What are you working on? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Moving the convo out of the wheeling thread and over here.

Ran the Blue Devil sealer as per instructions. Idle smoothed out and no CEL codes. Took it on two 10 mile drives doing highway and some hills and all was well , temps from 188-193*F. After 2nd drive I notice a small puddle after cool down ... leaking now at water pump seal. New pump ordered and will see if I can get it swapped in and have some road test time before Saturday.

Dismantle went smoothly and much quicker than expected.
20181105_103150[1].jpg

Not sure what the gasket should look like exactly, but this is what I'm seeing. I didn't see anywhere that the gasket appeared to be completely compromised.
20181105_103051[1].jpg
20181105_103104[1].jpg

Water pump could still be spun by hand and will do maybe one full revolution if I spin it hard. Pretty sure all the brown crap everywhere is from the Bars Stop Leak that was put in the engine by the PO.
20181105_103037[1].jpg

20181105_103043[1].jpg

The brown stuff on the inside doesn't come off unless you wipe really hard, but the color is still off-putting and seems to always end up turning the coolant or water brownish over time. Do I need to do any surface prep to the block area or just wipe it clean? Anyone know off-hand what to torque specs are to put the pump back on? I have the FSM, but am also lazy.
20181105_103223[1].jpg
20181105_103214[1].jpg
20181105_103208[1].jpg
20181105_103242[1].jpg

Pump came a day early, had a chance to install right away and got things all back together. No leaks, no smoke, no skip in the idle and no temps swings more than 5*F. Took it out to do deliveries today on a 100 mile loop (or at least that's what the non-corrected speedo tells me) and it ran all day 188-193*F. I only shut it off twice for maybe 5 mins each time. Seems it may have stopped eating coolant too. Fingers crossed for this weekend.

The 94 had a slight rumble strip sound from day one, recently it was starting to feel like rumble strips .
Playing around with it, rear wheel bearings was first place I figured I'd go.
As soon as the caliper came off I could tell the bearing preload was nonexistent.
After the axle was out, the hub was flopping around like a fish out of water.
I also missed the memo grease is optional for the rear bearings....there was a quick wipe down but no cleaning prior to the photo.
Luckily the spindle doesn't look to hateful.
Feeling pretty good that this will smooth out things.

20181110_085442.jpg

20181110_090830.jpg

Last edited:
Pulled the 2F from the 40 today to get rid of an oil leak that has bothered me for a long time. Never had to add oil but it always left an oil click on my garage floor. The rear main was leaking for sure and so was the side cover. Since it was very difficult to get at the side cover what with the large body distributor and dual batteries on that side, I decided to pull the engine rather than do all the work my truck would need to drop the transmission and transfer case. Besides it's easier for me to work on my feet than lying under the truck. Got it all apart today, decided to also pull the front bumper and winch as I didn't think I could lift the engine high enough with my chain hoist to clear the top of the bumper.
Got it all apart and the engine bolted to the engine stand before I ran out of energy for the day. Next step is to get everything cleaned and repainted and clean up all the dirt and grime from the front frame and engine bay. The old girl sure sits higher with the engine and bumper/winch removed! Been more than eight years since I installed this engine way back in 2010. The engine was in my orange and white piggy and has served me well. Stay tuned!

Engine job Nov 2018 1.jpg
Engine job Nov 2018 2.jpg
Engine job parts Nov 2018.jpg

success!
greased and properly preloaded bearings solved the grumbling from the rear axle.
in hindsight, it was likely all coming from the right side, the left side while washed clean from gear oil as well, were still slightly preloaded.
biggest issue was the locker not wanting to disengage...but that resolved itself after a bit.

Pulled the 2F from the 40 today to get rid of an oil leak that has bothered me for a long time. Never had to add oil but it always left an oil click on my garage floor. The rear main was leaking for sure and so was the side cover. Since it was very difficult to get at the side cover what with the large body distributor and dual batteries on that side, I decided to pull the engine rather than do all the work my truck would need to drop the transmission and transfer case. Besides it's easier for me to work on my feet than lying under the truck. Got it all apart today, decided to also pull the front bumper and winch as I didn't think I could lift the engine high enough with my chain hoist to clear the top of the bumper.
Got it all apart and the engine bolted to the engine stand before I ran out of energy for the day. Next step is to get everything cleaned and repainted and clean up all the dirt and grime from the front frame and engine bay. The old girl sure sits higher with the engine and bumper/winch removed! Been more than eight years since I installed this engine way back in 2010. The engine was in my orange and white piggy and has served me well. Stay tuned!

View attachment 1828710 View attachment 1828711 View attachment 1828712
Don't over do it youngster. Maybe someday I will hire you to do that for me.

@shmukster - since you have that grille and bib sitting there separate, any chance you could send me (PAToyota AT verizon DOT net) a high resolution photo of it straight on with a yardstick or tape measure below it for scale? I am working on a project and have been looking for a good, clear photo.

With winter weather surprisingly early, I decided to rework the exhaust on the 75...I was never happy with how low it hung...and recently I felt the urge to get its belly pan back on...and so here iam..besides I wanted to play with ss tube some more.
Am going to run the pipe out the passenger side this time.

20181114_134333.jpg

Brian the exhaust on my 40 is tucked up nice above the skid plate and also crosses laterally behind the rear axle to exit on the passenger side

Brian the exhaust on my 40 is tucked up nice above the skid plate and also crosses laterally behind the rear axle to exit on the passenger side

i was going for quick, easy and one piece the first time.

apr14.jpg

Nice job! Those are supposed to be really nice! I like how they mount out of the away. I was going to get one for the Tundra but got a good deal on a Tekonsha P3.

I can see that. More room in the Tundra to mount a controller. Wanted to mount the REDARC on the dash but the blank that I was going to use had metal reinforcement behind it and didn’t want to get into fighting with it. I had looked at the Tekonsha and was going that originally until I read about the REDARC user-control mode. Seemed like a good option for pulling our small trailer.

Jody, what kind of trailer do you have?

Our good friend @dci blair just mounted a tow pro elite controller in my 200. I haven't gotten the chance to use it yet, but all signs point to it being the cat's meow. It certainly looks much better than the large Tekonsha controller sticking out of my center console on the 100!

Jody, what kind of trailer do you have?

Our good friend @dci blair just mounted a tow pro elite controller in my 200. I haven't gotten the chance to use it yet, but all signs point to it being the cat's meow. It certainly looks much better than the large Tekonsha controller sticking out of my center console on the 100!

We picked up a T@G Boondock Edge. 6’X13’ to the tongue. Weighs 1200lbs completely outfitted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom