Need to replace bearing on 93 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We need to replace the bearing on the front passenger side of our 93. I have a friend who is going to help me who has done bearings on other vehicles but not on a Land Cruiser. Any tips or advice? Links to helpful threads? Thank you!

Inner wheel bearing, outer wheel bearing, knuckle bearing? This will help get the advice you're looking for.

I assume you are asking about wheel bearings? It’s a standard set up with separate inner and outer bearings. Cruiseroutfitters is a great place to get your bearing kits. You may get it apart and find that you need more parts than you thought, like new bearings and possibly a new spindle. You will need new seals, gaskets and washer kit for sure.

Wheel bearings are normally done in pairs, driver and passenger sides at the same time.

Don’t bother following the bearing nut torquing procedure outlined in the manual, it rarely ever works out. We have found that simply torquing the preload nut to 25lb/ft keeps the bearings nice and snug for a long time.

It only bangs when it's going forward. Not in reverse. Possibly inner or outer?
Your posts are very vague. Perhaps taking your cruiser to a mechanic is something you should consider. “Banging” sounds indicate a significant problem.

Lift the wheels off the ground with a jack. See if there's play by rocking the wheels back and forth.

Lift the wheels off the ground with a jack. See if there's play by rocking the wheels back and forth.
we did lift it. And there was significant play on the passenger side. My friend tightened all the bolts including the caliper bolts and it was a little better but still a lot of play and occasional clanking or banging when the the brakes were applied or the wheels were turned. Drove it again since my earlier post and it is making the same noise in Reverse if the wheels are turned.

we did lift it. And there was significant play on the passenger side. My friend tightened all the bolts including the caliper bolts and it was a little better but still a lot of play and occasional clanking or banging when the the brakes were applied or the wheels were turned. Drove it again since my earlier post and it is making the same noise in Reverse if the wheels are turned.
You'll likely need an axle rebuild as suggested above...maybe more depending on what you find. Do both sides and @cruiseroutfit is the guy for parts. Sounds like more than just loose bearings to me, but you'll need to take it all apart to see. Good videos on YT with step by step. Doing it yourself is Cruiser baptism and not too tough. :beer:

Having a copy of the factory service manual on hand, just might come in handy when you go to put it all back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom