Getting my tires re-siped (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, long time no talk! Been super busy this summer. For starters I know that true winter tires are better than siping non winter tires, I just don't have the money for a new set of winter tires.

Anyways, I am running Cooper ST MAXX on my 4runner and had tire rama downtown bozo sipe the center lugs and leave the outer ones alone so that I could get some more traction for winter. With winter coming up I noticed that my siping is not there anymore on my tires due to wear even thought there is a healthy amount of tread left. Is this normal? Can the be re-siped so that I have my winter traction back? This is the first set of tires that I have had siped and it has worked pretty well for not being a true winter tire.

Otherwise if anyone has or knows of some 31" to 33" snow tires for a 16" rim on the cheap I would be interested in that as well. I just do not have the ability to purchase a new set of tires for winter but could swing some used ones.

*EDIT: I would be interested in used STUDLESS snow tires. I am not much a fan of studs*

Thanks for the help guys.

I've got a new ST Maxx 255/85/16 for sale if you need a good spare.

I used a set of these for 2 winters without siping. Never wished I had sipes. They're great winter tires as is IMO.

I've got a new ST Maxx 255/85/16 for sale if you need a good spare.

I used a set of these for 2 winters without siping. Never wished I had sipes. They're great winter tires as is IMO.

I do like them as well, felt solid when it came to most aspects of driving in the winter... Except for their braking performance with my 4runner. The ABS system is very intrusive and wont let me manually pump once it comes on. I have never had a problem with winter driving until last winter were I nearly hit a couple of people or slid into an intersection. Combine a very reactive ABS system with oil soaked rear brakes from a rear seal that kept blowing on me, I just did not have a great winter while trying to stop.

As far as that spare, I am running the 285 version and have a different 285 spare so I am good for now. I will be going to the 255 but that will be a couple years until my current ones wear out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom