Builds SAS 89 Mini--Triple cased Mashed Potato (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After reading the last few posts my short version message is this: Go tons.

Reason is that you can do that now and not have to worry about modding much above the axles. But then later, after a few more rolls (6 months maybe? :flipoff2:) you can still go in the F-Toy direction and have the light rig AND the strong axles. In other words, make it bulletproof now and slowly chop the weight over time. If you go the other way, cut the weight but stay on little axles, you'll still continue to break stuff until you do, eventually, go to tons.
My next tidbit of advice is just my personal preference/opinion and can be taken however you like...
I am not a fan of getting any parts that are not "off-the-shelf" available from the parts supplier - whichever company that may be {RCV, Moser, Branik, etc}. The one caveat to that would be if you're okay buying two sets so that you have a spare while you're waiting for the custom parts to be re-made.
o_O Remember that one time in Moab when Roger's trip was cut short due to breaking a custom axle shaft??? :rolleyes:

Now, WHAT axles to get is a whole new subject of debate.
D60/D60, D60/D70, D60/14B, D60/Sterling10 (Ford set).......... D60/D60 rear steer :hmm::cool::clap::popcorn:
Or there's always the JHF portals which will allow you to keep your Toyota diffs (and make them both high-pinion) while gaining strength, reliability and ground clearance.

Now, WHAT axles to get is a whole new subject of debate.
D60/D60, D60/D70, D60/14B, D60/Sterling10 (Ford set).......... D60/D60 rear steer :hmm::cool::clap::popcorn:
Or there's always the JHF portals which will allow you to keep your Toyota diffs (and make them both high-pinion) while gaining strength, reliability and ground clearance.

I hear ya but the more I think about it the less convinced I am the $$ is worth it IF, and only IF, I were to F-toy the rig. A light weight rig solves a lot of problems and concerns without the expense.

that said it begs the question, how light can you get a mini truck without getting hyper stupid and dempling every panel and shift lever?

so this is where my ignorance comes in. In reality I know next to nothing about the variety of axle options out there. 14 bolt rear and D60 is the formula I've read about but dont know enough to argue one way or the other.

Instead, I can only provide my goals and go from there which are very simple.
  1. cheap-just because I am cheap. Thinking I can get a pull out axle from local Pull a Part for around 250- 400 per axle as long as I know what to pull it from, hence my ignorance.
  2. Stronger than current setup in stock format.
  3. 6 Lug like Steve B mentioned would be awesome but not a game stopper, temporarily resolves 1 or even 2 immediate issues anyway.
  4. Width is not a major concern. Not that I want to get stupid but as I've mentioned width equals stability and you've seen how i drive so...
  5. Off the shelf is exactly what I'm thinking, parts readily available and affordable but if I do this right then I wont necessarily need to worry about replacing parts.
  6. Rear Disc brakes are a requirement I think as the drums are heavier than hell not to mention look stupid as sh!t on a mini truck
  7. Dont care what gears come in the axle, I'm geared low enough.
I'm aware of the 14 bolt reputation as a rock grabber but a shave kit seems to eliminate/help the issue and the modification is not a big deal to me. Aside from that I dont think I need more do I?

Last edited:
I don't really know mini-truck drivetrain stuff that well, but how involved would it be to swap your rear-most t-case to a drivers side drop? That would open you up to way more axle opens. Like Ford and Dodge stuff.

driver drop, yes doable but I'd lose my other cases so not an option, there has to be be a good set of options available that fit my need(s) using a center drop axle.

Once again though I'll admit to my ignorance.

Last edited:
I meant drivers drop for the front axle.
The rear axle is easy, you’re already center rear output and all the 1-ton rear axles are center diff.

I meant drivers drop for the front axle.
The rear axle is easy, you’re already center rear output and all the 1-ton rear axles are center diff.

ah, stupid me. still same issue though. I know the tacoma guys go D44 fronts which is driver side but they are married to the chain driven case which is not desirable.

Lot of discussion that's seemingly only based on fact you've bent two front housings and you don't know how (I know it's not from using the skinny pedal, bouncing or jumping), so easiest fix is to step back and make sure the replacement is gusseted at the knuckles and build a better truss (maybe Marlin drive slugs).

That said, think we all agreed that with 39's you still have to baby a mini or LC axle no matter how well it's upgraded (knuckles/studs being one of the big weak links). So concur - go TONS, or better yet, set aside funds to pick up the next screaming deal that pops up on an FTOY, buggy, or what not (e.g. Randy has the Sammy buggy, Steve the moonbuggy, etc.).

Me - I'm dreaming about a front D60, but it's not that high on the list - yet. Actually I'm dreaming about a D60, full hydro, a 5.3 with an auto and Atlas, but that's obviously not in the budget.

After reading the last few posts my short version message is this: Go tons.

The one caveat to that would be if you're okay buying two sets so that you have a spare while you're waiting for the custom parts to be re-made.
o_O Remember that one time in Moab when Roger's trip was cut short due to breaking a custom axle shaft??? :rolleyes:

Agree - off the shelf best or have a spare. While I didn't have my spare drive shaft parts - I have to, and did bring my spare 30 spline front for my custom FJ60 housing and a spare 6 lug 14 bolt FF hub, etc. Sometimes, custom is the only solution to matching up different axles.

that said it begs the question, how light can you get a mini truck without getting hyper stupid and dempling every panel and shift lever?
6 Lug like Steve B mentioned would be awesome but not a game stopper, temporarily resolves 1 or even 2 immediate issues anyway.
Width is not a major concern. Not that I want to get stupid but as I've mentioned width equals stability and you've seen how i drive so...
Rear Disc brakes are a requirement I think as the drums are heavier than hell not to mention look stupid as sh!t on a mini truck.

Suspect that with a budget build - losing weight is harder than it sounds. Guessing lightweight folks start with Chromoly chassis and cage, aluminum links, etc. etc.

Bet you could con Matt into doing the 6 lug mod to 14 bolt hubs if needed - he seems to be enjoy figuring out how to machine things (Dennis did 3 for me).

There's more to width unless you can find 17" wheels that aren't deeply offset AND it really is better for braking to have the rolling mass inside the wheel. Not to mention health of wheel and knuckle bearings.

Ummmm, yeah - fairly certain that "all" recommendations for TONS automatically assumes Tons with disc brakes.

My random thoughts, for the direction you're heading, save yourself some hassle and just get a buggy/F-toy. Going tons and then cutting weight is not going to satisfy you in the end. Get a new housing, gusset the poo out of it and make the tater a winter/ "easy" wheeling rig, the just take the buggy and wheel it otherwise.

Your style and difficulty level is going to end at a buggy anyway, so save yourself some steps and the tater a little skin.

I get the trailer deal and having 2 rigs and all, valid points, but gotta weigh that against this chase you're on. Don't get me wrong, tons might scratch the itch for a minute, but how long before the calamine lotion wears off? Of course, honestly, that is part of the fun of it, and I have too many trucks to actually offer any relevant perspective, so my ramblings just that, ramblings

Last edited:
Bet you could con Matt into doing the 6 lug mod to 14 bolt hubs if needed - he seems to be enjoy figuring out how to machine things (Dennis did 3 for me).

I don’t need to be con-ed!! :D

I’ll do it in exchange for a turn in the driver’s seat :D

first things first, gotta get it back from Rogers before he and Rocky part it out for GSMTR trophies.

After wheeling with the Florida crew on the 9th and then a quick Thxgiving run it'll be time to make a move. Once the axles are pulled then @cruisermatt can sit in the driver seat all he wants. :flipoff2:

from what i'm reading if tons are the way to go then i'm looking for 70s-2000+/- years GMC trucks/vans?

Last edited:
:doh:
After wheeling with the Florida crew on the 9th and then a quick Thxgiving run it'll be time to make a move.

from what i'm reading if tons are the way to go then i'm looking for 70s-2000+/- years GMC trucks/vans?

Having a hard time with fact I can't make the run on the 9th.

Highly recommend reading the 14 bolt Bible so you have the info on that - here: BillaVista.com-14-Bolt Bible Tech Article by BillaVista

Don't know anything about D60s, but regret selling the front one I had stored behind the garage. Thought I'd be ok with the FJ60 axle I widened/built.....:doh:, that was a short sighted mistake.

Post on best 17's to buy. Lot of half useless opinions, but there are a few options I'd not heard of (mostly because I'm not shopping for wheels ;).

Prolly good to start looking into this so that when you see something posts up used for sale, you'll know if it's something you might want. With your tires, prolly better to start shopping early.

Post on best 17's to buy. Lot of half useless opinions, but there are a few options I'd not heard of (mostly because I'm not shopping for wheels ;).

Prolly good to start looking into this so that when you see something posts up used for sale, you'll know if it's something you might want. With your tires, prolly better to start shopping early.

Good advice, Im continuously shopping and deals can be had. i just gotta time it right.

Sorry Ted no dice on the 1 ton gear my coworkers got a friend with the several sets of axles but wont' part with them
said he's a bit of a hoarder.
:beer:

@TeddyBoy you cut that truck up yet?

Check Georgia's government website for online auctions. Here in Tennessee a company called Riche brothers run it. You might get a deal on some ton axles on a ford truck. Just an idea.

Also a friend of mine is selling his "Bouncer". It has 49's and tons, just saying.

@TeddyBoy you cut that truck up yet?

Check Georgia's government website for online auctions. Here in Tennessee a company called Riche brothers run it. You might get a deal on some ton axles on a ford truck. Just an idea.

Also a friend of mine is selling his "Bouncer". It has 49's and tons, just saying.

ugh, just got it home on Saturday after hooking up with the guys from Florida at AOP. Hadn't planned on touching until after the pre-Thxgiving but my plans for that may be in jeopardy now. End of the year work has me buried and might have to be in Macon on Monday.

Go to Macon during the day and come stay at Chocco in the evening.

Go to Macon during the day and come stay at Chocco in the evening.

got the work but nothing in stone yet, schedule still developing. I was down there for a few hours yesterday walking a job-site in the pouring down rain an it royally sucked.

Having to figure out how to mount 8 exterior cameras to the outside of a warehouse without getting a 40 foot cherry picker completely buried in the mud. Guy asks me if there is a way around it and i told him a helicopter. Honestly not sure it's possible with all the rain we've had the last week or so.

Anyway, if it happens it'll likely be for the week...

20181112_124544.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom