1972 fj40 fst restoration. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Indygbd

SILVER Star
Threads
I have had this 1972 fj40 fst for years now. It has 42,000 original miles. I purchased it in pieces from the guy who owned it since 1974. I have his original title from 1974. He took it apart in 1978 to build a rock crawler. Thank God he didn't get to far with the project before he met wife, had child, and it sat in the barn until I found it.
The worst part was he left the tub sor on a dirt barn floor for 30 years and the moisture rotted the tub floor completely out. I luckily found a rust free California tub courtesy of Rob Tygart.
I have been hoarding new oem parts for years for it. New oem fst brackets, new oem door safety straps, new oem f exhaust manifold, new OEM fst tailgate, new oem brake lever, switches, reflectors, lights, all new oem fst weather stripping, new oem rims, ect.........
Frame is powder coated with a hammer tone black powder coat. It gives it a rippled effect and hides some midwest pitting. New Old Man Emu installed on the front. I did a front axle swap with disc brakes, rebuilt front axle using all oem parts today. New Toyota brake calipers, new toyota front disc, new toyota rebuild kit.
More to come soon.
The original color was Rustic Green. Thought about going nebula green. Any thoughts on color? My favorite color is nordic blue however not an early 70 color so not sure I should hop that direction even though I think it would look sweet with a white fst top and doors.

20170823_134818.jpg

20170924_113537.jpg

20180926_114631.jpg

20180926_132555.jpg

20180926_155708.jpg

Mine is a 69FST. Really nice tub you got from Cali. Likewise look forward to you build. m

I have had this 1972 fj40 fst for years now. It has 42,000 original miles. I purchased it in pieces from the guy who owned it since 1974. I have his original title from 1974. He took it apart in 1978 to build a rock crawler. Thank God he didn't get to far with the project before he met wife, had child, and it sat in the barn until I found it.
The worst part was he left the tub sor on a dirt barn floor for 30 years and the moisture rotted the tub floor completely out. I luckily found a rust free California tub courtesy of Rob Tygart.
I have been hoarding new oem parts for years for it. New oem fst brackets, new oem door safety straps, new oem f exhaust manifold, new OEM fst tailgate, new oem brake lever, switches, reflectors, lights, all new oem fst weather stripping, new oem rims, ect.........
Frame is powder coated with a hammer tone black powder coat. It gives it a rippled effect and hides some midwest pitting. New Old Man Emu installed on the front. I did a front axle swap with disc brakes, rebuilt front axle using all oem parts today. New Toyota brake calipers, new toyota front disc, new toyota rebuild kit.
More to come soon.
The original color was Rustic Green. Thought about going nebula green. Any thoughts on color? My favorite color is nordic blue however not an early 70 color so not sure I should hop that direction even though I think it would look sweet with a white fst top and doors.

View attachment 1798252

View attachment 1798255

View attachment 1798256

View attachment 1798257

View attachment 1798258
So that front axle was a direct swap? Everything bolted up and good to go? Thinking about the same for my '72.

If your new tub doesn’t have the oem fst hinges let me know. I have a nice alternative.
what are the alternatives?

subscribed

Excited to see this build. Glad I got my OEM bows and fst doors from ya when I did!

Last edited:
I have a pair of early FST doors if you need them we can make a deal.
Dyno

I have a pair of early FST doors if you need them we can make a deal.
Dyno
Thanks, however I have new oem fst mounting brackets, new oem fst tailgate, used oem bows, andused oem fst doors.

I have been a bit lazy this winter. This project will now be a spring/summer project. I took all the parts to get blasted. Bare steel hides nothing. This fst will be very clean when its done. Here are some photos.

20190413_184609.jpg

20190413_184509.jpg

20190413_184551.jpg

20190413_184554.jpg

20190413_184653.jpg

Man oh Man does this look familiar! I'd love to park our two side by side when they're both done. Some of the pictures in our two builds could easily be mistaken for the other thread. I'll be watching...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom