Should I get Rough Country Lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1981 FJ60. I will only use it for dirt trails, Petroglyph hunting, camping etc, no major rock crawling I have my 4runner for that ...

I called (
Dirt Logic's Lifts Tires & wheels @ 7223 Alameda - El Paso, TX 79915)
to get a body lift to fit bigger tires and they quoted me at around 800.00 dollars for a rough country suspension 3 inch lift!

It sounded great...I could run 32s easy maybe 33s and clear rocks and stuff much better..plus the 4 speed would maybe give me 65+ with bigger tires..

again I use my FJ as a daily driver when 4runner is broken down/weekend with light to moderate offroad use....I am not installing body armor, winch, or anything heavy....keeping it as stock as possible with exception of light/small roof rack for spare tire, 20 inch light bar, tow hitch, and australian ?bull/brush guard that weights maybe 100 pounds....

That sounds very inexpensive. All the full kits I have seen have been in the $1500 range before labor....if you are paying someone to do it.

Yes I guess I need to ask exactly what it comes with... and yes the cheapest I have found OME suspension is 1500 plus shipping plus I would have to do the labor myself... so the 800 quote caught my attention ... but I need to ask exactly what the kit comes with

Interesting. I think it's safe to say that plenty of us here on mud go with the ARB OME setup...Kurt (@cruiseroutfit) can help you out there. I've also seen Tough Dog suspension setups recently, @reevesci can set you up with these. Regardless if you're wandering the woods or pavement a whole new suspension makes these trucks into completely new machines.

I'd be interested in what the Rough Country Lift comes with...full spring packs, shackles/pins, bushings, shocks?

"If its too good to be true....."

No no no.. There’s a reason Rough is in their name. Stick to the known Landcruiser suspensions.

Personally, I have the Dobinson which falls in the $1200 range for complete kit and I couldn’t be happier. But other posters hav pointed to other great options.

We have had several customers throughout the years come in and pay us to remove these kits. They are horrible in my opinion!

We ship all OME lift kits for free. They are worth the extra money!

Used a Rough Country lift on a 79 Scout II that I used to own. Sorriest excuse for lift ever manufactured IMO. Plain A$$ Junk.

Interesting. I think it's safe to say that plenty of us here on mud go with the ARB OME setup...Kurt (@cruiseroutfit) can help you out there. I've also seen Tough Dog suspension setups recently, @reevesci can set you up with these. Regardless if you're wandering the woods or pavement a whole new suspension makes these trucks into completely new machines.

I'd be interested in what the Rough Country Lift comes with...full spring packs, shackles/pins, bushings, shocks?
Well I called the shop today....it looks like it comes with "everything to lift it 4 inches, lift springs, shocks, blocks, new leafs" ....I was told that I really need to go down there to look at what is needed.....

looks like ill be shopping around sounds like everyone likes Old Man Emu for the Landcruisers.....but whats up with EMU DAKAR lifts? Are these the newer (better) of the OME brand?

Ill throw in a vote for the Tough Dog suspension. I drive my 60 usually around town and it was a vast improvement over the stock suspension.
Off road it performed remarkably well. Went through 4 hours of trail a few weeks back and man o man did it handle the moderate rocky trail, woops and everything between so well. I kept remarking to my wife how kooooosh it was. She just kept nodding.

Last edited:
A rebrand and manufacturing change of a timeless product.

15,000 miles of daily driving on my OME Dakar leafs without issue. Go with what everyone has already used. Just buy it from @cruiseroutfit

looks like ill be shopping around sounds like everyone likes Old Man Emu for the Landcruisers.....but whats up with EMU DAKAR lifts? Are these the newer (better) of the OME brand?

Emu Dakar is simply the name brand of the OME leaf springs. Just as their shocks are called Nitrocharger, etc.

Fwiw: Cruiser Outfitters

Well I called the shop today....it looks like it comes with "everything to lift it 4 inches, lift springs, shocks, blocks, new leafs" ....I was told that I really need to go down there to look at what is needed.....

If they are stating that they'll be installing blocks in the suspension you need to find another shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom