Photos: Long Range Automotive 24 Gal Aux Tank for 80 Series Installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone installed the 24 Aux tank with either a 4x4 labs or Slee rear bumper?
I also have an aftermarket bumper (DC Fabrications...very similar to Labs) and was wanting to install one of these tanks. Seem like a great option for extended range. Not too many installed on 80s in the U.S. that I could find info on.

I also have an aftermarket bumper (DC Fabrications...very similar to Labs) and was wanting to install one of these tanks. Seem like a great option for extended range. Not too many installed on 80s in the U.S. that I could find info on.
I'll have to give Georg a call and see what he thinks.

dont want the extra weight I just cant do it, tank is for sale located in Va.

dont want the extra weight I just cant do it, tank is for sale located in Va.
drag it out to UT on your next trip?

drag it out to UT on your next trip?
Negative on the dragging, its in land cruiser country Im sure someone will smile sweetly on it.

Last edited:
Curious about where the modifications need to be made to the LRA bracket when installing on a vehicle with a 4x4 Labs bumper. I am interested in this kit for sure...

I'm curious where exactly the modifications need to be made to the LRA bracket. Wouldn't want to take the chance if the cutting happens to be in a structural area of the bracket.

Perhaps LRA can chime in?

Curious about where the modifications need to be made to the LRA bracket when installing on a vehicle with a 4x4 Labs bumper. I am interested in this kit for sure...

I'm curious where exactly the modifications need to be made to the LRA bracket. Wouldn't want to take the chance if the cutting happens to be in a structural area of the bracket.

Perhaps LRA can chime in?
LRA doesn' hang out on MUD but Georg @orangefj45 and Ward @wardharris are (as Cruiser Brothers) exclusive agents for Long Range Automotive on this side of the water (video below) and Georg is our tank/tech guru, having installed a bunch of LRAs - some of them with 4x4 Labs metal back there - Georg?

Sorry for the somewhat duplicate reply. My browser glitched when I tried to post the first time. Didn't think it took.

The tank was purchased from Cruiser Brothers. Local mechanics who know my 80 installed it. They said installation was straight forward and that everything that was needed was included.

Do you recall how many shop labor hours it took your guys? I seem to recall 7 hours was the amount of time the literature said a technician would take to install. Does that sound about right?

Do you recall how many shop labor hours it took your guys? I seem to recall 7 hours was the amount of time the literature said a technician would take to install. Does that sound about right?

I think it was a full 8 hours, or maybe 9.

I have seen in person a 24 LRA aux tank installed to a 4x4 labs bumper. It’s a local buddy of mine. From what I remember, not all 4x4 labs bumpers are the same so hard to say what exactly will work and what won’t. I do know on my friend’s Labs, tabs were welded to the square 2”X2” crossmember replacement from the Labs to mount the tank.

I have a Slee rear bumper and I placed my order for a 24 gal aux tank. It should be here very soon and I can’t wait to get it. Valley Hybrids will be installing it. I have yet to see or hear anybody install a 24 LRA aux with a Slee so should be interesting to see how it mounts up. I think the only problem that may arise is that I’d have to ditch the 2” tow receiver since it mounts to the 3 inboard capture nuts on the frame where the tank brackets bolts to.

I have seen in person a 24 LRA aux tank installed to a 4x4 labs bumper. It’s a local buddy of mine. From what I remember, not all 4x4 labs bumpers are the same so hard to say what exactly will work and what won’t. I do know on my friend’s Labs, tabs were welded to the square 2”X2” crossmember replacement from the Labs to mount the tank.

I have a Slee rear bumper and I placed my order for a 24 gal aux tank. It should be here very soon and I can’t wait to get it. Valley Hybrids will be installing it. I have yet to see or hear anybody install a 24 LRA aux with a Slee so should be interesting to see how it mounts up. I think the only problem that may arise is that I’d have to ditch the 2” tow receiver since it mounts to the 3 inboard capture nuts on the frame where the tank brackets bolts to.

I'll certainly be interested to hear, since I have the Slee bumper with the hitch.

Generally speaking, the aux tanks for most cruisers and Toyota/Lexus vehicles take 7-8 hours to install. That time estimate is fairly accurate for a decent mechanic working with the vehicle on a lift. If you’ve never done an aux tank install then it can take longer.

We’ve installed a number of aux tanks in 80, 100, 200, GXs ....... quote a few of these installs we’re into vehicles equipped with aftermarket rear bumpers from Slee and 4x4Labs.
On the 80s with Labs bumpers we typically cut down the rear lip to get it to fit with the Labs rear cross member. We then weld a set of tabs/brackets to that cross member and bolt the rear of the tank to them. This adds a little time & work but it’s not difficult at all.
4x4Labs is 100 Miles from us and I’ve been friends with Luke since the early 90s so we typically install his bumpers.
I don’t recall having installed an 80 aux tank with the Slee rear bumper although we may have. I’m sure the install will be similar to a LAbs bumper and when we install one, I’ll make sure to take pics and document the required mods if any.

Happy to help!!!

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808

I just did the install myself and have a 4x4labs rear. I didn't bother using the included bracket and just welded a piece of angle iron and gusseted the crap out of it. It's welded to the rear 4x4 cross member.

Here's some pics. I've been lazy to do a write up but I eventually I will. But the install wasn't too bad. I did it in 2 days and did the install with Airlift airbags at the same time to combat the sag. I'm already running J's in the rear too.

View attachment 1868679

20181215_204542.jpg

20181223_153625.jpg

20181215_204438.jpg

20181223_192256.jpg

20181223_191028.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom