8274 motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm rebuilding my 8274 and would like to clean the motor. Is there any reason why I can't clean out the inside of the motor (windings removed) with degreaser/cleaners or solvent?

I'm rebuilding my 8274 and would like to clean the motor. Is there any reason why I can't clean out the inside of the motor (windings removed) with degreaser/cleaners or solvent?

No reason not to. You might use electrical contact cleaner instead of brake cleaner or petroleum solvent for an added margin of safety - but once you take the armature and brushes out, the motor casing is basically just a shell. Clean the copper plating on the armature that the brushes ride on really well, until the copper is shiny again. A pencil eraser works well and won't abrade the copper.

Be very careful when removing and replacing the armature, not to bugger the brushes. They are kind of brittle, and are NLA if you break one.

I just removed the armature. The brush assembly and the coils that are mounted the wall of the housing are left inside. Can I just leave them in place and degrease without harming the cover on those windings?

I just removed the armature. The brush assembly and the coils that are mounted the wall of the housing are left inside. Can I just leave them in place and degrease without harming the cover on those windings?

I would use spray cleaner for electrical contacts, and not brake cleaner or harsh petroleum solvents in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom