Need help on tire size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to go with bigger tires on the fj. I have a 13 tte with 16 inch rims. There is plenty of options in 285/75/r16 but few in 295/75r16. I have a 3 inch toytec lift and am not opposed to going bigger and preforming the frame chop but the 16 inch rims are really limiting my options . can some of you guys with 16 inch rims post pics of your rigs with tire sizes

When I upsize I’ll probably go 295/75/16 on my FJ. I’ll go with Nitto Terra Grapplers. I had them on my 80 series and the were hands down the best tire I’ve ever owned. I was on an OME 3” lift. It’s kinda apples to oranges, but I loved those tires. They are 33.4 I believe per the manufacture. Something like that...

I'm leaning more towards a mud tire. And the only mud tire in 295/75/16 is hankook. May have to settle for 285

there is nothing wrong with 285's. it's probably the best all around size

A decent tire. I've had mine on since Sept.
DigDug-KM3 (4).JPG

When I am looking at the Nittos... The 285 ridge grappler is heavier than the 295 terra grappler... Is the tire weight the primary culprit for re-gearing and fuel economy / power loss, or is the larger circumference the culprit... My guess is it is a combination of the two...

When I am looking at the Nittos... The 285 ridge grappler is heavier than the 295 terra grappler... Is the tire weight the primary culprit for re-gearing and fuel economy / power loss, or is the larger circumference the culprit... My guess is it is a combination of the two...

Increased diameter/circumference is by far the larger impact on highway drive-ability than weight.

Thanks for the insight! It’s something I never really thought about or looked into. I may go with the ridge grapplers one day in 285 just to try something different. I’ve got terra 265s now. I have plenty of time to sort it all out. Thanks for answering my hijacked question!

I think it is the right size .it still drives good. Looks meatier and didn't have to body chop. My biggest concern was drivability. My old fjc had 35s and struggled on the highway to find a gear.

I think it is the right size .it still drives good. Looks meatier and didn't have to body chop. My biggest concern was drivability. My old fjc had 35s and struggled on the highway to find a gear.

My 2012 struggles to find a gear with stock tire size... if I knew there was a reliable OEM option SC for it, I'd be really tempted.

But with 35's - I'd think it's a 'no brainer' to lock in 4th when on the wide road.

My 2012 struggles to find a gear with stock tire size... if I knew there was a reliable OEM option SC for it, I'd be really tempted.

But with 35's - I'd think it's a 'no brainer' to lock in 4th when on the wide road.

Did you regear the diffs when you had 35s? If not, then that's why you struggled on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom