How good are your wipers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rkymtnflyfisher

Trout Bum
Threads
Do your wipers actually "work"?

I'm not talking about moving back and forth, I'm talking about actually cleaning water and such off of the windshield.

I have a 74 with the top mounted wipers, old school blades, they smear more water and bug guts than they remove. I've been thinking about trying to source a stronger spring to pull the blade tighter to the glass.

I'm not expecting modern efficiency from them.

I have the same set up as you and mine work good as long as there is enough rain or water on the windshield.
JP

My '79-build bottom wipers are pretty marginal; they do OK with just plain rain water but not with mud or snow, ice, etc.

My '79-build bottom wipers are pretty marginal; they do OK with just plain rain water but not with mud or snow, ice, etc.

I wouldn't even think of ice with my wipers, mud is iffy, kind of smears it everywhere.

During the summer I stop a couple of times a week at the gas station to clean my glass. At least once a week I clean them spotless at home.

I have the same set up as you and mine work good as long as there is enough rain or water on the windshield.
JP

Are you still using the old school OEM blades?

What they said ^^^. I have owned four FJ-40's and they all had marginal wipers.

What they said ^^^. I have owned four FJ-40's and they all had marginal wipers.

I definitely don't expect them to rival modern wipers but if it rains on me the wipers just smear crap all over the windshield.

I know I need new blades, just wondering about overall experiences and expectations.

Do your wipers actually "work"?

I'm not talking about moving back and forth, I'm talking about actually cleaning water and such off of the windshield.

I have a 74 with the top mounted wipers, old school blades, they smear more water and bug guts than they remove. I've been thinking about trying to source a stronger spring to pull the blade tighter to the glass.

I'm not expecting modern efficiency from them.

Funny, you said "cleaning"!....Being the washer apparatus & wipers are worthless at cleaning anything, I took out the washer bottle and opted for a carb cooling fan. I'd say I traded up!

The wipers, well they do smear the H2O back and forth enough to drive, somewhat....:meh:

I have a '72 with the top mounted wipers and they are marginal at best. What really helps mine, especially in nasty weather in the Sierras is using the Rain X washer fluid. But a stronger spring wouldn't hurt.

The wipers, well they do smear the H2O back and forth enough to drive, somewhat....:meh:

If I get caught in a shower my glass gets nasty enough that I'll just stop for a brew, wait for the rain to let up. Sometimes it gets sketchy with the way they smear crap on the glass.

100,000 mayflies on the windshield doesn't help either.

I have a '72 with the top mounted wipers and they are marginal at best. What really helps mine, especially in nasty weather in the Sierras is using the Rain X washer fluid. But a stronger spring wouldn't hurt.

I bought a jug of the RainX glass cleaner, as of this moment I couldn't tell you where it's hiding. Probably still in a pile of garage stuff from moving.

The glass cleaner is good as well but the film wears off rather quickly. The washer fluid can be re applied at will if your squirter works. I've had better luck with it anyway.

I should also add that there is no windshield washer equipment installed in my rig. That's one of those things that doesn't make it high on the list of things to do.

Maybe I'll work on that this winter.

The sprayer really helps get the stuff off the windshield. Without it stuff just smears.

Rain X has saved my butt many times here in the rainy PNW. Use the stuff that sprays on and you have to buff off like car wax. Lasts several months between applications and many times I can drive in the rain without even using the wipers. I've also found that silicone wiper blades help immensely too. :)

I've also found that silicone wiper blades help immensely too.

More info? Are you running the newer style wipers, bottom mounted?

My wipers are totally inop. They’re a mess. I don’t even know where to start with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom