Builds Ikarus' LX470 Offroad Build and BS (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

8Jx9Cpr.jpg

Heavy Slinky springs have arrived, but I haven't installed them yet. 90+ miles in the desert in the dark have me thinking about some offroad lights for the ARB.
Very interested in your heavy slinky review. I’ve been communicating with a member up here in the 80s forum who is making the swap - it’ll be really helpful if it was actually a 100! Ha.

You’ve been a huge influence in my build - I’m sure you get a lot of pm’s and I appreciate all the feedback you’ve given me.

I went with the mediums like you initially did and they were night and day better than the ome’s.. but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I’ve been wondering if the heavies would be better.

As a daily driver, riding solo it’s spot on, with a loaded truck it may benefit - guess it’s one of those things that you don’t know you’re missing.

Take a few photos for us to enjoy but the real difference will be in the seat of pants.

Very interested in your heavy slinky review. I’ve been communicating with a member up here in the 80s forum who is making the swap - it’ll be really helpful if it was actually a 100! Ha.

You’ve been a huge influence in my build - I’m sure you get a lot of pm’s and I appreciate all the feedback you’ve given me.

I went with the mediums like you initially did and they were night and day better than the ome’s.. but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I’ve been wondering if the heavies would be better.

As a daily driver, riding solo it’s spot on, with a loaded truck it may benefit - guess it’s one of those things that you don’t know you’re missing.

Take a few photos for us to enjoy but the real difference will be in the seat of pants.
Yeah man, I'll post a review here for sure. The mediums are pretty awesome - I might not switch if I didn't need to haul a bunch of gear sometimes. I would say don't sweat it unless your truck is sagging in the back

Thanks for bringing those up, haven’t seen the brand before. Cool comparison video on their lights against others including ARB.

Those look pretty great. I was thinking ARB Intensity knockoffs, but I'm gonna have to look into these more.

Getting rid of those slinky med coils by any chance? :)

I am actually. You interested? I'll be installing the heavies next week and can ship the mediums out in the box the new ones came in

Those look pretty great. I was thinking ARB Intensity knockoffs, but I'm gonna have to look into these more.

I am actually. You interested? I'll be installing the heavies next week and can ship the mediums out in the box the new ones came in

Yeah definitely, I'll DM you

YyQO0K9.jpg

Swapped out the Slinky mediums from @dockbox (Endless Horizon Outfitters) for the heavies tonight. Great customer service and fast shipping.

ksbKCLv.jpg

They feel great. I think it's going to be the perfect setup for bumper+spare tire+gas cans+2-300 lbs of gear. The ride is just as good as the mediums.

zrCYWPh.jpg

Took my rake from a little under an inch difference rear to front, to 2 inches. Stink buggin a little, but it's better than sagging under load.

After, Slinky heavies, unloaded cargo area with Slee rear bumper and spare tire:

GQkHMzl.jpg

tgcMVdo.jpg

For comparison - before, Slinky mediums - unloaded cargo area with Slee rear bumper and spare tire:

WIs2cdn.jpg

Current measurements:

Front hub to fender:
On ground - 22"
Droop - 24"

Rear hub to fender:
On ground - 24"

YyQO0K9.jpg

Swapped out the Slinky mediums from @dockbox (Endless Horizon Outfitters) for the heavies tonight. Great customer service and fast shipping.

ksbKCLv.jpg

They feel great. I think it's going to be the perfect setup for bumper+spare tire+gas cans+2-300 lbs of gear. The ride is just as good as the mediums.

zrCYWPh.jpg

Took my rake from a little under an inch difference rear to front, to 2 inches. Stink buggin a little, but it's better than sagging under load.

After, Slinky heavies, unloaded cargo area with Slee rear bumper and spare tire:

GQkHMzl.jpg

tgcMVdo.jpg

For comparison - before, Slinky mediums - unloaded cargo area with Slee rear bumper and spare tire:

WIs2cdn.jpg

Current measurements:

Front hub to fender:
On ground - 22"
Droop - 24"

Rear hub to fender:
On ground - 24"
I think the stance looks great!
And I bet it drives better.. we all know when the 100 is level or sagging that the steering and ride can get a little squirrely

Definitely looking into these as I’m almost level when loaded up with the family.

Does it still suck up the little cracks / joist in the highway and give that medium spring “forgiveness” ?

Thanks for taking the time to report - as always great pics.

YyQO0K9.jpg

ksbKCLv.jpg

zrCYWPh.jpg

GQkHMzl.jpg

tgcMVdo.jpg

WIs2cdn.jpg

Current measurements:

Front hub to fender:
On ground - 22"
Droop - 24"

Rear hub to fender:
On ground - 24"
You have adjustable UCAs, don't you? I was under the impression you could run it more level and still get the caster and camber you need with SPCs or the like.

I think the stance looks great!
And I bet it drives better.. we all know when the 100 is level or sagging that the steering and ride can get a little squirrely

Definitely looking into these as I’m almost level when loaded up with the family.

Does it still suck up the little cracks / joist in the highway and give that medium spring “forgiveness” ?

Thanks for taking the time to report - as always great pics.

Yeah, the ride seems just as good as the mediums. Seems to be the way to go with bumpers, etc. And yeah, I think the driving dynamics are now a little better with some rake as well.

You have adjustable UCAs, don't you? I was under the impression you could run it more level and still get the caster and camber you need with SPCs or the like.

I do, but this is a separate issue. You can't physically lift a 100 much more than this, or your shocks would be fully extended and you'd have no droop when you go over a speed bump or an obstacle on the trail.

Yeah, the ride seems just as good as the mediums. Seems to be the way to go with bumpers, etc. And yeah, I think the driving dynamics are now a little better with some rake as well.

I do, but this is a separate issue. You can't physically lift a 100 much more than this, or your shocks would be fully extended and you'd have no droop when you go over a speed bump or an obstacle on the trail.

Ahhh right. Are those Icons extended shocks?

Got my LX back with the heavies and I’m getting some decent creaking/grinding/crunching sounds when I go over larger bumps with some decent speed. Have you experienced this?

Got my LX back with the heavies and I’m getting some decent creaking/grinding/crunching sounds when I go over larger bumps with some decent speed. Have you experienced this?
Sorry to hear that. With my old springs I did have some squeaks and creaks but as the springs “broke in” those sounds went away. Front or rear? I’d be happy to take a look at it

To 2nd @ikarus my rear springs also made noises the first 2-3 wks (“boing” & “thunk” type noises) but since then not a peep.

You could also check your rear spring isolators (the little rubber rings on top where the spring meets the frame) my factory ones were looking pretty rough so I installed ome 10mm replacements

I’m sure once you get your bumpers it’ll be that much better.

Post some pics - I’ve been waiting to see this thing.

Sorry to hear that. With my old springs I did have some squeaks and creaks but as the springs “broke in” those sounds went away. Front or rear? I’d be happy to take a look at it
Yeah, I suppose it’s some aggressive creaks but is a little off putting. It’s just the rear. I was going to bring it by for. Maybe I’ll swing it by for you to check out if it sounds consistent with what you heard. You available tomorrow?

To 2nd @ikarus my rear springs also made noises the first 2-3 wks (“boing” & “thunk” type noises) but since then not a peep.

You could also check your rear spring isolators (the little rubber rings on top where the spring meets the frame) my factory ones were looking pretty rough so I installed ome 10mm replacements

I’m sure once you get your bumpers it’ll be that much better.

Post some pics - I’ve been waiting to see this thing.
It may be the old insulators or lack thereof as it kinda sounds like the spring is moving on the seat and the grinding like noise I’m hearing is the metal to metal contact. I picked it up late Friday and honestly hadn’t had time to look at it, hopefully tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom