Rebuild FJ40 Drop Down Tailgate Latches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, rebuilding a rear drop down tailgate on a 1972 Fj40. What have you guys done to refinish this part as to prevent paint chips and rusting? There is metal on metal contact with the mechanism. Where can I get the pins that hold this assembly together? I could drill them out and powdercoat the parts individually, but not sure how I'd get them back together. It's almost like a pin rivet of some sort.
IMG-1878.jpg

IMG-1879.jpg

You can tear them apart, zinc plate them, powder coat them and then wax them to a beautiful shine, but any protective coating is going to start wearing fast the first time you use them. There’s nothing you can do about it.

That said, I usually zinc plate hinges and latches before I paint them to try to extend the Time before they start rusting a little bit. It’s certainly not worth trying to take them apart, though.

Last edited:
Keep a rattle can of you favorite color handy and hit the hinges every once in a while.
Unless you keep your rig in a carpet lined plywood box there will be rust.

Well, Ive spent the last 3 years removing the rust from this particular project so I'm trying to find a solution a little better than spraypaint.

Unless you keep your rig in a carpet lined plywood box there will be rust.

Location location location. Replaced the catch that mates with this latch in the eighties and never painted it. Still waiting to see it rust. Not if it was plated but not gold in color, steel color. On the part of the latch where it locks on the catch I wrap electric tape. This slows the wear on the catch caused by washboard roads.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I mean the one I have is still in one piece, so it hasn't rusted too much from 1972. I guess another way of asking would be how did these come from the factory? Was the ringlet part plated, or painted? I know the tailgate is less common than the swing out doors, I can't find much info about these latches.

Ah! Very interesting. I wonder if Toyota still makes both sides?.....oh it clearly says they don't...odd
IMG_4716_1024x1024.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom