2nd gen Sequoia hardware (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I am considering Sequoia. I want something that is roomy (5 people in family) with good off-road capability.
I live pretty far from a Toyota dealership.

I do not know much about Sequoia hardware. I do know that the front and rear differentials are pretty big 8.7 inches in diameter (front) and 10.0 inches (rear).

Is this the same diff sizes as Tundra? Are these diffs bigger than Land Cruiser (200 series)?

How are the suspension design of the Sequoia? Are the front lower balljoints being in compression like Land Cruiser? Are the control arms for the IFS/IRS boxed or forged?

Is there rear axle breather tube? Or is just a cap? I understand that Land Cruiser has fording dept of 27.5”...is that same for Sequoia?

How is the market for aftermarket parts, e.g. rock sliders (frame mounted)?

Thanks in advance!!

Hey all,

I am considering Sequoia. I want something that is roomy (5 people in family) with good off-road capability.
I live pretty far from a Toyota dealership.

I do not know much about Sequoia hardware. I do know that the front and rear differentials are pretty big 8.7 inches in diameter (front) and 10.0 inches (rear).

Is this the same diff sizes as Tundra? Are these diffs bigger than Land Cruiser (200 series)?

How are the suspension design of the Sequoia? Are the front lower balljoints being in compression like Land Cruiser? Are the control arms for the IFS/IRS boxed or forged?

Is there rear axle breather tube? Or is just a cap? I understand that Land Cruiser has fording dept of 27.5”...is that same for Sequoia?

How is the market for aftermarket parts, e.g. rock sliders (frame mounted)?

Thanks in advance!!

We have a few Land Cruisers and a 2008 Sequoia Limited...

Pro's:
  • Roomy, we have a family of 5 too and there's lots of space.
  • Nicely appointed interior, comfortable and I love the cockpit.
  • The 5.7L V8 is totally rad. I want one in everything I own.
  • Great on the HWY
Con's:
  • Don't confuse it with a Land Cruiser, they're really two different animals.
  • I can't imagine taking this thing on a trail and not beating it up, it's wider, longer and lower than a LC.
  • The build quality is NOT the same. It is still TOYOTA but it lacks the refinement of the Cruisers.
  • The aftermarket is pretty weak for support. There's not a lot there for them if you want to build them up.
  • ARB makes a bumper for it. Some of the Tundra stuff is compatible but there's not a lot of guys that have been there done that. And although one could be made to really be a great overland style truck (long distances over moderate road conditions) vs a trail duty truck, I would save my money for a 200 or nice 100 series and enjoy my decision.
They're great trucks for sure. Palatial inside for a family and for us, it is a great family car... but again it isn't a Land Cruiser.

This is just my preference, but if I didn’t get the exact Tundra (so Sequoia minus the IRS) - I’d have wanted to save more $$ & go 200.

That said, I like the solid rear axle of the Tundra, but I drove a few Sequoias and a couple 200’s before knowing I needed a pickup bed - and like others have said, a 200 is far more agile than the Sequoia/Tundra platform.

I may revisit the ~2013+ 200 idea when alot have more miles, then IDK.
I’d also like to build myself a nice 60, but either of those ideas might mean selling my 80 & I just can’t bring myself to even think of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom