Intrument/dash/interior lights/radio not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay so my 1981 FJ40 interior lights aren't working, not an issue as long as I drive during daylight hours. I can't see the instrument panel to guess how fast my flying brick is going when driving. Here in Alaska in the winter, kinda need to see that stuff. Oh and the radio isn't working either. Replaced the radio fuse, no joy. Any ideas where to start would be great. I have all the factory manuals, so I don't need schematics, just ideas.

Start with cleaning the main fuse block if it hasn’t been cleaned. Then your gunna have to trace power from the fuse block. I think cluster power travels through headlight switch first. Not uncommon to pop open the switch and clean contact points. If you have power to the cluster then you might have corroded bulb sockets or something random like that. There’s a good thread by bj40green on testing gauge clusters.

Last edited:
The '81 headlight switch has a rheostat on it to dim the dash lights; I would start there first, if turning it all the way clockwise does not produce any light at all, then try cleaning the contacts on the rheostat.

Yeah, I inspected the the truck today, and realized I have no side marker lights and tails lights either.

My dash lights where working along with my fuel gauge. Now neither are working. Since Im still in the process of restoring it I don't know what else is not working.

The '81 headlight switch has a rheostat on it to dim the dash lights; I would start there first, if turning it all the way clockwise does not produce any light at all, then try cleaning the contacts on the rheostat.

I was all over that switch trying to tighten the door hinge bolts (what a PITA), maybe I knocked off a wire or something

Start with cleaning the main fuse block if it hasn’t been cleaned. Then your gunna have to trace power from the fuse block. I think cluster power travels through headlight switch first. Not uncommon to pop open the switch and clean contact points. If you have power to the cluster then you might have corroded bulb sockets or something random like that. There’s a good thread by bj40green on testing gauge clusters.

Any tips as to the best way to clean up the fuse block?
Just remove the fuses and clean the contacts and apply electrical joint grease?
Check the grounds at the fuse block and apply electrical joint grease?

It doesn’t take long to just pull that fuse block. It’s a cake walk compared to installing the upper tub side door hinges;). I just use a rolled up piece of sandpaper. Seen it mentioned to compress the fuse prongs so they grip the fuses tight. Makes sense you could have knocked a wire loose. Git’er done:beer:

Last edited:
I used distilled white vinegar on q-tips to clean the fuse box prongs. Rinsed with baking soda water mix. Dryed then use dielectric grease on the fuse ends. If your fuse box is more corroded you might need to remove it to clean more throughly or soak it in vinegar or CLR.

I hooked up the rear wiring harness, tail lights and side marker lights.

Not working...
1. Dash lights
2. Fuel gauge
3. Temp gauge
4. Turn signals
( hazzard worked)
5. Tail lights.

So I fiddled with the fuse block.
I pulled and replaced fuses, dielectric greased each one.

Voila!

Working
1. Dash lights
2. Fuel gauge
3. Temp gauge
4. Tail lights.

The turn signal was slow to work... maybe there was dust in the switch on the column, I flipped it up and down a couple of times and it started working.

Sooo... now I have another gremlin.
1. My brake lights stay on. I have to pull the pedal back up to turn them off. The body shop unbolted my steering column ,( I'm sure it was to have better access to that upper body door hinge) maybe they got something out of adjustment??

2. Windshield wipers seem to move too slow... ???

Thoughts???

As for the brake lights...
Maybe readjust brake pedal switch or replace return spring. Shop could have bent something as you said.

When I got my truck back from the body shop I noticed this spring. I had not idea where it went. I didn't even think it belonged to my truck.
Until I crawled under the dash and took the brake pedal spring off. It's a match!
20181119_092000.jpg

So I installed it with the one I took out.. and I'm not sure if that is even correct. Seems weird to have two springs occupy the same spot... but I did it anyway. Because I dont see where else it would go . Any suggestions accepted. Mine truck is March of 79
Pic from under dash
20181119_093417.jpg
20181119_093425.jpg
20181119_094654.jpg

Last edited:
When I got my truck back from the body shop I noticed this spring. I had not idea where it went. I didn't even think it belonged to my truck.
Until I crawled under the dash and took the brake pedal spring off. It's a match!View attachment 1835731
So I installed it with the one I took out.. and I'm not sure if that is even correct. Seems weird to have two springs occupy the same spot... but I did it anyway. Because I dont see where else it would go . Any suggestions accepted. Mine truck is March of 79
Pic from under dash
View attachment 1835732 View attachment 1835734 View attachment 1835735

Don't know where you found that loose spring, but to me it 'sort' of looks like it might belong on the carb??

EDIT: after looking again at the pic of my spring, mine is a bit different than yours...so not likely the same, but still a 'maybe'.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks...did not serve with Chesty, but he was still 'The Man' to a lot of us...and I really like that pic of him. And yes to his Chosen quote. Semper FI.

Good luck with your spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom