850J questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay so after a lot of research my brain is dead trying to figure this out on my own.

Currently, I have the OME 2.5 medium-lift with the 851 springs in the front. Plans have a front bumper, winch in the future. Would the 850J be too much after the added weight, would the front still sit higher than the rear? The approximate weight added on after the bumper and winch would be an additional 150lbs roughly.

Also, I do plan on adding some plate to the top of the bumper to give it a more finished look too and possibly mount my high lift mount on the bumper also.

Or should I go with the Slee 20mm rubber spacer in the front, it should add approximately 3/4". But the issue there is eventual sagging after some time.

Everyone here is in my mind an expert, compared to myself.

My experience with OME springs is they dont sag with age. With 851 in the front J are going to be too much IMO.

Im Js frontw/10mm spacer and Js in rear to get an idea

FWIW Those are the Coors beer mountains in the background:D

dbzWsuKqQAtfHNhoqaNz-_501sYY55eKYzsXCLyekxPs-zIGV01CQ6DJgVzO3LVhM7P1go2un_XyKYdYlhYGhT46jPv_bYY5en-KtrSllb5YxTr9woLGZ-ufCOzvZ2B6ouZNNyR4uQ5aYf0RsgLAz0-HS_QvNbHDzerq2xE8lv87VGb1t8JrlKTiA6ul6JKY3r4VVhOu0Z7reN02SAzffvh4JDoFqNaMkK-zfSzoBbQ1CbOPuSuPoUqcbnFmahnF4ojHiCV1M0SG1qrZKbjpQzUgp3QBCSYEmlvA7CG1AAygxSIaitCHpGJKyG1gnYaxmE8XhVh_nBNEw5w7SRqRTm7k7ZFt262r9F8aXBfOgIKtEyDt7rDbrLKKISWy5zuMDeAOk-W75HzrMkVeH-X7KHYEfSj4FpXcvYJ4n8pE9rIB3MCIgbJNYkAHa0eJaizIci_Uco4A9Ln7Op1bdpAqnYArVqH4zY9PibcQpFPSijfiG02R5PvezTUFlTCMXvQS9Zn-eiqGNHsUjIe3-HA4kH7pf6-N0Uzv4NmlFyF5cvDLxhQup5vACbOW9RgKxC_IEBBKcNqXrYeoNO6LDK2ZDsnG_pcF8LsSvdWSX4ClIb7o4YU-BvC0AVOOULRCdsRq=w1407-h938-no

Last edited:
You can see my set up pretty plainly in the picture I’ve posted with the exception of the following: Heavy front, medium rear, 35s and heavy Badlands winch with steel rope. The first pic I took and the second was a screenshot but it shows the rake from the back.

Little nose heavy on the heavy coils (non Js). The mediums in the rear load down nicely to level with your average camping stuff.

What rear coils are you running? Do you have plans for more weight?

Like Phil said, mine aren’t saggging with age but the extra weight over the years has caused some drop in height.

C22690B7-6A37-4A74-B9BF-08898FCF2546.png
32C2D108-4D13-4582-A1C4-B059842E1AAA.jpeg

From 7/1/18:
Finally got around to installing the lift I bought 9 months ago......

2.5" OME Heavies
OME 850's in front
OME 863's in rear
OME Nitro 60070 shocks in front
OME Nitro 60020 shocks in rear

It took me about 8.5 hours by myself in the driveway where it sits. The rear was 6 hours but included time to drill and tap one bolt that broke off for installing a new bump stop and about an hour's worth of drilling for a bolt on the main bumpstop inside the spring until I decided to give up because the bolt was so hard. I was going to install a couple shortened bump stops to help my airbags with the lift.

I will post real after measurements in about a week when the suspension settles in a little.

I'm delighted with the ride and the lift. I am guessing about 3" of net lift due to the saggy worn out old springs. Turns out the old shocks were rusted out as well.

This is the AFTER shot.

I have a Badlands 12K winch on the front and 4 OR lights, and no bumper. I don't have a lot of stinkbug in this picture because I'm always carrying a lot of stuff in the rear. I also have a wheelchair lift on the back. Since I've installed these springs, I don't NEED to use the airbags I have installed in the rear springs.

After about 5K miles, the ride has really improved and feels more stable and smooth. I still need to install all new suspension bushings to tighten things up even more.

I think the 850J in front will be too much and it will have the front end nose up. Maybe just the 850 in front.

My net lift from the original sagging suspension (where it was....) ended up at 3-7/16". (Not over stock, just over the old worn-out saggy springs)
after-jpg.1735273

From 7/1/18:
Finally got around to installing the lift I bought 9 months ago......

2.5" OME Heavies
OME 850's in front
OME 863's in rear
OME Nitro 60070 shocks in front
OME Nitro 60020 shocks in rear

It took me about 8.5 hours by myself in the driveway where it sits. The rear was 6 hours but included time to drill and tap one bolt that broke off for installing a new bump stop and about an hour's worth of drilling for a bolt on the main bumpstop inside the spring until I decided to give up because the bolt was so hard. I was going to install a couple shortened bump stops to help my airbags with the lift.

I will post real after measurements in about a week when the suspension settles in a little.

I'm delighted with the ride and the lift. I am guessing about 3" of net lift due to the saggy worn out old springs. Turns out the old shocks were rusted out as well.

This is the AFTER shot.

I have a Badlands 12K winch on the front and 4 OR lights, and no bumper. I don't have a lot of stinkbug in this picture because I'm always carrying a lot of stuff in the rear. I also have a wheelchair lift on the back. Since I've installed these springs, I don't NEED to use the airbags I have installed in the rear springs.

After about 5K miles, the ride has really improved and feels more stable and smooth. I still need to install all new suspension bushings to tighten things up even more.

I think the 850J in front will be too much and it will have the front end nose up. Maybe just the 850 in front.

My net lift from the original sagging suspension (where it was....) ended up at 3-7/16". (Not over stock, just over the old worn-out saggy springs)
after-jpg.1735273
Curious on how you went about determine lift numbers? Im not disagreeing with your findings just for comparison

Curious on how you went about determine lift numbers? Im not disagreeing with your findings just for comparison

From center of hub to bottom of fender flare. Measured before and after. The after was done about two weeks later in the same position in the drive with the same crap in/on/off the truck. Also checked tire pressures before measuring both times.

The 3-7/16" again is over what I HAD, (and an average of all four corners) but NOT over the factory "new spec" springs. I'll look up and find my actual measurements if that's what you're really asking for.......

Because I know you (or someone) has a list of actual based on those numbers.

From center of hub to bottom of fender flare. Measured before and after. The after was done about two weeks later in the same position in the drive with the same crap in/on/off the truck. Also checked tire pressures before measuring both times.

The 3-7/16" again is over what I HAD, (and an average of all four corners) but NOT over the factory "new spec" springs. I'll look up and find my actual measurements if that's what you're really asking for.......

Because I know you (or someone) has a list of actual based on those numbers.

I was trying to understand what you figured stock measurement to be.

I was trying to understand what you figured stock measurement to be.

I don;t have any "stock" dimensions, so I have nothing to compare it to. That's why I was trying to make it clear that it was "over my worn-out stock s***ty, sagged-out collapsed-spring suspension" that was on there when I got it...... :rofl:

Currently, I have the OME 2.5 medium-lift with the 851 springs in the front. Plans have a front bumper, winch in the future. Would the 850J be too much after the added weight, would the front still sit higher than the rear? The approximate weight added on after the bumper and winch would be an additional 150lbs roughly.

What's in the back right now? I ran 850Js in front with 860s in back for years and was unhappy with how it sat, it was still stinkbug. So I went with 865s in back to bring the rear down. I keep my truck pretty unloaded, so depending on what you already have in back, I bet 150 pounds on Js will probably be fairly level.

The thing with these trucks is everybody takes measurements to the fender, and I think it throws people off. My truck is two-toned and you can clearly see that the front wheel opening is higher up on the body than the rear. So when you measure to the fenders, and you're coming up even, you're actually stinkbug. That said, when actually level, visually it might look like you are higher in front.

Phil's shot (sweet truck Phil!) is a perfect example to illustrate this.
7BDLbdc.png

And for reference, here's mine with 850J front, 865 rear. Pretty unloaded, stock bumpers, no third row.
3k08z9a.jpg

My experience with OME springs is they don't sag with age. With 851 in the front J are going to be too much IMO.

Im Js frontw/10mm spacer and Js in rear to get an idea

FWIW Those are the Coors beer mountains in the background:D

dbzWsuKqQAtfHNhoqaNz-_501sYY55eKYzsXCLyekxPs-zIGV01CQ6DJgVzO3LVhM7P1go2un_XyKYdYlhYGhT46jPv_bYY5en-KtrSllb5YxTr9woLGZ-ufCOzvZ2B6ouZNNyR4uQ5aYf0RsgLAz0-HS_QvNbHDzerq2xE8lv87VGb1t8JrlKTiA6ul6JKY3r4VVhOu0Z7reN02SAzffvh4JDoFqNaMkK-zfSzoBbQ1CbOPuSuPoUqcbnFmahnF4ojHiCV1M0SG1qrZKbjpQzUgp3QBCSYEmlvA7CG1AAygxSIaitCHpGJKyG1gnYaxmE8XhVh_nBNEw5w7SRqRTm7k7ZFt262r9F8aXBfOgIKtEyDt7rDbrLKKISWy5zuMDeAOk-W75HzrMkVeH-X7KHYEfSj4FpXcvYJ4n8pE9rIB3MCIgbJNYkAHa0eJaizIci_Uco4A9Ln7Op1bdpAqnYArVqH4zY9PibcQpFPSijfiG02R5PvezTUFlTCMXvQS9Zn-eiqGNHsUjIe3-HA4kH7pf6-N0Uzv4NmlFyF5cvDLxhQup5vACbOW9RgKxC_IEBBKcNqXrYeoNO6LDK2ZDsnG_pcF8LsSvdWSX4ClIb7o4YU-BvC0AVOOULRCdsRq=w1407-h938-no

So you are running the Js front and rear but have a 10mm spacer in the front correct?

I was looking at the 851 as a possibility as well. I think they are closer to .50-.75 of an inch longer than my current setup vs. the 1.0" that the J is in length.

You can see my set up pretty plainly in the picture I’ve posted with the exception of the following: Heavy front, medium rear, 35s and heavy Badlands winch with steel rope. The first pic I took and the second was a screenshot but it shows the rake from the back.

Little nose heavy on the heavy coils (non Js). The mediums in the rear load down nicely to level with your average camping stuff.

What rear coils are you running? Do you have plans for more weight?

Like Phil said, mine aren’t saggging with age but the extra weight over the years has caused some drop in height.

View attachment 1793851 View attachment 1793852

Yes I do plan on adding weight and the has begun with the addition of my bumper.

IMG_0515 copy.jpg

So you are running the Js front and rear but have a 10mm spacer in the front correct?

I was looking at the 851 as a possibility as well. I think they are closer to .50-.75 of an inch longer than my current setup vs. the 1.0" that the J is in length.

Dont overlook my 80 weight is 7100lbs

Dont overlook my 80 weight is 7100lbs

I think when I can I'll swap out the 2.5" med which according to Slee's sight are 851 to the 850 with a 10 or 20 mm spacer. Or should I go with the .78 spacer they have listed on their site or go with 850J?

If I swap the 851 in favor of the 850J is there driveline components that I will have to change out?

According to the PDF available on Slee's site, these are the lengths for the springs in question:

851: 485mm
850: 505mm
850J: 525mm

The 850 comes standard in the heavy 2.5 kit the 851 comes with the medium package. The rear spring for the med kit is the 860. I think I am going to go with the 850 with a 10mm or 20 mm spacer due to the added/future weight.

Last edited:
I think when I can I'll swap out the 2.5" med which according to Slee's sight are 851 to the 850 with a 10 or 20 mm spacer. Or should I go with the .78 spacer they have listed on their site or go with 850J?

If I swap the 851 in favor of the 850J is there driveline components that I will have to change out?

According to the PDF available on Slee's site, these are the lengths for the springs in question:

851: 485mm
850: 505mm
850J: 525mm

The 850 comes standard in the heavy 2.5 kit the 851 comes with the medium package. The rear spring for the med kit is the 860. I think I am going to go with the 850 with a 10mm or 20 mm spacer due to the added/future weight.

What is your end goal?
What is your caster plan?
The higher you go the more things that will need to be or you will want to addressed.

What is your end goal?
What is your caster plan?
The higher you go the more things that will need to be or you will want to addressed.

Well I wanna level up the front if that requires me doing springs and/or spacers.

Caster I was going to use the caster plates from Slee, sending back the caster bushings.

I really only want .5-.75 higher in the front to compensate for the added weight

Well I wanna level up the front if that requires me doing springs and/or spacers.

Caster I was going to use the caster plates from Slee, sending back the caster bushings.

I really only want .5-.75 higher in the front to compensate for the added weight

The common standard (if one) for the loaded level look for most 80's is 850J and 863. As you add weight you can spacer the rear if needed. This set up works well with caster plates. FYI Slee, Metal tech, and a couple others provide the exact amount of correction so unless you are loyal to a vendor buy on price and availability.

The common standard (if one) for the loaded level look for most 80's is 850J and 863. As you add weight you can spacer the rear if needed. This set up works well with caster plates. FYI Slee, Metal tech, and a couple others provide the exact amount of correction so unless you are loyal to a vendor buy on price and availability.

I am returning my Slee caster correction bushings for the Slee caster correction brackets/plates.

Thank you all for the input, it is much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom