Who has a drone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
I guess this will go here being it's radio controlled.... I picked up a DJI Mavic Pro a few months back, pretty darn cool. I am seeing this being used more and more for various applications.

Jason have you used the drone to gps locations? I want to map trees on my property in thick woods. I have read that some hover over a tree and capture a still photo with the gps coordinates. Are you happy with the Mavic Pro? Is it your first drone and have you busted it up?

Hey D

I have not used it for GPS purposes, although you probably could with the right software, I have not looked into that. I am very pleased with it, it's fun and serves it's purpose. This is my first but went for the best under $1500. I had just 1 minor crash, it broke the gimbal cover in my first week. Practice practice practice.

I"ve had several and for now I'm settled in with the DJI Phantom 4 pro. Love everything about it except it's size when transporting... that's where the mavic wins.

The only issue i see now is that more and more places are saying no drones which really sucks. I just can't wrap my head around why national parks are saying no drones... you are in the wilderness! anyways, that's a soapbox

My son has a 3DR solo. We have used it for land surveying sort of. To look for easier paths up canyons and through Alder groves. Some guys are using them for hunt scouting, in AK the regs State you can’t scout by air (manned or drone) the same day you are hunting.

3DR actually got out of the consumer drone business. The story of 3DR and DJI is pretty sad - 3DR is the American company that advanced autonomous dron tech and DJI (China) subcontracted to build for them then took their Tech and produced their own and under cut the price...

Anyway 3DR now does professional land survey and construction site mapping software for drones.

Also he rarely flys anymore it as restrictions have gotten pretty rediculous. There is almost no where he can fly it even up here in AK.

I had played with the (cheap) smaller drones, but have never been able to justify the cost of one of the nice ones.

A friend has gotten heavily involved with them. He dropped off an obsolete DJI Phantom II Vision+ w/ a broken camera, along with a pelican case full of parts and accessories as a gift. I have repaired the camera, and started fiddling around with flying it. It's a whole lot easier to fly than the little cheap ones, and I am starting to understand why someone might be willing to spend that kind of money for a nice drone. I haven't found a real "purpose" for it yet, but it is kind of fun, and the technology is pretty cool.

well, you can think of it the same way as we don't need huge tires to crawl over huge rocks, but we sure do enjoy it.

I have 2 mavic pro's the are perfect out in the desert you will need to use filters as it will wash out the sand, but once you got it down pat your good to go, I have two because my first one(pratice practice practice) ended up props down for 200ft, so. But you can use them to tag locations (trees etc) and you can use them for search rescue with an upgraded monitor. they are precise and 4K under a grand now.

Here Im flying my mavic whilst navigating goldbar rim moab

you should of used the follow or tracking mode.

hmmm... i had no problems using those modes. I do have the phantom 4 pro but that shouldn't matter.

Interesting.

Just scored a new DJI mavic pro 2 with the haselbla camera it makes using follw me tracking etc as easy as it should have been plus the 1in sensor is serious. PLUS the gimbal is actually the real deal.

sweet! I think i would get the one that zooms instead, but still, great drone! If i wrap my current phantom 4 pro around another power line i'll probably go with the mavic

sweet! I think i would get the one that zooms instead, but still, great drone! If i wrap my current phantom 4 pro around another power line i'll probably go with the mavic
best thing about the MP2 is the cameras are interchangable the hasselblad is far and away beter than the zoom

This was a pretty cool video from a guy who has flown and crashed a lot of drones

This was a pretty cool video from a guy who has flown and crashed a lot of drones

YEA BUT HES PAID TO REVIEW, SO TOUGH TO TELL, PLUS HES AN UGLY MFer

The video of the new vs legacy drones in the latter half were beneficial. Assuming they were unaltered.

I was in the western slope area earlier this month doing some fishing. They are in a drought so some of the lakes were very dry. Rather than hike a couple miles to and fro to see where a good place to approach was, I pulled out the drone for some aerial surveillance. It was invaluable and told me to go further down the road for a better drop in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom