Coax for NMO Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for the best coax for a Kenwood TM-D710GA radio for a 3/4 NMO fender mount.

A coax cable that comes pre-attached like the one below (sans fender mount, got that already via @nakman / Gamiviti).

Based on what I've researched, since it will be a short run (the base unit will be hidden in the PS rear cargo panel) it appears that signal loss will be minimal so was thinking either RG-58 or RG-8X should be sufficient. Is that accurate?

If so, I haven't been able to find one. Any good sources to purchase from?

NMO-Fender-Mount.jpg

I'm looking for the best coax for a Kenwood TM-D710GA radio for a 3/4 NMO fender mount.

A coax cable that comes pre-attached like the one below (sans fender mount, got that already via @nakman / Gamiviti).

Based on what I've researched, since it will be a short run (the base unit will be hidden in the PS rear cargo panel) it appears that signal loss will be minimal so was thinking either RG-58 or RG-8X should be sufficient. Is that accurate?

If so, I haven't been able to find one. Any good sources to purchase from?

View attachment 1840933
I don’t have a recommendation on the cable since I’m new to radios. However dx engineering seems to have a lot inventory and I have had a good experience with them.

Few options... The small diameter coax is RG-174 and RG-316.

Comet CK-3M is the one with 18" of RG-174 that transitions to regular 0.195" RG-58. It has a SO239 base.

http://www.cometantenna.com/amateur-...le-assemblies/

The Diamond C101 is 6.5' of RG-316 that terminates in a mini UHF and they include a PL-259 adapter. You can get this in either SO-239 or NMO. They sell mini UHF extension cables to make it longer.

Diamond® Antenna ~ C101 Cable Assembly

I don't have any NMO antennas anymore, so I always get the Comet CK-3M. hope that helps!

I don’t have a recommendation on the cable since I’m new to radios. However dx engineering seems to have a lot inventory and I have had a good experience with them.

Few options... The small diameter coax is RG-174 and RG-316.

Comet CK-3M is the one with 18" of RG-174 that transitions to regular 0.195" RG-58. It has a SO239 base.

http://www.cometantenna.com/amateur-...le-assemblies/

The Diamond C101 is 6.5' of RG-316 that terminates in a mini UHF and they include a PL-259 adapter. You can get this in either SO-239 or NMO. They sell mini UHF extension cables to make it longer.

Diamond® Antenna ~ C101 Cable Assembly

I don't have any NMO antennas anymore, so I always get the Comet CK-3M. hope that helps!

Thanks for the suggestions @nakman and @cmck! I found the Comet CK-3NMO assembly that has the 3/4" NMO mount with a PL-259 connector over on DX Engineering which I think I'll give a try. The coax is similar to RG-174 but is actually a 1.5D-QEFV Japanese coax for the first 18" then the remainder is slightly larger in size to RG-58 (Japanese 3.5D-QEFV). So it should go perfect w/ your mount @nakman. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom