Tough dog review thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is it possible to purchase just the shocks? If so, anyone know the cost of the 41mm TD shocks?

270.00 for 41mm (front and rear)
390.00 for 45mm adjustables (rear)
390.00 for 53mm (front)

41mm rears and 53mm fronts are currently in stock. 41mm fronts and 45mm adjustable rears are 10 days out.

Jason

Anyone have info on the adjustable rear shocks? I received them but there is literally no info with them. Not sure which direction the adjustment knob should turn to make them stiffer/softer/etc.

Anyone have info on the adjustable rear shocks? I received them but there is literally no info with them. Not sure which direction the adjustment knob should turn to make them stiffer/softer/etc.

There should have been a paper in the box showing how to use the knob. 1-oclock is the softest and 11 o-clock is the firmest. Rotate clockwise to firm and counter clockwise to soften (not continuously around). I'd set at the 6 o'clock position to start and adjust from there.

J

It's a little confusing without the paper because the dial doesn't have as many notches in 360°, there's an overlap in it .

20181011_094141.jpg

For now, I'm running between #2 and #3 on the road, rides pretty nice.

For now, I'm running between #2 and #3 on the road, rides pretty nice.

Which coils do you have back there?
I just ordered a set and they're coming with the gold coils, which i've only seen @MongooseGA install and he had an issue with rear height which was never resolved because of the incident he had with the truck.

I'm just trying to gather info until the kit arrives.

Which coils do you have back there?
I just ordered a set and they're coming with the gold coils, which i've only seen @MongooseGA install and he had an issue with rear height which was never resolved because of the incident he had with the truck.

I'm just trying to gather info until the kit arrives.

Just to clarify, my issue was resolved. There was a mix-up and I was originally sent the heavy weight coils. This has since been remedied by Jason and the new coils are on my work bench waiting for the new truck.

Just to clarify, my issue was resolved. There was a mix-up and I was originally sent the heavy weight coils. This has since been remedied by Jason and the new coils are on my work bench waiting for the new truck.

Thanks for the heads up! i was stalking you all night yesterday trying to find out what happened, when i stumbled across your loss. I can't imagine the feeling, Good Luck with your search!

I have the heavy coils. They are RED and FAT

Last edited:
Received the VM and will call you tomorrow.

J

Seem like decent shocks, the shop installing the rears had a question but unfortunately I could not get a number to reach anyone after asking 2X.

Last edited:
Seem like decent shocks, the shop installing the rears had a question but unfortunately I could not get a number to reach anyone after asking 2X.

I did reply with my phone number, never got a call to the question about--- my mechanic thinks I got the wrong shocks, the ones you sent have a metal bushing/sleeve.

Yes they do, just like the OEM ones have.

I got a second email about the shock contacting the sway bar. I didn't reply due to waiting on a call. I never received a call so I assumed your "mechanic" figured it out.

ALSO........ All order conformations, my website and PayaPal invoices have a contact phone number as well as a email to make contact with me. Phone contact for me is the SLOWEST form of communication, mainly because I can't hear my phone ring while I'm welding, grinding, running a forklift, phone reception, etc.

Have a nice day!

Jason

Email confirmation phone number.jpg
Updated contact us.jpg

since all of our communication was via email....I did the same. Below is a shot of the email trail....no phone number and no order form. I guess I should have searched more.

The 53mm front shocks are back in stock.

395.00 a pair shipped is the new price.

PayPal me at

sales@trailtailor.com

Jason

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2018 5:35 AM
To: Jason Reeves
Subject: Re: shocks

J,
Thats fine. Go ahead and put me down for the rears. You can ship them all
at one time if you would like. I am heading to Colorado toward the end of
August so they will not get installed until after that.
Merle

> On Aug 3, 2018, at 3:44 PM, Jason Reeves <cwi1jr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> M,
>
> I'm about to place a Tough Dog order, but the 53mm are still backordered.
> Would you like to order the 45mm rears at this time or wait. I will honor
> the old pricing for the 45mm now, but if ordered after Monday, they will
be
> at the new increased pricing.
>
> J
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Merle Edingtom [mailto:merle.edington@gmail.com]
> Sent: Monday, July 23, 2018 5:08 PM
> To: Jason Reeves
> Subject: Re: shocks
>
> Thanks! Please let me know when you get them in.
>
>> On Jul 23, 2018, at 6:22 PM, Jason Reeves <cwi1jr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Merle,
>>
>> I'd run the 53mm up front and the 45mm adjustables in the rear if it were
> my
>> rig..
>>
>> 53mm are backordered 6-7 weeks (plus ship time from AUS) and 45mm rears
> are
>> 3-4 weeks out now
>>
>> Jason
>>
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Merle Edingtom [mailto:merle.edington@gmail.com]
>> Sent: Monday, July 23, 2018 4:20 PM
>> To: Jason Reeves
>> Subject: Re: shocks
>>
>> It is a play vehicle. Some driving around town. Trips from KC to Colorado
> to
>> go exploring.
>>
>> The truck is heavy with Arb front, Slee rear bumpers. Slee sliders,
skids.
>> ARB drawers and fridge, etc.
>>
>>> On Jul 23, 2018, at 6:12 PM, Jason Reeves <cwi1jr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Merle,
>>>
>>> What do you use the 100 for. Break it down in offroad, DD, high speed
>>> offroad, etc..
>>>
>>> The 53mm up front are for heavy rigs running higher speeds off road and
>>> mainly used for offroad.
>>>
>>> I'm currently out of 100 shocks for 3-4 weeks. The HIH guys have cleaned
>> me
>>> out before and after.
>>>
>>> Jason
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Merle Edington [mailto:merle.edington@gmail.com]
>>> Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2018 7:53 AM
>>> To: sales@trail-tailor.com
>>> Subject: shocks
>>>
>>> Looking at replacing my OME shocks on my lifted 100 series.
>>>
>>> Truck is heavy with winch, bumpers, sliders, skids, etc.
>>>
>>> I have seen quite a bit about the larger shocks for the front. What
> would
>>> you recommend front and rear? Cost?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Merle=
>>>
>>>
>>> ---
>>> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
>>> Avast | Download Free Antivirus & VPN | 100% Free & Easy
>>>
>>
>

Last edited:
since all of our communication was via email....I did the same. Below is a shot of the email trail....no phone number and no order form. I guess I should have searched more.

The 53mm front shocks are back in stock.

395.00 a pair shipped is the new price.

PayPal me at

sales@trailtailor.com

Jason

Merle, looks like you got an invoice on the first set of shocks and you just paid direct to PP on the second set.

Jason

upload_2018-10-25_6-39-8.png

Very interested.. my OME,s are beating me to death. Pm sent to Jason to try and figure if 41’s front and back would work. hopefully I can beat the price increase

Did you switch to tough dog? I have a pretty fresh OME kit on mine, a bit rough over the small stuff. Curious if swapping out the OME shocks for TD and leaving the torsion bars and rear springs will help much .

Did you switch to tough dog? I have a pretty fresh OME kit on mine, a bit rough over the small stuff. Curious if swapping out the OME shocks for TD and leaving the torsion bars and rear springs will help much .
Yep. I run OME medium rear springs with TD shocks. Supple smooth, very nice ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom