Builds Ikarus' LX470 Offroad Build and BS (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, I suppose it’s some aggressive creaks but is a little off putting. It’s just the rear. I was going to bring it by for. Maybe I’ll swing it by for you to check out if it sounds consistent with what you heard. You available tomorrow?

It may be the old insulators or lack thereof as it kinda sounds like the spring is moving on the seat and the grinding like noise I’m hearing is the metal to metal contact. I picked it up late Friday and honestly hadn’t had time to look at it, hopefully tomorrow.

For sure man, shoot me a text. I'll be free in the afternoon

Alright, we solved a little Slinky mystery. @duvinclunk stopped by and we took his cruiser with a newly installed Stage 4 Slinky kit for a spin. Going over large bumps with a lot of compression in the back, we could hear a twangy/grinding noise driver's side rear - as if the spring was binding on something. It was the same noise I'd heard when I first installed my Slinky springs as well.

We hopped underneath:

gj0a5Tr.jpg

Very little clearance between the top of the spring and the metal. Just a few mm

WsMey0q.jpg

This spring must be beefier than others and under compression comes into contact with the spring bucket metal that hangs down. You can see the black mark on the spring where it rubbed.

36NlNwV.jpg

I haven't had a chance to look at mine but it might have rubbed just enough to bend the metal and stop making noise. Either way it should be a pretty easy fix - take the spring out and get in there with a hammer to bend out the metal just a hair. It's the top of the spring, driver's side, on the inside by the spare tire.

@bozncsurf this might have been what you heard. And a heads up for you @Kabanstva and @xepyt when you install yours

Alright, we solved a little Slinky mystery. @duvinclunk stopped by and we took his cruiser with a newly installed Stage 4 Slinky kit for a spin. Going over large bumps with a lot of compression in the back, we could hear a twangy/grinding noise driver's side rear - as if the spring was binding on something. It was the same noise I'd heard when I first installed my Slinky springs as well.

We hopped underneath:

gj0a5Tr.jpg

Very little clearance between the top of the spring and the metal. Just a few mm

WsMey0q.jpg

This spring must be beefier than others and under compression comes into contact with the spring bucket metal that hangs down. You can see the black mark on the spring where it rubbed.

36NlNwV.jpg

I haven't had a chance to look at mine but it might have rubbed just enough to bend the metal and stop making noise. Either way it should be a pretty easy fix - take the spring out and get in there with a hammer to bend out the metal just a hair. It's the top of the spring, driver's side, on the inside by the spare tire.

@bozncsurf this might have been what you heard. And a heads up for you @Kabanstva and @xepyt when you install yours
Nice detective work @ikarus
Thanks for tagging me.

Looks like I’ll have to crawl under there - maybe on turkey day! - hope all you guys have a happy one.

We hopped underneath:

gj0a5Tr.jpg

WsMey0q.jpg

36NlNwV.jpg

Great info man thank you.

Did you have this issue when you had the medium/intermediate slinky springs? Or is this specific to the heavies (which i know you recently installed)?

Thanks for taking a look at it @ikarus.

Now obviously having not installed it myself nor having worked on LC suspension yet, would ther be enough droop if I were only to details the shock on one side in order to remove the spring or will it require lowering the whole rear axle to have enough room to drop it out?

Also I’m supposed to bring. The truck back to the place that installed in another 200 miles to have them retorted everything and fix the off center steering wheel from the alignment so I may just have them knock it out.

Great info man thank you.

Did you have this issue when you had the medium/intermediate slinky springs? Or is this specific to the heavies (which i know you recently installed)?

I had it on the mediums as well. It was a little noisy at first but then went away.

Thanks for taking a look at it @ikarus.

Now obviously having not installed it myself nor having worked on LC suspension yet, would ther be enough droop if I were only to details the shock on one side in order to remove the spring or will it require lowering the whole rear axle to have enough room to drop it out?

Also I’m supposed to bring. The truck back to the place that installed in another 200 miles to have them retorted everything and fix the off center steering wheel from the alignment so I may just have them knock it out.

You could probably put the truck on jackstands in the rear, remove the tire, disconnect swaybar and lower shock mount, then jack up the opposite side and get enough droop to pop the spring out. But yeah I bet Dustin would help you out. Might be easier

I had it on the mediums as well. It was a little noisy at first but then went away.

You could probably put the truck on jackstands in the rear, remove the tire, disconnect swaybar and lower shock mount, then jack up the opposite side and get enough droop to pop the spring out. But yeah I bet Dustin would help you out. Might be easier
Definitely appreciate the post about this. I’ll make sure to hammer that spot a bit before installing the coils!

Something about the one with the wild horse in front of the mountain range...

Nice artwork brother.

Agreed! That is a very well composed shot.

DD4KqVB.jpg

Headed out to the desert to test out an old Canon 35mm camera. Just got the film developed.

ODNLqL4.jpg

7aXgws5.jpg

DIsupOL.jpg

vWDuuhs.jpg

These are some really great shots man. Awesome to see a fellow film shooter on here. What's your setup? I'm using an old Nikkormat FTn with some Nikkor 35mm/50mm lenses.

This was taken back in August on some Superia 400.
u_YCyuL9hxrNa7MUQix-MiManuy3U_2kJjOjhRNWwlnjgg5mx2kM2EI__3x_GaiPR6EW9vzFZubF7zxeM0CbwndTrcqIwxtlMW_RcQBb9TG6mzupPJpbNJ0-4r4zWY0T_Ks_ogPxGj89C42D2iVQ4dFvJ5NonWzI09Yl00zcjjfPqc8C5AEbTjxHSBagnZ-KCRHF3BYW3rYUxMh6lNeuolSdKQCIblEKlH40k1t4tZV67RANDg73OfA8r9ToX2_gmedG9cyyICU-nV0etvTY2iZiEtF2zAxitVkDvylr7u9yaM2ur5kKV6K-YyJvqi-UMkdX4x_TgK9rkXLHQW_ayislzgP55FghhuO4W2htLCy4Cwx-zQM8ihXy9Jaby0vFQBbA4eg6CSF55ohKWCMuBjvp3zCyDl9WrAWCdUmlQjWR88q7jVrsnToLo8CxjbfdS5RNxFllnfA7ybyC7ZwWJ01uz0eQsqP2B3A-qMfxddkIhJBK426wEwC5OOOJ8JoZ32rr3wez823WWT-VdQ2A7rIYsR_BTRwD0Y7tBnx1GXMg9fgtCH_U1Mit0XqgRZV5_hzeMUQvcyC3r_2jh4SPdKCu3NQdB8ml-gebUYG-ya9p6g7atbgxG1PTqBwzBQ9RWG3HvjwDZFf7xEhWv0vwCN7o=w1441-h966-no

These are some really great shots man. Awesome to see a fellow film shooter on here. What's your setup? I'm using an old Nikkormat FTn with some Nikkor 35mm/50mm lenses.

This was taken back in August on some Superia 400.
u_YCyuL9hxrNa7MUQix-MiManuy3U_2kJjOjhRNWwlnjgg5mx2kM2EI__3x_GaiPR6EW9vzFZubF7zxeM0CbwndTrcqIwxtlMW_RcQBb9TG6mzupPJpbNJ0-4r4zWY0T_Ks_ogPxGj89C42D2iVQ4dFvJ5NonWzI09Yl00zcjjfPqc8C5AEbTjxHSBagnZ-KCRHF3BYW3rYUxMh6lNeuolSdKQCIblEKlH40k1t4tZV67RANDg73OfA8r9ToX2_gmedG9cyyICU-nV0etvTY2iZiEtF2zAxitVkDvylr7u9yaM2ur5kKV6K-YyJvqi-UMkdX4x_TgK9rkXLHQW_ayislzgP55FghhuO4W2htLCy4Cwx-zQM8ihXy9Jaby0vFQBbA4eg6CSF55ohKWCMuBjvp3zCyDl9WrAWCdUmlQjWR88q7jVrsnToLo8CxjbfdS5RNxFllnfA7ybyC7ZwWJ01uz0eQsqP2B3A-qMfxddkIhJBK426wEwC5OOOJ8JoZ32rr3wez823WWT-VdQ2A7rIYsR_BTRwD0Y7tBnx1GXMg9fgtCH_U1Mit0XqgRZV5_hzeMUQvcyC3r_2jh4SPdKCu3NQdB8ml-gebUYG-ya9p6g7atbgxG1PTqBwzBQ9RWG3HvjwDZFf7xEhWv0vwCN7o=w1441-h966-no

Thanks man. I hadn't tried it yet, so I borrowed a friend's AE1 Program and another friend's 501. Haven't got the 6x6 back yet though. That's a cool setup, I'm looking into buying a Nikon with a 35mm as well.

AQUi5ZY.jpg

That Hasselblad is awesome! I haven't shot film since high school but was a lot of fun then. I need to start doing more photography to get better. But I'm a gear-head and freaking love 'equipment'.

Thanks man. I hadn't tried it yet, so I borrowed a friend's AE1 Program and another friend's 501. Haven't got the 6x6 back yet though. That's a cool setup, I'm looking into buying a Nikon with a 35mm as well.

AQUi5ZY.jpg

If you want something a little newer I'd pick up an F3 or F4. Still the old school styling but you'll have things like Aperture Priority. Even the non-professional range F body Nikon's are fantastic. FM2 and F100 spring to mind.

That Hasselblad is beautiful btw, medium format is next for me.

That Hasselblad is awesome! I haven't shot film since high school but was a lot of fun then. I need to start doing more photography to get better. But I'm a gear-head and freaking love 'equipment'.

Yeah man, same here. Love the mechanical shutter and operation. Let's get out and shoot

If you want something a little newer I'd pick up an F3 or F4. Still the old school styling but you'll have things like Aperture Priority. Even the non-professional range F body Nikon's are fantastic. FM2 and F100 spring to mind.

That Hasselblad is beautiful btw, medium format is next for me.

Very cool. Gonna have to do some research, thanks

caN9Tjy.jpg

Headed to the desert for a quick camping/wheeling trip so I picked up some maxtrax since I'd be alone in the snow. Luckily didn't have to use them - and I need to get a spare tire mount for them.

EXOT5d8.jpg

As usual, here's a bunch of pics of the cruiser -

ejCEE6j.jpg

Rx7SkJF.jpg

4H2KFVQ.jpg

For 2019 I'd like to get the axles/gearing finished up - 4.88s, ARB lockers front and rear, transfer case low range gears and a part time conversion. But when you add it up, that's getting pricey - like 4-5K not including labor if I have a shop do the gears and lockers. So that got me thinking...

I've been really into reading up on SAS projects these last couple weeks. Feeling real interested in doing something similar to what Slee has done a few times... diamond housing (so I don't need to clean up an old axle and can get custom length,) Hi9 diff, Slee radius arms, Slinky 80 front kit, 80 steering box, lockers/4.88s, and maybe 80+105 parts to keep 5x150 (just cause I like these wheels and wouldn't have to change anything on rear axle.) Or I could find some 80 axles, which would be much cheaper, I'm sure.

Haven't put a complete estimate together yet, but I would guess the parts alone for the slee style build would be close to 10-12K, and then I'd need to do the work myself. Shouldn't be a problem since I have a few friends who are fabricators. I'd also need to buy a welder and get back into it - haven't welded in a few years.

So basically, ton of money, ton of work, and i don't really need it, since my current suspension hasn't held me back yet. Man it would be a fun project though.

Devil's Playground I presume? I really like that area, and would love to spend more time up there.

If you do decide to do the SAS, I'd vote for the custom axle route - much fewer compromises than using/modifying an 80 axle. Certainly more $$$ with the custom axle, but you'll be much happier with the end result. Last thing you want is to do a swap and end up not loving the way it turned out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom