Builds Back into an 80 - Australian Turbo FZJ80 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So...it begins.

Step 1 of the parts ordering has begun - list of parts below for my records and hopefully may be useful to somebody else:

I think this should be just about all I need, except for Spark Plugs - Safari recommends a particular spark plug so will need to get the truck in front of me to get them ordered up as the details are in it.

Also, I've virtually never set eyes on a 1FZ-FE before and have certainly never worked on one, so I'd be very glad of any tips and tricks you might care to share.

@Indestructible 47 This should keep me out of trouble for a few weekends!

upload_2018-11-3_20-52-39.png

Hmm @mudgudgeon I was hoping to leave it in, but might make sense while I'm at it to pull and replace.

So...it begins.

Step 1 of the parts ordering has begun - list of parts below for my records and hopefully may be useful to somebody else:

I think this should be just about all I need, except for Spark Plugs - Safari recommends a particular spark plug so will need to get the truck in front of me to get them ordered up as the details are in it.

Also, I've virtually never set eyes on a 1FZ-FE before and have certainly never worked on one, so I'd be very glad of any tips and tricks you might care to share.

@Indestructible 47 This should keep me out of trouble for a few weekends!

View attachment 1823390
Thats a solid rust free cruiser there.... no rust, low ks is a really solid base, i am a little jealous :) looks like it is getting some very appropriate therapy there...;):D:candycane:

Interesting that you say that you are gunna put a part time kit on it. I haven't done much research but i wonder if there is a kit that uses the factory landcruiser free wheel hubs. I have seen almost every aftermarket hub broken at some point but have always been impressed with the stock AISIN hubs. I believe they are a quality unit.

Looking forward to this build, hopefully i can pop in and and get a couple of happy snaps with the cruisers together sometime.

Thats a solid rust free cruiser there.... no rust, low ks is a really solid base, i am a little jealous :) looks like it is getting some very appropriate therapy there...;):D:candycane:

Interesting that you say that you are gunna put a part time kit on it. I haven't done much research but i wonder if there is a kit that uses the factory landcruiser free wheel hubs. I have seen almost every aftermarket hub broken at some point but have always been impressed with the stock AISIN hubs. I believe they are a quality unit.

Looking forward to this build, hopefully i can pop in and and get a couple of happy snaps with the cruisers together sometime.

Bring it on Cuz!

Regarding the hubs, subject to correction here but my understanding is that you can't put Aisin hubs on a late 80 without changing to an earlier birf, I think the later ones are longer or something. Still, AVM make a heavy duty hub now so hopefully they do the trick. The regular AVM hubs seemed to break but haven't heard of problems with the heavy duty ones.

Bring it on Cuz!

Regarding the hubs, subject to correction here but my understanding is that you can't put Aisin hubs on a late 80 without changing to an earlier birf, I think the later ones are longer or something. Still, AVM make a heavy duty hub now so hopefully they do the trick. The regular AVM hubs seemed to break but haven't heard of problems with the heavy duty ones.
Yep ok that makes sense. I'm looking forward to this, thinking of an 80 myself 1 day, possibly.

Bring it on Cuz!

You CAN put an Aisin hub in the later 80, just need to cut a new C clip groove. This is no biggie, lots of done this, including myself so do a quick search to look at some pics. I have a part time kit also.

You CAN put an Aisin hub in the later 80, just need to cut a new C clip groove. This is no biggie, lots of done this, including myself so do a quick search to look at some pics. I have a part time kit also.
That's good info, thank you very much! How do you like how the 80 drives with the PT kit?

Nice mate.
I'm just finnishing mine off at the moment.
Waiting o the newxwiring harness to arive for the haltech then a full engine bay rewire starts.
Isnt cheap to do but I cant wait until it's done.
Happy to share ideas man.
I should do a build thread but I'm busy busy

A turbo AND a manual transmission??? :flipoff2: NICE!

Bring it on Cuz!

AVM heavy duty hubs are not heavy duty only by name.

That's good info, thank you very much! How do you like how the 80 drives with the PT kit?

I like it fine and my reasoning for doing the PT kit was to:

- eliminate any vibes from the front DS due to the 4" lift
- reduce wear/tear on the front birfields.
- improved MPG was never my intention
- a side benefit to having rear WD is the ability to "dig" down the rear tires into soft soil for leveling purposes. I have a RTT on top. :hillbilly:

Gave the truck a bit of TLC today - Oil and Filter with 15W60 Penrite Synthetic - see how this goes, 75W90 Synth for the gearbox and transfer and 80w90 mineral oil for the diffs . Also ditched the K and N air filter for a genuine unit - much bigger and has to filter better IMHO. Was hoping to do dissy rotor and cap, plugs, leads and fuel filter but ran out of time. Anyway, it's a start.

These aren't made in Japan but IMHO they are a decent filter and the price is right from Partsouq
20181110_142607.jpg

And OEM to replace the K and N - didn't get any comparison photos but this must have far more filter media
20181110_142954.jpg

Going up...still a bit nervous about swinging on bolts etc with the truck over my head but seems balanced enough with the lift arms under the LCA mounts at the back and the Radius arms at the front
20181117_144234.jpg

Gear together and ready to go...
20181117_144319.jpg

More goodies :cool:
20181110_142549.jpg

My way of keeping track of what I have and haven't done - paint mark when drain is tightened, fluid refilled and fill tightened
20181117_150807.jpg

This is the drain plug that came out of the front diff - is it just me or is something not right here? Sorry, really bad pic but the magnet seems to be extra long and have a chunk out of it. I presume this is an incorrect plug?
20181117_160603.jpg

Last but not least, gonna get one of these underway - the manufacturer has a bit of a backlog so won't be done till January.
Screenshot_20181116-195720.png

Aaaand for the sake of keeping a record, ODO at service today
20181117_171125.jpg

Drain plug magnet looks the right length, but looks like maybe it was dropped and a chunk broke off
Yeah OK, that's good. Was hoping that the crown wheel wasn't interfering with the plug and created its own clearance. Anyway, gonna get the hex drive drain and fill plugs off wits end for next time so should be all good then. The hex plugs seem to be a bit of a pain to undo...

Yeah, a good single hex 24mm socket with the face ground down so it has square shoulders helps get a bit more purchase on the standard plugs

Yep, that would work well. I had a 15/16 socket (Because I couldn't find a 24mm) on a long 1/2" drive ratchet and they came undone pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom