Just Got my 1st FJ40, but can't pass emissions and request input (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a rebuilt 1975 stock carb on the shelf.

818-953-9230

s34: you can't go wrong with Mark's rebuilt--he is an expert on the 40 carb and like a few others, expert on most things 40;)

Thanks for your deposit.

Ok so update on the FJ40 I have a Mark's Off Road carb rebuild coming in the mail and an air cleaner set from Mark as well. Hoping this will start me in the right direction with getting the rig back on the road.

My new question is could I remove the air pump from the engine bay and just install the new carb and air cleaner set up and hope for out of sight/out of mind when I hit emissions again?

How would I be able to figure out if the air pump is even working? I have the new belt needed and could attach the two hoses which are just hanging out with bolts blocking the end of them.

As the weather continues to cool here in Arizona I am really itching to get it out on the road.

Your input and knowledge are appreciated.

Scorpion34

You can put your hand on hose that goes from air filter housing to air pump and see if it is sucking air from cleaner to check functionality of pump. I don't know about Arizona but in California I think most techs would notice a missing smog (air) pump and fail it right away.

I am so happy that we do not need emissions on 35 years old and older vehicles in NC...Neither TX does not need them on older vehicles....My truck would not pass for sure....In worst scenario you can register in more friendly state...

You can put your hand on hose that goes from air filter housing to air pump and see if it is sucking air from cleaner to check functionality of pump. I don't know about Arizona but in California I think most techs would notice a missing smog (air) pump and fail it right away.

Thanks for the info, I will get the new belt put on and see what it does.

S34

I too have a de-smogged 75’ that I plan on taking to AZ when I move down there in the next year. My plan was to just get the collector insurance and not even bother with trying to piece the smog stuff back together....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom