72 Hours - Bought a Puppy & a 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

image.jpeg
Every 100 owner should have a puppy

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

@04Sport - He's been surprisingly easy to train! I think we got a good one. Always go for the runt.

@YotaV8 I'd like to get some mud flaps asap - I've seen differing opinions - is OEM the way to go? And if so, is there a benefit to calling this guy Cruiser Dan in ABQ that I've read about? My research says they're about $100. I've been debating between OEM and a set of Rally Armors, which only cost about $25. Not sure if the savings is worth the effort of having to modify them and figure out how to mount them.

@Carlos Lozano yeah, I noticed that the rake is a little extreme. It does level out a decent amount when the back is loaded up with camping gear. I called a local shop about having them adjusted. They said they'd just charge for labor and that the bill should come in south of their $85/hr rate. I read that it needs to be up on a lift and the alignment should be checked aftewards, so I'm under the impression that I shouldn't attempt it myself since my 'garage' right now consists of street parking, a sears tool kit, and some Mechanix gloves. Does it seem like I'm on the right track - Is taking it to a shop the way to go in my situation?

@2000 LC - You sound old! I'm happy to be out west right now, but Pittsburgh is a happening place in this day and age...

@erikvogel - Great to hear there's someone else out here from Western PA - drop me a note if you'd ever like to meet up. It would be great to get to know another LC owner in SLC.

@costalcat - that all sounds spot on. I think I made the right choice with the 100, especially considering my budget. The Syncro is just such a unicorn though... maybe down the road.

@Bear Lake Cruiser - so many places. I could take a trip every weekend this summer and still not feel done

@SWUtah - Thats a good looking retriever!

More pics of the dog and a recent trip to Great Basin NP coming soon.

@costalcat - that all sounds spot on. I think I made the right choice with the 100, especially considering my budget. The Syncro is just such a unicorn though... maybe down the road.

Yes ,Syncros are those rigs that get the Stop & Stare on the trail!!

Here are some more pics if you want, the double cab is a Doka Syncro with an SVX subbie engine conversion. Mine is a 1.9 TDI conversion with a rear locker and lift .... Red Westy Orginal Syncro not a conversion...

Syncro

Funny I have jeeps and other vehicles in the pics but no Toyotas just realized that... Gonna have to fix that soon!

Enjoy the ride, Utah is great BTW, I bring my kids to Solitude every January for 5 days... Best snow...

@04Sport - He's been surprisingly easy to train! I think we got a good one. Always go for the runt.

@YotaV8 I'd like to get some mud flaps asap - I've seen differing opinions - is OEM the way to go? And if so, is there a benefit to calling this guy Cruiser Dan in ABQ that I've read about? My research says they're about $100. I've been debating between OEM and a set of Rally Armors, which only cost about $25. Not sure if the savings is worth the effort of having to modify them and figure out how to mount them.

@Carlos Lozano yeah, I noticed that the rake is a little extreme. It does level out a decent amount when the back is loaded up with camping gear. I called a local shop about having them adjusted. They said they'd just charge for labor and that the bill should come in south of their $85/hr rate. I read that it needs to be up on a lift and the alignment should be checked aftewards, so I'm under the impression that I shouldn't attempt it myself since my 'garage' right now consists of street parking, a sears tool kit, and some Mechanix gloves. Does it seem like I'm on the right track - Is taking it to a shop the way to go in my situation?

@2000 LC - You sound old! I'm happy to be out west right now, but Pittsburgh is a happening place in this day and age...

@erikvogel - Great to hear there's someone else out here from Western PA - drop me a note if you'd ever like to meet up. It would be great to get to know another LC owner in SLC.

@Bear Lake Cruiser - so many places. I could take a trip every weekend this summer and still not feel done

@SWUtah - Thats a good looking retriever!

More pics of the dog and a recent trip to Great Basin NP coming soon.

Save yourself the hassle and go OEM. Just make sure you order the mounting brackets and hardware since they do not come as a single "kit".

Hi all. Its been a long time since I last updated. I've been doing some automotive enthusiast writing lately for Autotrader.com/Oversteer, a lot of which has included documenting my Land Cruiser exploits. I've linked all of my Land Cruiser articles below - I figure that's easier than posting everything here.

As far as ownership experience goes... there's a lot of good stuff in that Ownership Report article.

The Answer is Always... Toyota Land Cruiser

Trip Report: Overlanding in Moab

The Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Museum Exists and is Free to Visit

Trip Report: Western Wyoming is Incredible

Ownership Report: A Year and a Half with a 20 Year Old Toyota Land Cruiser

My Land Cruiser's Brake Exploded on the Top of a Mountain

Trip Report: Colorado's San Juan Mountains in a Toyota Land Cruiser

Also, add me on Instagram if you'd like:
Pesonal Account
My MountainWestCarSpotter Page

Since my last post, I've added a $150 Amazon roof rack, and removed some stickers... and thats about it for the fun stuff. I put some serious mileage on it this summer, and have put on about 15,000 since buying it a year and seven months ago (currently pushing 230k). Altogether... what an amazing tool for really getting out and exploring your world. The things this vehicle has enabled me to do I had only dreamed of before I bought it - buying a Land Cruiser can really be seen as an inflection point in my life. I'll take these experiences with me for as long as I live, with many more to come hopefully, all while behind the wheel of a Land Cruiser.

Recently it spring a power steering fluid leak and is currently in the shop for a new rack and pinion (the guys at Firestone who did the oil change last month were right...) Not a pleasant repair, but I'm eager to have it back on the road.

Thanks for reading!

-Chris

I checked out your instagram. Love the bits of history on unique interesting cars.

Yet no current pic of that pup!?! ;)

Ha, so Doug Demuro is your boss and you've worked with Tyler Hoovies. You can go help him out with his $2100 LX470 build.

Chris,
Been reading your articles for awhile. Good to finally find you here on Mud. You're doing great work, keep it up!

@vjr021 Thanks! Already found a good one (girlfriend that is, apparently I picked somewhat of a lemon of a Land Cruiser...)

@ALowe628 Thank you! I'm always happy to hear that people enjoy the captions - I love sharing the info.

@hickuptruck Already sent Tyler Hoover an email about his LX, hoping I can help him out a little.

@PabloCruise We got him from a breeder in Payson, about an hour and 15 minutes south of SLC. He's a great dog. Send me a PM if you want their contact info.

@OutoftheMud Thank you and thanks for reading! I really appreciate the complements and I'm glad you enjoy the articles. That's pretty cool to find someone on here who reads my stuff. And I hope I'm doing the Land Cruiser community justice!

@Manhattan and everyone else: He was the runt. He's the smallest golden retriever I've ever seen - almost two and only 45 lbs.
DSC04403.JPG
DSC05009.JPG

Hey all,

Thought everyone might enjoy this video and article i did on the only BXD20 Civilian Toyota Mega Cruiser in the Western Hemisphere. It resides at the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum which is exactly 2.2 miles from where I live.

Behold - the most comprehensive Civilian Mega Cruiser Review on the Internet!

And here's a link to the accompanying article on Autotrader.com/Oversteer - Here's Why the Toyota Mega Cruiser is the World's Greatest 4x4

PS its been over a year since my 233k mile 100 Series has needed anything more than an oil change... knock on wood.

Indeed. She loves that third-row AC.

How do they do in Summer heat. It gets pretty hot and humid where I live. A friend is thinking about getting a couple of GP pups and raising them along with a few Alpaca. The idea being the GP's will guard the livestock.

We have about 4 months of brutally hot weather here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom