Builds '81 Trekker ReDistruction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe the stinger is not as extreme as that photo makes it look. Still option B?
IMG_20180615_081514.jpg
IMG_20180614_144228.jpg

The Exo cage with the stinger!

It would be nice if the stinger was a little smaller. But you need a winch!

The Exo cage with the stinger!

It would be nice if the stinger was a little smaller. But you need a winch!
Could play connect the dots in the future and go full on Aussie style with the "bar work".

Thanks for the feedback fellas!

Forward progress!

I've been poking away on this thing, mostly collecting parts and re-assembling it after the fab work.

Got some new, aftermarket seatbelts for "Toyota pickup" off eBay, they came with nice metric hardware and went in with minamal fuss. The originals were roached.
IMG_20181106_125329.jpg

Some rust prevention, converter work.

Made some nice, heavy battery cables and got it to a point where I want to drive it around a bit.

IMG_20181106_132250.jpg

IMG_20181106_132212.jpg

Lots of crank crank crank, some sputtering and running, but nothing consistent. Went ahead and yanked the carb, got a parts store rebuld kit, am just finishing that up. I didn't do a very thorough job of it the first time around a few years back.

Also found a repop replica carb on eBay for $86 shipped. I'll report back on my findings.

IMG_20181107_175215.jpg

Neet sticker on the side of the air cleaner: Mr. T recommends 10000mi between oil change even with dino oil back in '81.
IMG_20181105_133831.jpg

Last edited:
It lives! What's up next?
Get it start/running reliabilly, radiator/coolant, repar rear wire harness and install tial lights.

Then I want to do some fiberglass repair/restoration on the back. I want to repair and beef up the tailgate hinge area.

I'll pull the bed and cap again to seal it to the cab with some kind of gasket....

Reinstall rear windows and tailgate...

Insurance, drive....:steer:

First thoughts of the re-pop carb ??

Rust converter:
I have been using this stuff with mixed results.
View attachment 1843919

I've used it for years in this format:
IMG_3172.JPG

The secret is to keep it wet for awhile - which works better with the liquid and a foam brush (or old/cheap paintbrush). Knock the loose stuff off with a wire brush and then slather it with the rust remover. Then have something else to work on and just keep slopping some converter on there every now and then until it looks good to you.

Your lucky in a way. Seeing the dual row timing chain made me think of how you got the good metal guides. The 22re got plastic ones that break and fall into the oil pan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom