Lost rocket, somewhere around Black Rock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DesertLake

SILVER Star
Threads
This weekend up in Black Rock I met some USC grads searching for a rocket that should have made 380,000 feet but telemetry wasn't working. They are confident the recovery equipment did not work, it either cratered or splattered at Mach 4. I told them I'd put the word out with people I know that travel up there.

This was built by the USC Rocket Propulsion Lab, you can find them on Facebook. Long shot, but it would be nice if they get data from the launch.

This is the only 4wd forum I'm on anymore, so if any of you on Reno, Pirate, etc wouldn't mind reposting please do so.

Launch date: September 29 (Saturday)

Launch location:
40.873234361N 119.0916W

Direction of travel (probable)
SW 225 degrees +/- 25 degrees, maybe even wider.
Range unknown, but they say they heard the sonic boom from re-entry.

Pass it along, you never know who'll see it.

Thanks!

USCrocketpath.jpg

Having watched rockets come down supersonic out there (about 30 feet from where we were standing), chances are the whole thing is under ground. At that less than that speed I saw a 5 foot rocket bury itself 4.5 feet in the playa.

And even if it isn't fully buried, with an area that size and no telemetry data.... finding a literal needle in a haystack is actually much easier.

Last edited:
Agreed, yet there are so many of us out there it's worth noting who needs it if found. BRD isn't as empty as it used to be.

Came across the black rock and smoke creek yesterday (on a train of course). With the clouds and rain it was an unbeleiveable view, Lots of people camping and lots of tire tracks on the smoke creek side (good way to sink in the playa).

Just a thought, have someone post it at bruno's. If it came down at an angle and didnt burrow in someone may run across it...

Came across the black rock and smoke creek yesterday (on a train of course). With the clouds and rain it was an unbeleiveable view, Lots of people camping and lots of tire tracks on the smoke creek side (good way to sink in the playa).

Just a thought, have someone post it at bruno's. If it came down at an angle and didnt burrow in someone may run across it...

Yeah I suggested it to the USC people but they had already left the area and so had I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom