a gasoline 200 who wishes they had the diesel.

So no need to hate on the diesel :) But I do agree that $40k is too much for the conversion. You can buy a used diesel 200 now for that kind of money, or wait 16 years when will be legal to import the 2009s and it will be even cheaper by then

Last edited:
Here in the Philippines where diesel is cheaper than unleaded, it's a no-brainer. That's why 200 series here are everywhere, but you will hardly see a Patrol despite it being US$10k cheaper - because it only comes with a gasoline V8. My VDJ has the same fuel consumption as my manual 3 series, so it actually costs me less to drive the 200 :)

I don't think you'll find anybody with a diesel 200 who wishes they had the 3UR instead, but you'll find someone with a gasoline 200 who wishes they had the diesel.

So no need to hate on the diesel :) But I do agree that $40k is too much for the conversion. You can buy a used diesel 200 now for that kind of money, or wait 16 years when will be legal to import the 2009s and it will be even cheaper by then

Most likely coming to the Philippines in 2019. I would love a ride in the VDJ just to feel what its like....if its not too much to ask. :)

I don't see any hate on here, just logical conclusions that it doesn't make sense the US. In places where you live, it makes a ton of sense, but here in the US the economics don't even come close to working out.

If anyone has $40k+ to throw at their 200, that's more than halfway to a Maltec conversion, or it's more than enough to have a very complete build (including a supercharger for more power). That's a FAR better way to spend your coin no doubt.

I absolutely love when people do stuff like this to cars. I liked the camaro / charger cummins conversion too, kind of neat stuff. Putting new engines where the weren't originally is great. However, I would definitely spend my differently. Fun project if you have free time, not such a wise investment for the cost. I'd rather keep it in the family and swap the 5.0 from the F series or the V10 LFA engine if we're doing expensive things without a return.

Nothing wrong with diesel, especially straight from the manufacturer.

I wonder if part of the reason why the diesel isn't offered in the US, is that we have big open expanses of road, much like Australia, where power (HP) at higher speeds and steep grades is a bigger factor. I've personally never been ot the Philippines, but I'm assuming the roads are not as expansive and as high speed as ones in the US?

So why does Australia get the diesel and not the US? I think it's partly due to our infrastructure (and more stringent EPA). Specifically the network of gas stations, where coverage is ubiquitous. Versus the Outback in Australia that has big gaps in coverage, and sometimes only diesel coverage in the more remote areas.

Aussie weighing in here. Owner of a petrol and diesel 200.

We got the final variant 2UZ-FE 4.7 Petrol V8 in the Cruisers and the 5.7 in the LX570.

The petrol has been superior to own in every regard. It is quieter on the highway, better around town and the maintenance costs are far less. Additionally if you are looking at super long term ownership the petrols are well documented as capable reaching 1 million miles.

The early 07-10 turbos had Oil burning issues, turbo issues, injector issues and now the update is having DPF-EGR issues. I do love the torque and fuel economy benefits of the diesel but It's not as superior as the petrol in any other regard. Most of my countrymen would disagree but not sure they own both.

What do you see in terms of the range between the gas and the diesel? That's the one thing I love about some diesels, insane ranges. I think my buddy with his Grand Cherokee diesel gets 700+ miles to a tank.

For $40k you'd be better off looking for a used diesel overseas and shipping it to the US under the "show or display" law, especially since this wont be road-legal anyway

Sadly show and display is only for a pre-defined list of very rare cars (e.g., Porsche 959, the Pope's Ferrari).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom