1992 3FE FJ80 Exhaust System (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a FJ80 and are looking into replacing the exhaust system from the downpipes coming off the block back. Problem is, the two pipes come down, have an oxygen sensor in each and have what appears to be a make shift collector welded on that leaks and is making it almost impossible to find a muffler shop to work on. Any advice on what is suppose to be stock and where I could order oem fitiment would be appreciated. In addition, I am in the Central Florida area ( Closer to Daytona) should anyone on here know of a shop that can handle these types of replacements.

Search will turn up further options, but I personally had a custom car shop fab up a full stainless system (including hangers) from the manifold back considering I struggled with finding OEM replacements as well.

It wasn't cheap at $1500.00 - but at least I'm done with it.

I recently purchased a FJ80 and are looking into replacing the exhaust system from the downpipes coming off the block back. Problem is, the two pipes come down, have an oxygen sensor in each and have what appears to be a make shift collector welded on that leaks and is making it almost impossible to find a muffler shop to work on. Any advice on what is suppose to be stock and where I could order oem fitiment would be appreciated. In addition, I am in the Central Florida area ( Closer to Daytona) should anyone on here know of a shop that can handle these types of replacements.

You can search for a catalytic converter on amazon and some come with the down tube attached so you could return to stock. Did one on mine a month ago for about $150. Don't forget to buy exhaust gaskets for each end and o2 sensor as they will probably be shot. Mine was rusted on horribly but otherwise its fairly simple install.

I've purchased several sets from these guys with good results.
Direct Fit Discount Catalytic Converters

The stock configuration is 2 individual downpipes with welded converters and O2 sensor bungs before each cat. There is a Y-pipe after the cats that joins the 2 into 1 and makes a bend and goes over the rear output flange of the transfer case.

When replacing mine, I ordered a full set of OEM hardware and exhaust donuts. If your Y-pipe is toast, then you'll have to source that as well.

You can search for a catalytic converter on amazon and some come with the down tube attached so you could return to stock. Did one on mine a month ago for about $150. Don't forget to buy exhaust gaskets for each end and o2 sensor as they will probably be shot. Mine was rusted on horribly but otherwise its fairly simple install.
Thanks for the information. Everything appears to be held in place with Bailing wire, lol. Will need to weld in new brackets

Search will turn up further options, but I personally had a custom car shop fab up a full stainless system (including hangers) from the manifold back considering I struggled with finding OEM replacements as well.

Same challenge that I am running into. I will be taking this route as well for trying to pieece this together is a pain. Money well spent.

The stock configuration is 2 individual downpipes with welded converters and O2 sensor bungs before each cat. There is a Y-pipe after the cats that joins the 2 into 1 and makes a bend and goes over the rear output flange of the transfer case.

When replacing mine, I ordered a full set of OEM hardware and exhaust donuts. If your Y-pipe is toast, then you'll have to source that as well.
What the existing system is on mine is it has the two down pipes with sensors in each, then goes into what appears to be a homemade collector that was done poorly, this connects to one cat and then off to the rest of the system which appears to be held in place currently with bailing wire. I think the best option I have at this point is to locate a custom shop that can fabricate a new system for the truck. I am considering putting in a new header system to eliminate the entire two existing down pipes and homemade collector. Do you have any experience with headers on these vehicles? I have seen some headers for as little as 250.00 and others for 1600.

Do you have any experience with headers on these vehicles?
No personal experience, but the folks that have put headers on a 3FE have reported all manner of problems with heat management. IMO, there is nothing to gain with aftermarket headers.

Hi, Most of the aftermarket headers are cheap and poorly built for this truck. Mike

Looks like I will stick with what I have and hope there is an exhaust shop that can put a new system on it. It leaks like a sieve and is noisy as hell. Un-drivable until I get the exhaust system sorted out.

MagnaFlow I believe makes direct replacement catalytic converters. I just ordered a Bosal muffler and tailpipe on Amazon as the PO of my rig sawed it off after smashing it on an obstacle. Local Toyota shop said that is what they are using for OEM quality replacement. Below is the 3FE page.

Bosal Catalog | Bosal USA - OE Exhaust Systems and Catalytic Converters

Last edited:
Regarding headers, don't bother. These motors don't rev, and if they do it's not for a long period of time.

Larger primaries (between the manifold, and the cats) do seem to help a bit. Both my EMS exhaust (which I replaced, and I'm still mad about), and the new setup have large primaries.

Where did you get that exhaust done ? im In NYC with no local options... would be happy to almost any place with in 400 miles..

@BRKLYN1 Ian's Speed Shop IAN'S SPEED SHOP Ltd.

Good guy. Terrific work. Just use usual precautions when dealing with him (or any good custom guy).. meaning, expect the work to take longer than quoted, and be communicative regarding budget and scope. Ian's jobs can go from thousand dollar jobs, to two thousand dollar jobs quickly if you don't keep the scope of work in check.

If you speak with him, you're welcome to mention that I drive a white '91. He'll know who I am.

Jon, looking at these now for Vera, looks simple enough, but are you saying you pick up new Toyota gaskets and skip the ones that ship with the cats?

Did you get the O2 sensors from this same company? Thanks!

Vera Cats.JPG

Jon, looking at these now for Vera, looks simple enough, but are you saying you pick up new Toyota gaskets and skip the ones that ship with the cats?

Did you get the O2 sensors from this same company? Thanks!
I always use OEM donuts and hardware. Same goes for my LX450.
O2 sensors were OEM or Denso equivalent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom