Help Needed: Sunroof Parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I read through all the FJ80 sunroof threads I could get my hands on and finally decided to tackle my broken sunroof. I have it completely removed the headliner and sunroof from the vehicle and found the culprit. Clogged drip tubes caused water to pool up around the cables which are now completely rusted and seized.

I am trying to figure out what parts I need.

6322360030 and 6322460030 appear to be sliding roof drive cables, which I need, but it is unclear to me if I need to buy the entire rail sub assembly for each side as well: 6360360014 and 6360460014.

IMG_20180929_145410970.jpg
IMG_20180929_140344116_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180929_130141432.jpg
IMG_20180929_110821427.jpg

Are 6322360030 and 6322460030 just the cables themselves, or do they include the hinged mechanism as in my first pic above? That's what I think I need: everything in the first pic taken on my wood pile. The cable and hinged mechanism. For both sides.

Honestly, I'd just buy the whole new assembly. I think the whole thing is around $500 and that includes new glass with a nice fresh gasket. I might actually do this myself if all the work I put in dropping the head liner and cleaning both front and rear drains ends up not taking care of my wet floor boards.

Honestly, I'd just buy the whole new assembly. I think the whole thing is around $500 and that includes new glass with a nice fresh gasket. I might actually do this myself if all the work I put in dropping the head liner and cleaning both front and rear drains ends up not taking care of my wet floor boards.
Patrick, are you sure the water's not coming from your lower windshield corners? My '94 showed no signs of water there no matter how long and hard I hit it with the hose but I stood there in the pouring rain for about 30 minutes one day and finally traced it to that. It also depends on the nose up/down angle when I park.

$500 for a whole new assembly sounds great! Have you seen them available for that price anywhere? I've been quoted $900 just for the rails from my local Toyota dealership with discount and I'm not even sure if they come with the cables.

Patrick, are you sure the water's not coming from your lower windshield corners? My '94 showed no signs of water there no matter how long and hard I hit it with the hose but I stood there in the pouring rain for about 30 minutes one day and finally traced it to that. It also depends on the nose up/down angle when I park.

Which angle have you found to be better for preventing water in from the lower corners? Mine has some slight evidence of moisture from there but also the wet floorboards in the second row. I am going through the sunroof drain tubes today but have been considering some silicone under the lower windshield corners to keep it from getting worse.

Which angle have you found to be better for preventing water in from the lower corners? Mine has some slight evidence of moisture from there but also the wet floorboards in the second row. I am going through the sunroof drain tubes today but have been considering some silicone under the lower windshield corners to keep it from getting worse.
Honestly, uphill or downhill depends on the tree cover of whichever driveway slot I get and direction/intensity of rain. I did shoot the glass side of the gasket full of sealant to no success. I taped it up with silver hvac tape for the hurricane and it held great! Yeah, ghetto. That’s how I role on a trail rig.

In my experience, second row wetness is almost almost always trickle down from the front (windshield OR sunroof drains) when pointing uphill unless you’re letting in stupidly massive amounts of water somewhere else. Might even make it to the back. Clear your sunroof drains and make sure the drain slots are clear and one of the 2 rubber plugs near them (for the fronts) is removed.

Do you ever drip water from near the A-pillar grab handle in heavy rains? It will land on the window controls or your left leg (if on driver side). That’s your front sunroof drains being very clogged.

Meh....scratch this. Terrible interweb reading by me. Here`s a diagram of the sunroof.

Sunroof for 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser | Toyota Parts

I just glanced at it and thought the first line item was the whole assembly. Sorry for the fake news.

The GUIDERAILS are $400 each!!!??

Yeah, when I dropped the headliner I tested the drains and saw how they were over flowing. Snaked the drains with a long piece of 12 gauge solid copper wire from some romex with a bit of a rag on the end. Nasty stuff came out of those drains. I think the gasket around the glass has shrunk over time and lets too much water by and the drains cant keep up if theyre even a little blocked.

Some have added material to that gasket with success. Bicycle inner tube is one if the things used to plump it up. There are some threads you'll find about it.
Something like inserting stuff inside the gasket so it seals more tightly.

I have two roofs cut from 92s. If you pm me in a week I can check them out and get you what you want. I’m currently away from home for a week. I’d be glad to dig out the parts you need and send them to you for the time and cost of shipping.

Last edited:
Following. Looking for some info. Mine is also broken. Currently pulled out as I dropped the headliner to clean it.

I ended up ordering a full used assembly from CruiserYard.com for about the same price as just one of the new rails. Should arrive in a week or so. I'll let you know how the install goes.

Installed the new sunroof assembly. I swapped in my old sun shade first to match the interior. Also took the opportunity to add some sound dampening material to the roof. Since the sunroof was already assembled, I didn't need to calibrate it. Alignment was perfect on the first try. The gasket around the glass is in fantastic shape. All in all it was pretty time consuming, but not terribly difficult provided you keep all the bolts and screws organized. I would rather repair 10 sunroofs than do one PHH again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom