Power Steering Hard Line Replacement Options - FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've seen some good threads talking about the FJ60 Power Steering Return Hose.

Power steering pump hose

I've decided that while my radiator and condenser are out, it might be a perfect time to replace the hard return line. Its all rusty and I figure its a matter of time before it springs a leak or just breaks on me.

Based on my research on the forum.

1. The original hard line return OEM part is NLA
2. A 3/8" power steering OR transmission hose could be used to connect the reservoir to the gearbox
3. Its possible to throw on either a small transmission cooler or a power steering aux cooler and use new power steering hose from option 2 to connect the gearbox to the cooler to the reservoir
4. Is there a fourth option???

So based on all of this, what do people recommend? I am planning on utilizing my 4WD once I get the front-end all finished ( new CSF2708 radiator, Aisin Water pump, new thermostat and gaskets, new AC condenser). I do not want to get into power steering issues when I am out in the middle of nowhere.

Also - based on all of these threads it seems that getting a transmission oil cooler is not a bad idea either.

Is it possible to be placing TOO many coolers in front of the radiator ( it already has an AC Condenser). I was also thinking about adding an auxiliary fan for those hot days and sitting in traffic... But hard to fit everything in front of the grille.

While I am at it... The high pressure line makes sense to replace as well, rockauto has it for a very reasonable price (GATES 368900 - $45) . Mine seems to be in decent shape... But its a can of worms right now with me replacing everything in sight!

IMG_20181014_095026573_HDR.jpg

High pressure line closest to the front of the truck is P/N 4441060170. I can't find the P/N for the one you are looking for.

You have a few options:
1. list a wanted add and buy someone's parted out used ones
2. Go to a hydraulic shop and have them custom make them for you.

Hands down install a transmission cooler. I'd put that at the top of your list.
Male Metric to Male JIC 90 Degree Elbow Hydraulic Hose Adapter

I bought the above fitting and had a local hydraulic shop custom make me a hose from that back to the trans hard line. They did not have the old toyota fittings so they took mine apart and rebuilt it with new hose.

Last edited:
upload_2018-10-16_12-56-22.png

upload_2018-10-16_12-57-35.png

Make sure that whatever you use for your power steering pressure is actually for a high pressure application.

You could use an off the shelf hose from a parts source that’s intended for a 62, or make your own with universal hose ends. And adapter fittings (what I did)
The FJ62 hose routing makes it a complete pain and is one of the few serious flaws on the truck.

Transmission cooler and power steering cooler are both good ideas.

Power steering cooler needs to go on the return side.

Thanks
I made one out of 3/8" copper tube. Ten times better heat rejection.

@unklwedy Where are you getting your copper tubing from that's 3/8"? I was looking on JEGS and SUMMIT with no luck. Are you doing a double-flare?

I am interested in learning how to do this, since I'd like to build new SS brakelines as well. Parts don't seem too expensive and tools are for keeping on other projects.

Thanks

@cruisermatt I'll definitely be looking at the cooler upgrades and making some transmission lines myself. I am in a little bit of a rush to get this done over the next week, but traveling for a few nights and during the weekend (bachelor party in Las Vegas - on no). But its my birthday in two weeks and I promised family members we are taking out the FJ62 to go to the OHV for the weekend.

Also - you're in ORL? My wife is from Casselberry. I'll be out visiting for Christmas for a week!

High pressure line closest to the front of the truck is P/N 4441060170. I can't find the P/N for the one you are looking for.

You have a few options:
1. list a wanted add and buy someone's parted out used ones
2. Go to a hydraulic shop and have them custom make them for you.

Hands down install a transmission cooler. I'd put that at the top of your list.
Male Metric to Male JIC 90 Degree Elbow Hydraulic Hose Adapter

I bought the above fitting and had a local hydraulic shop custom make me a hose from that back to the trans hard line. They did not have the old toyota fittings so they took mine apart and rebuilt it with new hose.

Great suggestions @Randy88FJ62 . I was looking for replacement Male Metric to Male JIC 90 degree and 45 degrees. I was able to pull out the old ones from my old radiator. I soaked them in evaporust and put new o-rings on them. However, it would have been better to buy brand new ones like you did.

I am not very interested in using old parts for anything that is mission critical to the trucks' performance. I'll be replacing brake lines, all the transmission lines, fuel lines and power steering lines in whatever order I can get to without my :princess: killing me.

@cruisermatt I'll definitely be looking at the cooler upgrades and making some transmission lines myself. I am in a little bit of a rush to get this done over the next week, but traveling for a few nights and during the weekend (bachelor party in Las Vegas - on no). But its my birthday in two weeks and I promised family members we are taking out the FJ62 to go to the OHV for the weekend.

Also - you're in ORL? My wife is from Casselberry. I'll be out visiting for Christmas for a week!

If you decide to make your own power steering pressure line (which I highly recommend doing, see my previous comment about the original routing), PSC sells the correct inverted flare metric adapters you need for the steering box and pump.
I live about two miles from Casselberry, funny.

I did not flare copper line, but used 2 hose clamps at hose connection.

Does anyone know the pressure on the return line? I have a power steering cooler sitting in the garage waiting for an install and I'm curious what pressures to expect.

Does anyone know the pressure on the return line? I have a power steering cooler sitting in the garage waiting for an install and I'm curious what pressures to expect.

Not much. Hose clamps and barbed fittings are adequate for return lines so that should give you a good indication.

Not much. Hose clamps and barbed fittings are adequate for return lines so that should give you a good indication.

I'd prefer not to cut into the existing low pressure line and use it as a back up if the P/S cooler option didn't work.

Where can I find information on the fitting coming off the steering box? Any pictures of your setup?

EDIT:
So I am looking at the microfiche and am I correct in thinking the low pressure lines are all hose that goes over tubing? Doesn't look too bad.

I'd prefer not to cut into the existing low pressure line and use it as a back up if the P/S cooler option didn't work.

Where can I find information on the fitting coming off the steering box? Any pictures of your setup?

EDIT:
So I am looking at the microfiche and am I correct in thinking the low pressure lines are all hose that goes over tubing? Doesn't look too bad.

Yes, there is hardline that goes under the radiator parallel to the high-pressure line but its just rubber hose and hose clamps from that line to the pump and to the steering box.
You don't need to cut into anything, you can just leave the old return line under the radiator, it won't go anywhere. I ran like that for awhile!

I got my conversion fittings from PSC, there's a few brands that sell them though. M16x1.5 inverted flare for the pump and box high pressure fittings.
I converted everything, including the low pressure side to -6 AN just for consistency, and because I hate hose clamps. There are a lot of pictures of my current setupin my build thread, but they probably won't be very helpful to since I have a different pump on the other side ofthe engine (5.3 swap) and a hydroboost conversion. Completely different set of lines.

When I had my 3FE I just ran a -6 AN hose straight to the pump from the box. I routed it down under the fan shroud so it could be removed easily but wasn't in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom