Replacement seatbelts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sub'd. That's good to know.

Can swap the 3rd row if you don't use them. They are a little shorter but work for most. The other cheap option is from a part out.

Otherwise, you can source a passenger front belt that's in good shape, disassemble, wash, and install on the DS retractor. Also give the spring an extra turn or three, as the PS belt is about 8" LONGER than the DS.

I'm a fat guy and tried the third row belt, but then I couldn't lean over at ALL to reach the glove box. When I did the PS belt, it was enough than I can reach anywhere I need to go now...... But I only did one extra turn and my belt doesn't retract all the way in when I get out of the truck. I also didn't wash it before I reinstalled......

Can swap the 3rd row if you don't use them. They are a little shorter but work for most. The other cheap option is from a part out.
That's what I did...... with a couple of mods. As slow95z said, it's shorter and you need to know that because when you max it out it goes into the ratchet mode. No problem...right....WRONG. Luckily I found this out before the 1st test drive, because once installed in the driver position, the bottom tie point mount needs to be disco'd before it will retract enough to reset out of the ratchet mode. So the mods are:

Bottom tie point mount will need to be formed (bent) into the shape of the original driver's tie point mount.

And the second mod is to dis-able the ratchet mode - which is not necessary on driver's seat belt since it's mainly for car seats, which hopefully the driver is old enough & big enough not to not to need one...lol. On my '94 3rd row belts, which I had removed several years ago, to disable the ratchet mode - 1st find the tooth that engages it. Easily done, because you can see it through the translucent plastic. Drill a strategic hole and thread a screw into the hole to prevent the tooth from engaging. Bingo - no more ratchet mode. This mod is also easily reversible if you need to.

IMG_0722[1].JPG

IMG_0723[1].JPG

How much shorter is the 3rd row belt? I would say I'm average build but I would still like to be able to reach my glove box with the belt on since I keep my gun in there. Also seems like a good idea to put the third row belts in the DS or PS and then send the DS/PS belts out to be rebuilt so you aren't left without seat belts. I know my DS needs it bad, almost hangs in the door jam...

How much shorter is the 3rd row belt? I would say I'm average build but I would still like to be able to reach my glove box with the belt on since I keep my gun in there. ...
I was surprized...4".
......Also seems like a good idea to put the third row belts in the DS or PS and then send the DS/PS belts out to be rebuilt so you aren't left without seat belts. I know my DS needs it bad, almost hangs in the door jam...
Yep, mine was getting to be a PITA. I was thinking what are my options? Then remembered seeing the 3rd row in my removed junk box....and it became a quest to make it work...lol. Also look at the 2nd row buckles compared to 3rd row and driver's. 3rd row & driver's are interchangable. Not so with 2nd row.

i just swapped the belt and left the first row ratchet alone. there is a thread on here somewhere on it but its really easy just make sure you use a screw driver or something to keep it from unwinding with the belt out of it.

Getting your seatbelts refurbished here Seat Belt Repair & Airbag Reset - Safety Restore has been accomplished with good results.

I'm unsure where to source a new seatbelt.

Safety Restore can give you a new belt. I just got new belts on both my front and passenger.
I wouldn't screw around with safety equipment. It may work while you are wearing it, but you'll need them to work if you are involved in a collision.

.........I wouldn't screw around with safety equipment. It may work while you are wearing it, but you'll need them to work if you are involved in a collision.
I agree 100%. Replacing the worn out driver's seat belt with a barely used 3rd row seat belt with out changing the g - activated locking mechanism, IMHO, was an improvement. The webbing is in much better shape and the wind up spring is in much better condition to pull the belt back in to keep it from being damaged after the seat belt is unfastened. As I mentioned before, the ratchet mode is only useful when strapping a children's car seat into a rig. That is why the original driver's seat belt doesn't have the ratchet function.

I had a junk 97 4runner (was kinda nice at first) that I rolled and it set off the mechanism in the belt to keep it locked or it broke... And I messed around with which belts fit that location in the car, since my local pick and pull wasnt letting people walk the yard cus of fraudulent things going on so they kept giving me belts from 2nd gen 4runners... Anyway I modified the passenger belt to work on the DS and if you take one apart and it unwinds good luck getting it back together. I had a hell of a time and it still wasn't right in the end.

Can someone explain the 'ratchet function' as I've never used my 3rd row seat belts - been in storage since I got the truck and I'd like to swap them for my frayed front seat belts

You pull the belt out all the way and it should "ratchet" back where it will only tighten the belt. As in the belt only gets retracted with a noticable rachet sound. You can't pull the belt out when it's in this mode. If you let the belt retract all the way it comes out of the rachet mode. I've had other cars that had driver and passenger side racheting mechs. But my cruiser does not.

Im in need of a new drivers seatbelt. Does anyone have any recommendations where to source a new one?

I had my seatbelts serviced from Safety Restore. They have a new location in Los Angeles, and they have a 20% off coupon code for their services.

Safety restore coupon code.jpg

I noticed that Safety Restore has Red seat belts as an option. Doing some light research, this seems to be the new rage based on offerings from Porsche and Ferrari. Anyone have Red seat belts in their 80? Mine needs new front belts and the red could look pretty good with my Black LX paint and Oak interior.

I noticed that Safety Restore has Red seat belts as an option. Doing some light research, this seems to be the new rage based on offerings from Porsche and Ferrari. Anyone have Red seat belts in their 80? Mine needs new front belts and the red could look pretty good with my Black LX paint and Oak interior.

Just had Safety Restore do my front belts in black w/ red edges. Going to do the arm rests, steering wheel and console cover with red stitching too . . .ill get a pic of the belts today. Sorry but it’s all torn apart right now o_O

I had Safety Restore do my driver's in stock Oak. They were super quick and it matches the others great. I did notice they now do colors which would be cool for certain projects.

I had Safety Restore do my driver's in stock Oak. They were super quick and it matches the others great. I did notice they now do colors which would be cool for certain projects.
Which of the two "Tan" belt offerings best match Oak? The darker or lighter one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom