Question about key (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got my 2000 Land Cruiser yesterday and there is no key fob or programmed key with it. Just a key with black plastic grip. No way to remotely lock doors or anything else. I know there are replacement things on eBay/Amazon, but I don't want some piece of junk that won't work. Does anyone know of a for sure fix that won't cost a fortune. Thanks.

Mine came with a key that didn't actuate the locks, and I followed the youtube videos and instructional blogs on the sequence to enter programming mode. I was able to successfully get the key operating the locks.

You'll also need a transponder (perhaps from your existing key) so that the truck pairs with the key...this part of the voodoo I don't understand.

So, if you order an eBay/Amazon key remote blank which is well reviewed and have it cut to match, then transplant your transponder, then enter programming mode and pair the remote, you should have a working key and lock remote in one.

The voodoo part is the immobilizer. Your key/immobilizer needs to be linked to the truck to start the engine. You need access to techstream to link a new key with an un-programmed immobilizer to the truck, then you can go through the procedure to program the remote for locking doors and all that stuff.

This video shows might explain it better than I can:

Note the guy takes the already programmed (or linked immobilizer) out of his old key. You can probably get a new key with the remote controls, put the old immobilizer in it and then just program the remote controls.

Not sure if that's helpful or just more confusing! lol

^ not necessarily. For my '99 and some other years, there's a tap dance and sequence you can do without techstream that will program the transponder. And then a separate dance to program the lock/unlock buttons. Good thread in the FAQ on programming keys.

^ not necessarily. For my '99 and some other years, there's a tap dance and sequence you can do without techstream that will program the transponder. And then a separate dance to program the lock/unlock buttons. Good thread in the FAQ on programming keys.

x2, it's all about timing. The first few tries, I failed and spent probably 20 min then gave up. Tried again later in the day and got it. My driver door actuator was kinda weak after a few uses, so that could have been my problem and trying later on after letting it rest left it moving enough to register with the ECU.

It probably depends on the year. My 06 LC was the same as the guy in the video. But didn't the earlier trucks have the key and the fob part separate?

I bet that FAQ is the best place to go from here. ;)

I just went through this. Here's my thread on it. Sounds like you have a working key to start the vehicle. Check its immobilizer against the security light to determine if it's a master not. If it is, you're in luck for a fairly inexpensive replacement that will also work the keyless alarm.

Reactions: BEG
Yes. Very doable, I programmed my own remotes and keys. Search and watch videos and check the faq. I used remotesremotes.com

I got my new key programmed today. $26.?? off amazon for the key itself and found a local locksmith to cut and program it for $75.00. Works great but wont open the glove box. That takes the cut of the master key only. If you program it yourself you could save an extra $50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom