Something seized... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Backstory, wife drove the truck during last hurricane for a day. The truck then started this nasty grind from the brakes. Never a problem before. Then I was driving from work on Friday and heard a subtle clunk and the truck wouldn't move. I give it gas and it doest move. Engage and disengage it in drive and no movement. It feel likes I'm stepping on the gas and brake at the same time.

Hopefully it is this problem: Rear Axle Issue and not anything worse.

I had ot towed to AAA car center with it potentially being a brake issue. We'll see what they say.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RibFykBtc7C1nCDH6

20181019_165119.jpg

So when you give it gas it revs up like in neutral or like you are standing on the brakes at the same time? I would think even if one of the braked were seized you should be able to drive through them.

Let us know what the mechanic says.

So when you give it gas it revs up like in neutral or like you are standing on the brakes at the same time? I would think even if one of the braked were seized you should be able to drive through them.

Let us know what the mechanic says.

Yeah it's a little different than neutral revving, the truck is trying to lunge it feels like.

Jack up each wheel off the ground one at a time and see if it moves just a little. If you find one that doesn't move it's probably of seized brake caliper

Last edited:
That and check for caliper bolts. Does it move in reverse but not forward? Or vice versa. If one comes out it will lock caliper up inside the wheel effectively adding brakes. Look inside wheel for scoring when verifying presence of all 4 bolts.

Depending on which bolt is missing will determine which direction moves and which wont.

That and check for caliper bolts. Does it move in reverse but not forward? Or vice versa. If one comes out it will lock caliper up inside the wheel effectively adding brakes. Look inside wheel for scoring when verifying presence of all 4 bolts.

Depending on which bolt is missing will determine which direction moves and which wont.

Dang having had that happen to me at 70mph in my Camaro I'm not sure why I didnt think of that. Good point.

my vote is for a caliper bolt...look for the scratched ring on the rim. might be able to see it through the spokes.

Bummer :(

If the AAA center doesn't give you a favorable option, we can help! You're not far from me, I can swing by at some point to give you a hand troubleshooting.

Yep, hate the caliper bolt issue. had it happen twice. Once on me before a trip to Sherando Lake and once to Heather at Pisgah (Thanks Eric and Eric!). I have 2 extras in my tool bag just in case...

Yep, hate the caliper bolt issue. had it happen twice. Once on me before a trip to Sherando Lake and once to Heather at Pisgah (Thanks Eric and Eric!). I have 2 extras in my tool bag just in case...
Yeah,since that trip ,I carry an extra in the glove box.

Just heard back from AAA. Says that there's a lot of rust and with labor: the right rear calipers both are stuck open, no brake pad on pass. right rear and driver's side rear, right front wheel caliper is seized shut, pads shot all around. They also say that they would have to replace brake "hoses" possibly all for a grand total of $1700 since I already have pads. After picking up my jaw, I told him I will most likely pass and have it sit for a while until I figure if I can take on another expense for the truck with headgasket job, radiator, exhaust leak, and power steering all done in past 8 months.

There's a pad missing?

If you get it back to your house and have it sit there, we can help. Brakes aren't hard with a few helping hands.

You can have 4 reman caliper from napa and 2 sets of pads for under 400 ( return your cores )

+/- 100 for hoses
+/- 100 for a bleeder and couple qts
+/- 100 for pizza n beer
How are the rotors?

You could likey get out for half that :)

I am willing to come over and assist. I can bring over a brake bleeder as well.

Last edited:
You can have 4 reman caliper from napa and 2 sets of pads for under 400 ( return your cores )

+/- 100 for hoses
+/- 100 for a bleeder and couple qts
+/- 100 for pizza n beer
How are the rotors?

You could likey get out for half that :)

This and I'm sure you could borrow a bleeder to save some more coin. If you are planning on a lift find some extended lines at this time.

Looks like I will tow it home and accept some help from those willing. What gives me the most pause is the rust, I don't have the impact wrenches or blow torches needed, I honestly only have a ratchet set and some miscellaneous tools.

The rotors seemed to be fine but it might be a good time to just replace those too.

I can't imagine the rust being that bad. Also not an issue as a lot of us have map gas torches (if needed) and tools (nothing really special needed for a brake / rotor job. Also, I have a 18 gallon dewalt air compressor that I use for work not done in the shop.

Might be easier to have one of us drag it to someone's house to do the work.

I'd go ahead and start spraying down the caliper bolts, brake hose unions, etc. with PB Blaster (or equivalent) to help with dissasembly!

Also, yes do rotors too...they aren't that much $$.

Don't worry we got tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom