Tips on removing a stuck fj40 pitman arm? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hey guys. I have to remove my steering box because I got a refurbished one and my old one was leaking. Struggling a lot to remove the pitman arm. I've tried heating it up and lubricating it. Won't budge. Any tips or advice? I would appreciate it. Thank you!!

Have had luck with penetrating lube + heat/cold cycles...

Soak in PB Blaster (or similar penetrating lube), get the assembly hot enough to get a little smoke from the PB Blaster with a propane torch or heat gun, then blast with brake cleaner to cool it while adding more PB. Get the whole mess icy cold, then quickly reheat, directing the heat to the arm rather than the shaft (as best possible). As mentioned above, the hammer tap trick adds to the success rate. May have to repeat the cycle several times. Do this with the puller engaged and under tension, and repeat until she pops.

This has almost always done the trick for me. Good Luck!

Using one. No matter how many turns of the breaker bar, it won't move.

The Only way i have ever gotten them off is to incorporate BOTH a Pit-Man arm Puller & a OXY-Acetylene Torch at the same time

Attach the Puller , make sure u have the one with the Side Jaw Compression Bolts . Apply Mild pressure to the main Puller bolt

Heat the Ring on the arm up Just Below Cherry Red , u will be melting the main shaft seal by this time .

slowly tighten the main puller bolt & adding head at the same time , It should Pop off Before it gets cherry red status

make sure U identify the Match marks outlined in the FSM before separation , if u cant find them due to rust , make a new one

with a dremmel Tool , this step is crucial

the pressure from the puller combined with the expansion from heat is the magic combination

DSCN4626.JPG
DSCN4630.JPG
DSCN4631.JPG
DSCN4678.JPG
DSCN4679.JPG

@mrjordann :

i had the same problem, not able to get the pitman arm to budge with a two jaw puller.

Someone here on 'Mud suggested using one of these:
61inKmN8kWL._SL1500_.jpg

Which is availabe on Amazon as:
OTC 8150 Conical Pitman Arm Puller

The pitman arm had been well soaked in penetrating oil. I tightened this puller up, waiting an hour, and whacked the head of the screw with a hammer and the pitman arm jumped off.

My theory on why this one works better than the two jaw puller is that the force needed to pull the arm off the shaft is so great, that the two jaw puller slightly distorts the splines of the pitman arm, 'locking' it onto the shaft. This conical puller distributes the pulling force over much more of the surface of the pitman arm. NOTE: My theory.

Anyway, buying this puller 'saved the day' in my removal efforts.

So getting the pitman off is one thing.
But when you replace it back on the gear box, how do you know the proper position before tightening it down?

devo
There are witness marks on the pitman arm and the end of the output shaft.

I have a rebuilt box from some other 40. It was on the shelf at the gear box shop.

If I line up those marks it seems to be off . The pitman will swing more aft than forward. Seems it’s not centered?

I know I can find the center by counting the turns. Mount the gear box, and let the pitman line up with my drag link.

I’ll look things over again before final installation.

If you line up the witness marks, does the pitman lock at the 6 o’clock position or more like 4:30?

Try the two sledge hammers or a hammer and anvil technique. Hold a 15 pound sledge up against the Pitman eye and smack the other side hard with a 5 pound sledge. If you have the box out, you can put it on an anvil. Then use the puller if it doessn’t come off with the hammer blows.

Pinhead's method works. The shaft the Pitman arm is on is tapered and whacking the side of the eye tends to work the arm down the taper. And for those who said to "tap" it with a hammer, forget it! It takes way more than a tap. I soak it in advance with Ole Red, put on and tighten the puller, heat with a propane torch (all I have), whack with a hammer, tighten the puller if possible, heat, whack, tighten, etc. After a few cycles, it will come off. If you get frustrated, soak some more with ole red, tighten the puller and come back the next day.

BTW I ran into a tie rod that was harder to get free than a Pitman arm! Used basically the same procedure and finally got it off. One problem I had was getting my puller to get a good bite. I wound up using a large C clamp across the puller to hold the two arms together. The puller I used was like the one in the second photo of post #6.

Just did this. I had a cheap pitman puller that wasnt working. Local Autozone loans free ($90 security deposit) pitman arm pullers for trucks and SUVs. Looks exactly like the one in RagingMatt’s first photo. Made short work of mine. Less than 5 minutes total. But I had been lubing it and whacking it for a bit with the cheap pitman puller, so maybe that helped.

Did I mention it was free?

The Only way i have ever gotten them off is to incorporate BOTH a Pit-Man arm Puller & a OXY-Acetylene Torch at the same time

Attach the Puller , make sure u have the one with the Side Jaw Compression Bolts . Apply Mild pressure to the main Puller bolt

Heat the Ring on the arm up Just Below Cherry Red , u will be melting the main shaft seal by this time .

slowly tighten the main puller bolt & adding head at the same time , It should Pop off Before it gets cherry red status

make sure U identify the Match marks outlined in the FSM before separation , if u cant find them due to rust , make a new one

with a dremmel Tool , this step is crucial

the pressure from the puller combined with the expansion from heat is the magic combination

View attachment 1794287 View attachment 1794288 View attachment 1794289 View attachment 1794290 View attachment 1794291

Thanks for the advice. I see marks on the end of the Output shaft, but there aren't any on be pitman arm itself, am I correct? Should there be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom