Voltage Regulator Surges? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a question on voltage and overcharging the battery. This is for a 1982 FJ45 Troopy from Australia, and I had surges in electrical system. Every so often, my light would get brighter and the heater fan and wipers would start running faster (like really fast for the wipers, too fast). Also, this last July, I stopped and notice the battery boiling. I had a Repco OEX RGX2032 solid-state VR (square 6 wire connection) and just replaced with similar VR to a Transpo IN551 solid-state VR (but this one is a non branded unit). Installed it and this are the measurements I'm getting. Idle=14.9 to 15.0 volts. Idle with lights, heater, wipers and hazard lights on = 12.5V. Revved up to simulate cruising speed = 14.7 volts, revved up to simulate cruising speed with light, heater, wipers and hazard light on = 16.8 volts.
Could it be that the new Voltage regulator is bad. Being that it is a generic brand, it would not surprise me.
Could something else be causing the high voltage besides the voltage regulator? 14.9V to 15.0V at idle seems too high, as well as the 16.8 volts at cruising speed with all accessories on.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Guy

gmac, Today

I have a question on voltage and overcharging the battery. This is for a 1982 FJ45 Troopy from Australia, and I had surges in electrical system. Every so often, my light would get brighter and the heater fan and wipers would start running faster (like really fast for the wipers, too fast). Also, this last July, I stopped and notice the battery boiling. I had a Repco OEX RGX2032 solid-state VR (square 6 wire connection) and just replaced with similar VR to a Transpo IN551 solid-state VR (but this one is a non branded unit). Installed it and this are the measurements I'm getting. Idle=14.9 to 15.0 volts. Idle with lights, heater, wipers and hazard lights on = 12.5V. Revved up to simulate cruising speed = 14.7 volts, revved up to simulate cruising speed with light, heater, wipers and hazard light on = 16.8 volts.
Could it be that the new Voltage regulator is bad. Being that it is a generic brand, it would not surprise me.
Could something else be causing the high voltage besides the voltage regulator? 14.9V to 15.0V at idle seems too high, as well as the 16.8 volts at cruising speed with all accessories on.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Guy

gmac, Today

hi Guy ,

did the issue just start recently
or
has it done it since u have owned the truck ?

if yes to 2nd how long have u owned it , and or how long has the issues been a issue ?

YES , aftermarket voltage regulators are Cheaply made & can be defective out of the box , i have experienced this first hand

with a Client shop vehical supplied NAPA one , Balkamp brand

a OEM voltage regulator has never let me down

only way i roll ....

denso pic - Copy.jpg

DSCN9913.JPG
DSCN9911.JPG

hi Guy ,

did the issue just start recently
or
has it done it since u have owned the truck ?

if yes to 2nd how long have u owned it , and or how long has the issues been a issue ?

YES , aftermarket voltage regulators are Cheaply made & can be defective out of the box , i have experienced this first hand

with a Client shop vehical supplied NAPA one , Balkamp brand

a OEM voltage regulator has never let me down

only way i roll ....

View attachment 1828940

View attachment 1828938 View attachment 1828939
Thank Ragingmatt.
Prior to changing the voltage regulator it has been doing the surges for probably about 5 yrs, so basically, since I owned the truck, about 5 years.
I was going to go with and OEM, but my understanding was that they are no longer available. Would you happen to have a source (Preferably a mud source) for one?
Thanks

Thank Ragingmatt.
Prior to changing the voltage regulator it has been doing the surges for probably about 5 yrs, so basically, since I owned the truck, about 5 years.
I was going to go with and OEM, but my understanding was that they are no longer available. Would you happen to have a source (Preferably a mud source) for one?
Thanks

I believe @RAGINGMATT is showing you (above) that HE sells oem voltage regulators. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom