Wifey Wants a Piggie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lelandEOD

SILVER Star
Threads
The wife wants a FJ55 so post up any interesting resto-mod candidates you might come across! The only requirements for this project are auto trans and air conditioning. I'm thinking 2UZ-FE or maybe a diesel...

1HZT+A440+FJ55=Cool.

I'm going to focus on a circa 1975 piggy. I want some of the features found on the later trucks (floor shifter, no wing windows, ignition on column, etc). But, I want the "TOYOTA" embossed found on the pre-'78 pigs. I'd really like to find a '67 just for the pre-smog title so I don't have to mess with classic tags.

Last edited:
I would keep it simple. There are thousands of swap possibilities and a diesel is neither simple, nor cheap as you are experiencing. Maybe a later model engine like a 3.4.

If you can figure out the wiring either a 4.7 v8 or a 4.0 v6 would be 100x better than any F motor.

The trouble with the 2UZFE is getting an ECU that works stand alone. AFAIK the only source for a tuned ecu is in South Africa and is $$$$$.
The you have to source the engine and trans and rebuild them. For a fraction of the cost you could do a really nice Chevy V-8 swap. I spent more than a few internet hours researching this conversion for my FJ40.
There is a reason the SBC conversion is so popular; cost availability of conversion parts and aftermarket support.

Another option is the 3FE. This is attractive because if you could find a totaled 80 series you could swap the whole drive train and axles. It would still be kind of gutless but I don't think anybody is looking to make a Pig into a Hot Rod.

The trouble with the 2UZFE is getting an ECU that works stand alone. AFAIK the only source for a tuned ecu is in South Africa and is $$$$$.
The you have to source the engine and trans and rebuild them. For a fraction of the cost you could do a really nice Chevy V-8 swap. I spent more than a few internet hours researching this conversion for my FJ40.
There is a reason the SBC conversion is so popular; cost availability of conversion parts and aftermarket support.

Another option is the 3FE. This is attractive because if you could find a totaled 80 series you could swap the whole drive train and axles. It would still be kind of gutless but I don't think anybody is looking to make a Pig into a Hot Rod.

I haven't gotten very far into anything yet, but there is a guy who has put several 2UZs in LCs so I'll have to learn more about what is required to make it work. The only real parameter is that the truck have an auto transmission (for the wife). I will never do a first-gen fuel injection system again (3FE) as I was strongly displeased with my last attempt. I also just don't have the heart to put a chevy product in a classic Toyota. I totally get why people do it, but it's just not for me. If I can't find a way to stay with a Toyota gasser, I will likely just push on with a diesel. BUT, I think I can make something else work.

Another idea I've got rattling around is the prospect of dropping a -55 body onto a -80 rolling frame. I am drawn to the better ride of the coils and more modern running gear that comes along with it.

296CB1F0-673E-4AA9-ACD0-FD4EC9B016A9.jpeg
If you can figure out the wiring either a 4.7 v8 or a 4.0 v6 would be 100x better than any F motor.

Yep

FCE93B02-849D-49DC-A747-128A3B5E49AB.jpeg
06D1B21D-5C0E-4411-9E1B-723627156953.jpeg
Another idea I've got rattling around is the prospect of dropping a -55 body onto a -80 rolling frame. I am drawn to the better ride of the coils and more modern running gear that comes along with it.

The 55 body fits nicely if you remove approx 7” in the center of the 80 frame.

So much for buying cheap 80's once people figure out the tricks.

I haven't gotten very far into anything yet, but there is a guy who has put several 2UZs in LCs so I'll have to learn more about what is required to make it work. The only real parameter is that the truck have an auto transmission (for the wife). I will never do a first-gen fuel injection system again (3FE) as I was strongly displeased with my last attempt. I also just don't have the heart to put a chevy product in a classic Toyota. I totally get why people do it, but it's just not for me. If I can't find a way to stay with a Toyota gasser, I will likely just push on with a diesel. BUT, I think I can make something else work.

I like the last idea the best.

Nice, but not a real grocery getter for a Wife. That baby is for running over rocks. Love the camo. That is a killer deal. 6,000.00 for a well set up crawler.

By the way I have some odds and ends and doors from a part-out, and I have a rolled 75 that I keep around just so I can figure out how to put my 74 back together - probably when my kids are away at college. If there's something there you urgently need let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom