Where can I find crank for spare tire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys

I just bought my 100 not long ago and it didn't come with the roadside tire change tools. I'm wondering if you guys either have the part number or an aftermarket replacement for the crank tool that raises and lowers the spare tire winch. I've tried searching parts catalogs and so far I'm coming up empty. Thanks.

So you did not get the jack or the jack handle in the side compartment? Everything is in the back DS pocket normally.
Start with this list.
LEXUS LX470 STANDARD TOOL

That kit would work, just make sure that your stock tire winch uses that style crank vs the one where it has a special key in it. Shine a flash light through the access hole and see if you see a slot or a star shaped key.

That kit would work, just make sure that your stock tire winch uses that style crank vs the one where it has a special key in it. Shine a flash light through the access hole and see if you see a slot or a star shaped key.

Even if it has the anti-theft 'key', it can be removed. It's just a piece that is pressed in the bore of the winch. I removed mine so I could use the standard 'hook' type tire let down tool.

Hmm, you must have had a different style winch because on the "keyed" winch I had, it did not have the slot inserts for the blade type winch tool. All it had was the keyed star center in the middle of the winch mechanism.

Hmm, you must have had a different style winch because on the "keyed" winch I had, it did not have the slot inserts for the blade type winch tool. All it had was the keyed star center in the middle of the winch mechanism.

That 'star' is removable, it is just pressed in the bore. Remove the black plastic dust cover and star and the standard 'slot' will be underneath it. You'll be left with the standard slot and the metal 'funnel'.

thanks for the info guys. looking at that 80 dollar listing on ebay makes me think that all i really need is the crank, and an aftermarket one would be best. Do you think this will work? It looks almost the same and this is all I need.

05-13 Toyota Tacoma Spare Lug Wrench Tire Tool Replacement Kit with Case

Yes, that will work for any winch with the standard 'slot'. The lug wrench in that kit won't work for your lug nuts (I believe yours are 22mm) but the rest of it should work to let the spare tire down and also to operate the (OEM) jack.

You had a spare tire lock over the standard winch slot. Stupidest thing ever.

Yes, unfortunately some Land Cruisers and quite a few LX470's had an anti-theft spare tire winch (which is nothing but a standard winch with a pressed in star key).

Spare%20tire%20winch%20lock_zpspfol7trm.jpg

Spare%20Tire%20Winch%20LX470_zpsixdky3bm.jpg

Just peel the plastic dust cover off of the key, hit/pry it some....and it will come right out, leaving you the standard slot and metal funnel on the winch.

That 'star' is removable, it is just pressed in the bore. Remove the black plastic dust cover and star and the standard 'slot' will be underneath it. You'll be left with the standard slot and the metal 'funnel'.

How would you suggest I try to pry out the cone? Funny enough, the LX 470 Owners manual just shows the hook insert that you stick in the cone, but in real life I found a wheel lock two feet inside the hole on my bumper. Thank god I didn't find out my wheel lock was missing while on the road! Anyway, I am missing this stupid key and frankly I could do without it. Is there a way to remove the parts you mentioned, while the wheel is attached? I just want to have access to my spare tire, you know, like normal people would.

You could deflate the tire and see if you can get the chain to pass through the center of the wheel, remove spare, and reinflate.
Might be worth a try.
HTH.

You could deflate the tire and see if you can get the chain to pass through the center of the wheel, remove spare, and reinflate.
Might be worth a try.
HTH.

Not a bad idea at all. Although I would have to access the schraeder valve somehow to deflate it, which doesn’t look possible with the tire stuck up against the car.

@flintknapper were you able to knock the spare tire key thing off the winch with the tire still mounted on the car?

EDIT: I found your other thread where you said you removed the four bolts to drop the whole thing out of the car. I'll check mine to see if it's possible (for posterity: LX470 spare tire key)

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I went through this fiasco a year or so ago. I ended buying a winch from a fellow mud member who had moved his spare to the bumper. I even went to the local Lexus dealer and they were absolutely clueless about the key. You may want to look on the part out forum in the classifieds. Someone may have a spare key they'll sell.

Yeah, in this case I wish they'd just bolted the thing to some studs under the car. I don't know what the practical reasons are to use a winch instead, maybe better "ease of use" (at the expense of other kinds of "ease of use"). They could even implement a standard wheel lock for this purpose.

@flintknapper were you able to knock the spare tire key thing off the winch with the tire still mounted on the car?

I don't see an easy way to access the key without having the winch removed and on a bench.

It is just pressed in place and held with a star shaped thin metal washer. The design of the washer is such that it makes the 'key' difficult to pull straight out, but you can grab it with a pair of pliers or hit it with a drift punch and hammer and move it side to side). This will deform the star washer and allow you to remove the key. There is nothing to do after that.... since the requisite channels are already in the metal cone to accept the hook on the let down tool (same hook end that is used to operate the jack).

I was able to reach over the top of the tire and using a ratcheting wrench...remove the four bolts holding the spare tire winch. Others have removed the bolts on each side of the supporting cross-member and then wrestled the entire thing out...but I found it easier to just do the winch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom