Tough dog review thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No offense meant. It obviously wasn't a factor in purchasing :)

Oh no offense at all.... It is what it is.... HA!

People laughed at the Trail Tailor name when I started up and have butchered the name spelling ever since... Taylor, Trailor, Tailer, Tayler, Traylor and about 20 more, but I'm still here.

J

I actually think trail tailor is pretty cool. Makes me think of running rocks with a precision. Reminds me of when I was in the 911 world, someone once described a well dialed-in car as a 'surgical weapon' on the track which I thought sounded badass.

Tough dog, not so much :rofl:

Do you happen to know the dimensions of the TD 2" golds I'll be using? Looking to order my air bag helpers.

I actually think trail tailor is pretty cool. Makes me think of running rocks with a precision. Reminds me of when I was in the 911 world, someone once described a well dialed-in car as a 'surgical weapon' on the track which I thought sounded badass.

Tough dog, not so much :rofl:

Do you happen to know the dimensions of the TD 2" golds I'll be using? Looking to order my air bag helpers.

480mm and 465mm with an ID of 140mm

J

Has anyone opined that "Tough Dog" is a horrible name yet? What were the people in marketing thinking?

It's also from Australia, so understanding the lingo or cultural implications are probably 'tough' for us to understand.

Just got my goods in the mail today. Is it weird that the shocks have no rebound when compressed by hand? I did some googling and read something about cycling them in and out manually a few times before installing. Is this something to do with the hydraulic rebound stop?

Last edited:
They are not gaz charged as others, they are foam cells, more like regular hydraulic, no static pressure, no self extension

Gotcha. Thanks for that. I hadn't read anything about it prior to playing with them yesterday. Was definitely confusing without that knowledge.

I'd been dreading the top nut on the rear shocks after reading about everyone fighting them so much. Was pleasantly surprised how easy they were to remove with just a standard 22mm gear wrench. Didn't even need the flex head. Would have been a little easier, but definitely not worth putting the work on hold for.

Just wrapped up the install of the front shocks and TBs. This is the 2" kit with gold Tough Dog springs and the HD torsion bars. With the vehicle sitting on all 4 tires now, I am thinking something is off.

My measurements before installing (center of hub to fender lip):

LF: 20" RF: 19"

LR: 20 7/8" RR: 21"

Measurements now after adjusting the torsion bars (center of hub to fender lip):

LF: 22 1/2" RF: 22 1/4"

LR: 24" RR: 24 1/2"

I was only able to get about an inch to inch and a half droop. Looks like I should be getting 2 1/4- 2 1/2" or so. I imagine my front end is still just a little high. I left it a little high because the rear is a good bit higher than I believe it should be. Also confusing is that the RH rear is taller than the LH, despite the taller spring being on the LH side (spring is also marked LH). Both springs are fully and correctly seated as far as I can tell. Spare tire is not in the back of the truck and it's got about 1/4 tank fuel. I'm sure weight is a factor and some settling is to be expected with use. Does this seem about standard?

Before any TB adjustments, super stink bug:

View media item 76142
Where I finally ended up leaving it for now:

View media item 76143View media item 76144
I'll wait until everything is in spec before I comment on the ride quality. Also still waiting on UCAs that were ordered weeks ago to finally, ever, arrive.

I'm about to pull the trigger on my lift, so please keep us posted. What size tire are you running?

Nice, I'm looking at 295/70 R18.

It's still sitting higher than I thought it would. Are the springs expecting extra bumper weight?

It's still sitting higher than I thought it would. Are the springs expecting extra bumper weight?

They're rated for 0-660lbs in the rear end. I've got 400lbs in there right now and just measured it again. My rears are at 23.5 and 24" still. They might just be too beefy a spring for what I need yet. I'd rather a 'lightweight' spring that I could pump with with an airlift system.

My front end is definitely high as well. I just measured and both sides could stand about 3/4" less. I think my down-travel would greatly improve with that. Until I get the springs figured out though, I'll leave it as is in front. If I bring it down it'll just look stupid right now.

Here it is with the cement in the rear:

View media item 76160

Just wrapped up the install of the front shocks and TBs. This is the 2" kit with gold Tough Dog springs and the HD torsion bars. With the vehicle sitting on all 4 tires now, I am thinking something is off.

My measurements before installing (center of hub to fender lip):

LF: 20" RF: 19"

LR: 20 7/8" RR: 21"

Measurements now after adjusting the torsion bars (center of hub to fender lip):

LF: 22 1/2" RF: 22 1/4"

LR: 24" RR: 24 1/2"

I was only able to get about an inch to inch and a half droop. Looks like I should be getting 2 1/4- 2 1/2" or so. I imagine my front end is still just a little high. I left it a little high because the rear is a good bit higher than I believe it should be. Also confusing is that the RH rear is taller than the LH, despite the taller spring being on the LH side (spring is also marked LH). Both springs are fully and correctly seated as far as I can tell. Spare tire is not in the back of the truck and it's got about 1/4 tank fuel. I'm sure weight is a factor and some settling is to be expected with use. Does this seem about standard?

Before any TB adjustments, super stink bug:

View media item 76142
Where I finally ended up leaving it for now:

View media item 76143View media item 76144
I'll wait until everything is in spec before I comment on the ride quality. Also still waiting on UCAs that were ordered weeks ago to finally, ever, arrive.
Maybe @reevesci can chime in...

If it's an Austrailian brand suspension then the problem of rear height differences you are experiencing may be bc RH is the side where the driver sits down under ???

So even though it says L & R it would be better if it said driver & passenger

As with all imported suspensions the taller spring goes on the DS regardless of the marking. This is the case for 60, 70, 80 and 100. Even the gx460 and gx470. The 200 series is the only one to my knowledge this doesn't apply to.

He seems to be about an inch taller than what is usually posted. Not sure what the reasoning is.

The 2" 0-660# coil is the shortest and the lightest rate 2" lift coil made by TD.

J

@bozncsurf It's probably better being labelled as it is so that the perspective doesn't change for a LHD/RHD vehicle. Otherwise @reevesci would be getting emails left and right for clarification (he still got one from me before install, sorry Jason)

I'll keep the weight in the back for a little while. It might postpone my new tire mounting and alignment but I'd rather have it right before putting the new consumable rubbers on it.

Following.

Is it possible to purchase just the shocks? If so, anyone know the cost of the 41mm TD shocks?

Is it possible to purchase just the shocks? If so, anyone know the cost of the 41mm TD shocks?

From page 2 of this thread, it's the most current I've seen.

Since I have a new dealer under me I have been told I have to increase my prices to meet the Tough Dog recommended RRP/MAP...

New Pricing as of 8-1-18
41mm-- 270.00 shipped per pair
45mm-- 390.00 shipped per pair
53mm-- 390.00 shipped per pair

SHOCK SPECS-- PDF:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom